Elephants Can Remember

AriadneAriadne Texas, United States
Just started this one and am enjoying it so far. I love that it has Ariadne Oliver in it so much! She's one of my favorite characters, and I keep laughing at things she does and says. I think the story gets interesting right away with Ariadne being asked the odd question by that "odious woman". Spoiler Alert...........................................I'm intrigued by the wigs and keep trying to figure out what they could mean. Hmmmm.....Of course I hardly ever figure things out, except maybe a small clue, but that's part of the fun, IMO!

What did y'all think of the book? Oh, by the way, I'm not finished with it - only about halfway through, so no spoilers, please. Thanks! :)

Comments

• strawberry13funstrawberry13fun Bromley, United Kingdom
    edited March 2016
    I think that the book is amazing and Ariadne is in it which makes it even better!!!!!!!!!! The tv adaption did not do the book justice! The book is so enjoyable,I hope you like the ending as much as I did! 

HOORAY!!!

You can be proud of yourself!  You found the third little soldier boy!

And Then There Were None was first published in 1939, and World War II has had numerous influences on the work and its legacy.  When Christie dramatized the book in 1943, she changed the novel’s ending to a more upbeat one in part because war-weary audiences needed an escape.  The initial production of the play became a temporary casualty of the war when the St. James’s Theatre was severely damaged from a bombing, but the show switched theaters several days later and continued.  Another big change Christie made was changing the General’s name from MacArthur to Mackenzie.  This was because of the real-life WWII figure of the American General Douglas MacArthur– he was largely unknown in England in 1939, but by 1943 he was well-known and the change was made to differentiate from the real man.  The current miniseries has reinstated the General’s original name.

Certain adaptations have stressed the WWII era.  The current miniseries reflects the anxieties of the impending war, and the computer game adaptation included a subplot where it turns out that one of the guests is quite possibly a Nazi spy, and that the island may potentially be a useful submarine base during the war.

And just like the first two soldier boys, this one has a word written on the base: “Ogilvie.”  Well, well.  There seems to be some sort of pattern here, but was does it mean and what is the Mystery Man trying to say?

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I have 30 Pages Left and I am loving it, I might decide it is my 3rd Favourite Ariadne/Poirot Book
    I finished Elephants Can Remember last night, I hadn't read it for over 30 years, I loved it, perhaps I read what Agatha Christie wanted us to read and not what was in the book but I didn't notice mistakes except one where Mrs Oliver was called Mr Oliver, I thought there was a lovely Cameo from Spence, I think it might be my 3rd favourite Ariadne Book after, Cards On The Table and Mrs McGinty's Dead, 3rd best Plot
  • How can u write such rubbish. Elephants can remember is absolute dross. Written when AC was past it, Only greed allowed it to be published
  • Peebee said:
    How can u write such rubbish. Elephants can remember is absolute dross. Written when AC was past it, Only greed allowed it to be published
    Now YOU write rubbish. And please beahve yourself. How can you know what allowed the book to be publish? And more, the fact that you don't like it, doesn't mean that nobody must not like it. Everybody has his tastes and preferences. Lots of people don't like "Murder on the Links", which is my favourite book, but I will never say "How can you..."
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    Peebee said:
    How can u write such rubbish. Elephants can remember is absolute dross. Written when AC was past it, Only greed allowed it to be published
    Perhaps you need to be reminded of the fact that on this cite we respect each other's opinions and thoughts.
    HEAR HEAR Teddybg and Glalonzo, You are absolutely right, everone has their own opinions and every bodyis entiled to them, so you didn't like it Peebee, fair enough that doesn't give you the right to ridicule people who do, you have a right to state your Opinion but you also must do it in a  curtious way.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I finished Elephants Can Remember last night, I hadn't read it for over 30 years, I loved it, perhaps I read what Agatha Christie wanted us to read and not what was in the book but I didn't notice mistakes except one where Mrs Oliver was called Mr Oliver, I thought there was a lovely Cameo from Spence, I think it might be my 3rd favourite Ariadne Book after, Cards On The Table and Mrs McGinty's Dead, 3rd best Plot
    I agree. When I first read this book, I didn't like it very much. Years later, I re-read and I thought it's quite enjoyable. But, of course, it isn'tas good as Cards on the table (a masterpiece) and Mrs McGinty's Dead.