what is your favorite Poirot?

2»

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I shall make a point , of reading that Holmes Story again, Hunters Lodge, Davenheim and Clapham Cook are my 3 favourite Poirot Short Stories.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I like Triangle at Rhodes, a short version of my favorite Poirot.
  • MohanMohan Chennai
    Oh Clapham Cook! 

"M.Poirot, I want you to find my cook." 

For once, Poirot's ready tongue failed him. 

Hastings turns aside to hide his broadening smile.

• MohanMohan Chennai
    I shall make a point , of reading that Holmes Story again, Hunters Lodge, Davenheim and Clapham Cook are my 3 favourite Poirot Short Stories.
    Does no one like Christmas Pudding? I have read it umpteen times and never seem to tire of it. To me, it's one of the best feel-good and fun short stories. I really like the way Christie has made the children one of the main focuses in this one. I could write a whole lot more about why I like this one so much! 
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I like it a lot, @Mohan. It's really one of her best short stories. 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I like it too, I have started reading it every Christmas.
  • MohanMohan Chennai
    Oh Clapham Cook!

"I want you to find my cook." 

For once  Poirot's ready tongue failed him. 

And Hastings turns his face away to hide his broadening smile...
  • Getting back to "Evil under the sun" - the Ustinov movie, they did something that I felt made the story tighter and better for a movie - MOVIE SPOILER - they changed the characters to have a connection to the victim. The Gardeners are not just american tourists but producers who expected Arlena to be in their next project, while she reneged on her contract, causing them a loss; instead of the (suspectedly unbalanced) reverend, there is the effeminate scandal writer who Arlena is threatening to sue if he publishes his book about her; Blatt is after Arlena because she stole a jewel from him. That makes for a lot of credible suspects. I was rather sorry they eliminated Rosamund, but replacing her with an Irene Castle - an old flame of Marshal, kind, spicy and an old rival of Arlena - was brilliant! So, movie-wise - this is still my favorite.
    I watched the Ustinov version of Evil Under the Sun, and I can't say that I like it. It had more of the feel of the 1980's "The Mirror Crack'd" production with Angela Lansbury as Miss Marple -- the catty, conniving women rivals, campy feel, etc, etc. The tone was too animated for an Agatha Christie, whereas, the Suchet version was too serious and omitted comic relief from some of the other characters in the book, instead reverting humor to Poirot's medical obesity, and . . . .who can forget? Changing Linda Marshall to . . . .LIONEL??? Suchet's version is mediocre, Ustinov's version is just too much for me. Both productions in my opinion pales in comparison to the book, which still stands tall and proud . . . thank goodness  ;)