The Mystery Of The Blue Train

What are other fans opinion of The Mystery Of The Blue Train-  the following post contains  SPOILERS!!!    

I read that Agatha Christie really hated the book. It's not surprising if you taken into account what was going on her life at that time.  But the book was much better than I expected it. The pace is a slower one than in many Poirot stories. But that's not a bad thing, as we get to learn more about the characters. 

I was surprised by one of the murderers and I can't figure out why the end didn't feel right. I also didn't feel that Katherine grey getting married seemed to fit. 

As for the adaption- I couldn't watch it to the end. It was so full of spoilt, obnoxious characters! In fact I had no sympathy for the victim at all in the adapt.

For fans I pose the question- how many murders took place on trains in all of Agatha Christie's works?

Comments

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I can't agree more, MissQuin. I think the murderers (one or both) don't seem right. It's quite surprising to discover that they did it. I think it's the major "problem". In second place, I would say that it is the way they did, but as you wrote on the your post about it,  "Murder in Mesopotamia" is implausible and you like it and I also like it very much and also agree with you about being implausible.
    Maybe it's the motive SPOILERS. I think the stolen jewels could be a red herring, but in this case the whole book would have to change and wouldn't be The Blue Train at all. So, I have to dismiss this option.
    Unfortunately (for me, of course) I watched the adaption to the end. As usual, they changed almost everything. Disgusting. The victim is very annoyng and foolish. Totally different from my idea of her. On the other hand, I enjoyed the short story adaption (I think the adaptations of the short stories are much better than the books in general).
    About your question, I would say "The Murder on the Orient Express", "The Plymouth Express" (short story), and "4.50 from Paddington" as far as I can remember.
  • edited November 2013
    I couldn't agree more. The characters in the Blue train adapt are so irritating. Even Poirot came across as being such a intrusive old man who goes peering through gaps in doors! It's a shame as James D'Arcy (I hope I got his name right) is a good actor and it could have been so much better. 

On the other hand, I found the Plymouth Express  a good adaptation. I had a jolt when they discovered he body under the seat!  Although it has a stabbing scene which makes me wince. But it seemed to have a more deception than women impersonating men. It also showed  the relationship between the murderers. I think that's what the Blue train book was missing. 

The stories are practically the same, except The Blue Train has a happier ending for most of the characters. 

I've only read Blue Train once, last year. So when I read it again I will have a good look at any clues hidden.  Death In The Clouds had a huge clue which I missed the first time I read it. I guess that might also be down as "implausble" but is actually one of my favourites. Maybe because of the relationship between the suspects.

• StathisZavitsanosStathisZavitsanos Attiki, Greece
    edited November 2013
    Blue train was the first Poirot I read. I was thrilled. 
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    edited November 2013
    I've read The Blue Train years ago. And as I said before, I really enjoyed it, despite its ending.
     I think you´re right about the relationship between the murderers. If it was showed as it was  in Plymouth Express, it would be an outstanding book. I really enjoy murders that take place on trains or closed rooms(of course, not real murders).
    About the adapt, it is so crazy and senseless that sometimes I asked myself if it was really Blue Train. Everybody is anoying and seems  all of the characters have a nasty secret.
    I've read the A.C wrote the short story first, but I don't know for sure. I think it has happened the same thing to Evil under the sun (she wrote Triangle at Rhodes first and then wrote the book) , but, again, I'm not sure.

• Interestingly the murderers in Triangle at Rhodes are a different set up to Evil Under The Sun. So that threw me off the scent!

I couldn't watch all of Blue Train, it was too awful!
  • I believe the novel is 90 this year as it was published in 1928! 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

I didn't like The Mystery of The Blue Train, I wasn't that enamoured about the Plot or Characters, I thought it was boring and I didn't think much of The Adaptation, I liked Mr Goby in The Book and Josette Somon in the Adaptation.but that is the best I can say about The Book and Adaptation, it is off my Reading list.

Evil Under The Sun is a re-working of The Blood-stained Pavement and Triangle At Rhodes just like The Mystery of The Blue Train is a re-working of The Plymouth Express.