Which Mary Westmacotts novel have you read?

Pat_septemberPat_september Gauteng, South Africa
Must admit, my very first Mary Westmacotts will be on my Christmas wish list :)

Comments

• I've not read any but I'd like to. I read Jared Cade's book Agatha Christie and The 11 Missing Days. I found it enjoyable, although some "facts" have been questioned as to accuracy. But the book really did give away the endings of the Mary Westmacotts, which is rather annoying. I later skipped over those details. 

I wonder which book is people's favourite? I like Daphne Du Maurier's works, so I'm wondering if there's any similarities. 
  • Pat_septemberPat_september Gauteng, South Africa
    I also adore Daphne Du Maurier. Although I've recently read snippets of her biography, so now it is hard to separate the author from the woman... The same happened with Enin Blyton, excuse me, such catchy children's stories and such a prolific author, but I stop here...

I am hoping Christie's romantic novels won't be too dark (see Du Maurier). I expect them to be somehow...brainy? Or to have their wits about them..
    ~O)

Until I read one I don't want to read anything that was being said about them - same as Curtain, haven;t read it yet, don't intend to - won't even buy it and will make sure I stay away from the movie when it will come out on DVD . show on TV
    :D
  • edited December 2013
    That's a good idea!

I saw the infamous programme Enid about Blyton (played by Helena Bonham Carter) and I wonder how true it was? Because she was so so nasty. One of her daughters said it was true and the other seems to say it wasn't and has happy memories. I now never go by what anyone say's and try to accept there author for their literature.
    Du Maurier-still trying to find time to read my cousin Rachel. The Birds just left me asking "what?!" - no it's not romance and not like the Hitchcock film.

I've read that the AC stories are very unguarded when she thought no-one knew it was her writing. They are said to reflect more of her own thoughts.  I'm not sure that some are romances. I love Wuthering Heights but I get mad at the word "romance" used for it  because it's about love but a destructive love, so is that romance?! I confuse myself.

I will put them on my library list. 

• Pat_septemberPat_september Gauteng, South Africa
    It is interesting how two siblings will need love and affection in different ways - and they will require it in different ways a swell. so i can believe that Blyton's daughters had opposite memories of their shared childhood.
    But it is soooo time consuming and energy engulfing looking after children - and in those times they had a nanny and a cook and a maid as well. Blyton was unbelievably prolific as a writer - i do tend to believe that she was neglecting her children. Or she could not have written all those hundreds of stories. No computer, no Dictaphone, just pen and paper...

I loved Christie's own thoughts and writing style in An autobiography. it is my one book that i reach for every now and then.

as for Wuthering Heights, love it, if their sad upbringing could not help them in being happy with the love they shared for each other, what can we do but feel utterly frustrated? Oh yes, we can read it again and again and hope that, one day, Heathcliff and Catherine will have their happy ending. :)
  • I often see comments that famous female writer's children, suggested their mothers spent more time writing, than with them. This is/was the case with Agatha Christie, Daphne Du Maurier and Enid Blyton and probably many more.

Oddly enough, I've not read of anyone saying their writer father neglected them! It must be hard being a writer, a wife and a mother. I can see why Jane Austen never married, simply perhaps she was married to her writing.

Wuthering Heights- SPOILERS  I like to think that after Cathy and Heathcliff had passed on, they were happier after death. They had each other and their beloved moors. After all Cathy said "Heaven did not seem to be my home and I broke my heart with weeping to come back to Earth." So she seems have had her wish at the end. I have to say, that piece of writing nearly broke my heart, it's so poignant!

It's a shame AC didn't write a Gothic romance, that I would have adored. Although she did tragic love stories very well in the Mr Quinn stories. Have you read those Pat?? I hope you don't mind me shortening your username to Pat.

• AmelieGrenierAmelieGrenier Ile-de-France, France
    I read the six of them, I loved them all.

I read Agatha Christie's autobiography before reading them, and I found a lot of her in Unfinished Portrait and Absent in the Spring.

Giant's Bread made me cry, I think it's the first novel that made me cry actually, I remember finishing it on the bus going home and I couldn't stop myself. The Rose and the Yew Tree and The Burden are as well atypical love stories.

It will be a pleasure to reread them. I recommend them all.
  • I read The Burden many years ago, and found it quite haunting.  Haven't read any others.
  • Absent in the Spring, The Rose and the Yew Tree, and Unfinished Portrait. I remember liking Absent in the Spring the most of the three of them. I'd like to read the others one day.

I didn't really think that any of these was that similar to Du Maurier, also a favorite of mine. I find Du Maurier to be much darker, more emotional, and more intense.
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    I've read all of them– for a long time it was almost impossible to find them in the U.S., until I found an older but brand new paperback copy of The Burden in a shop when I was in high school.  It wasn't until I was in college that all six books were re-released in two omnibus editions, each containing three novels.
  • I think I liked The Rose and the Yew Tree best, but Giant's Bread was also good although very depressing for me.

• i have read Absent In The Spring,The Burden,A Daughter's A Daughter.But I liked Absent In The Spring most,though The Burden was also good. i would like to the others
  • the stories were good but i think all those stories i have read described the same possesiveness  from different angle but also those ups and downs in relations were realistic

• we don't have any here!!! i want to read daughter's a daughter and unfinished portrait 
  • AvidChristieFanAvidChristieFan Louisiana, United States
    I finally found the two Omnibus books and started with Absent in the Spring. It was a mixture of calm, frustration and then a sudden insight into the main character, wondering if she was going to have that insight as well. I also felt her frustration at being in a foreign place and having to wait days for a train to take her back to more familiar territory.  However, I'm sure that was normal for the time and place.
  • Giant's Bread was a nightmare. The other five are very good, and Absent in the Spring is superb.