A Daughter's A Daughter

Hi guys!
Don't know how many of you had a chance to read A Daughter's a Daughter by Agatha Christie, but for those who did, I want to open a discussion on whether or not you think Sarah and Agatha's relationship could be reflected in the novel. For example, Sarah's opposition to the man Mrs Prentice wants to make her second husband could be a parallel to Christie's own second marriage and Christie's own daughter Rosalind's possible opposition.

Comments

• I haven't read ADAD, but I think your premise is wrong at least on one count - Rosalind actually approved of Max Mallowan as a husband for her mother, and told AC so as soon as he asked to marry her (according to AC's autobiography):

"I mentioned the name of Max.

‘I think he’d be much the best,’ said Rosalind. ‘In fact I think it would be a very good thing if you did marry him.’ Then she added: ‘We might have a boat of our own, don’t you think? And he would be useful in a lot of ways. He is rather good at tennis, isn’t he? He could play with me.’ "

However, AC's sister opposed the marriage, so perhaps that is the parallel you are looking for. 
  • HerculeAndAchilleHerculeAndAchille Harrogate, England
    By her sister I presume you mean Madge Watt. Perhaps disregarding Rosalind's apparent agreement to the marriage, Mrs Hicks did not want to stage the play based on this novel because she herself believed the character was based on her. Christie may also have been exploring other mother-daughter dynamics, presumably different from her own, or musing what would have happened, had Rosalin disapproved of Max.

Thanks for the clarification, @taliavishay-arbel
  • To a dad developing old nothing is dearer than a girl. I adore my father, and I'm glad to be his little girl. My most prominent joy is investing energy with my family: my better half and a little girl, yet additionally my mom, my three sisters, Cheap Assignment Service and their families.