Which stories you guessed the murderer correctly for?

LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria

Are you trying to guess who the murderer is before you reach the revelation at the end of a novel/short story? Do you try to find also their motive by yourself?
Share with us for which Agatha Christie's books you successfully bet who the murderer is. (Please, do not share the name of the murderer, just the story name.)
I wonder which story was the easiest for most of the readers and which was the toughest one. It would be also interesting to know if someone has ever found out the murderer in "Murder On The Orient Express".

Comments

• LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria

Let me begin first. I bet correctly who the murderer is for the following stories:
    A Murder Is Announced
    Cards On The Table
    Appointment With Death
    The Clocks
    Dead Man's Folly
    And those are among about the twenty or two dozens of the books I have read. Once I read more, I hope I will update the list. :)

• I've done quite well. I run over the clues alot and maybe I use what Mrs Olvier would call female intuition !

Poirot- 

I guessed 
    Death in The Clouds- guessed killer, but not how it was done.
    Death on The Nile- ditto
    Appointment With Death
    One Two Buckle My shoe
    Taken At The flood- partly
    Hickory Dickory Dock
    Elephants Can Remember

Marple
    A Pocket full Of Rye partly
    At Bertram's hotel
    Nemesis
    Sleeping murder 

Tommy and Tuppence
    The Secret Adversary
    N or M (guessed very quickly too)

Death Comes As The End (I think most people did)
    Endless night
    They Came To Baghdad

Sometimes I like guessing the end, but I rather prefer getting a shock at the end. I didn't work out any Mr Quin stories, so I think that's why I like them so much.

• Christopher_WrenChristopher_Wren Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
    They do it with Mirrors, because it's completely obvious. That's why I disliked the book.

And Roger Ackroyd and even because of the correct clue.
  • For me:
    1. They do it with mirrors
    2. Death on the nile
    3. Elephants can remember
  • Sad_CypressSad_Cypress Kauno Apskritis, Lithuania
    Me:

1. They Do It With Mirrors
    2. Hercule Poirot's Christmas

I don't really like guessing though. The end when the truth comes out is like a delicious dessert for my brain. :)
    edited November 2013
    I don't really like guessing though. The end when the truth comes out is like a delicious dessert for my brain. :)
    The same here. I feel my hunger for knowledge (who the murderer is, what their motive was and how they did it) is satisfied at the end of each book, nevertheless if I try to guess the murderer or not.
    MissQuin said:

Sometimes I like guessing the end, but I rather prefer getting a shock at the end. I didn't work out any Mr Quin stories, so I think that's why I like them so much.

Me too. I usually read the second half of the books faster than the first, trying to understand the ending. Sometimes I have time before I reach it to think and guess, sometimes I just prefer to read it.
    That is one thing I like about Agatha Christie books - you know that there is a clear end, the truth will be revealed then and not like other authors, where you do not know what you are going for and the only thing you have is just random events.
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    Reading to me is an escape...I try not to think ahead, I immerse myself in the chapter i am reading 
  • I've read 13 books so far and the only one I've guessed is The Secret Adversary. Usually I'm quite happy to get a shock at the end and then look back in hindsight and see how the murderer did it.
    And Roger Ackroyd and even because of the correct clue.

I just finished reading "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" and I must say it is a marvellous masterpiece! Amazing novel! I bet correctly who the murderer is (and I think their motive, too, despite the obstacles which all of the events created), because I already knew that this book is extraordinary. This word helped me stick to my idea, althought, I must admit, I had difficulties finding my way through all of the events happening.
  • Actually I kind of guessed the murderer in Death on the Nile as well but I won't spoil it for anyone by going into more detail.
  • edited November 2013
    I guessed whodunnit in Death in The Nile, but not how... which is why it's so hard to guess all three: murderer, motive and method. 
  • 1. Death comes as the end
    2.Nemesis 
    3.The secret adversary 
    4.The blue train (partly)
    5.Why didn't they ask Evans? (partly)
    6. N or M?
    7.Ordeal by Innocence
    8.The pale horse
    9.The curtain

The only one I could find both the identity and the motive of the murderer was Death come as the End
    So sad, we can't  discuss  about how we found the murderer
    :(
    If someone wants to discuss about Death comes as the End send me inbox
  • cwa11acecwa11ace Maine, United States
    I know there are many who love The Crooked House, but for some reason I figured that one out about halfway through, so I don't think I really had the chance to appreciate that novel...
  • i think, after you've read your fifth agatha book, guessing the murder is become more easy, but thats not the point, read the book because i wanna know how they do it.
    even in some of poirot book, he already mention who the murder from the start.
    And in case of Crooked House in my language they change the tittle into "Buku Catatan Joshepine" or Joshepine diary, which you know???
  • i think, after you've read your fifth agatha book, guessing the murder is become more easy, but thats not the point, read the book because i wanna know how they do it.
    even in some of poirot book, he already mention who the murder from the start.
    And in case of Crooked House in my language they change the tittle into "Buku Catatan Joshepine" or Joshepine diary, which you know???
  • For me i got it right in:

Death on the nile
    They do it with Mirrors
    And Peril at end House
  • mstjmstj Tasmania, Australia
    I guessed the murderer in Dead Man's Folly, but not how it was done, and I guessed strait-away how it was done in Hercule Poirot's Christmas, but not the murderer.  Most of the time I have no idea at all!
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    None but I got close with Death In The Clouds I have luck with Non Christie books funnily enough 
  • I always think I'm on the right track....but....
    I did guess:
    The Body in the Library
    Cards on the Table
    The Mirror Crack'd

• Just finished reading Death in the Clouds and unfortunately I guessed the identity of the murderer quite early on. 

SPOILERS!
    The murderer I find quite similar to the murderer in Three Act Tragedy in that he is a central male figure and has a girlfriend who has fallen head over heels in love with him. He is also quite charismatic and it was this pattern which lead me to guess his identity! A shame though. 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I narrowed it down to 2 in Death In The Clouds and plumped for the wrong one.
  • youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina
    1. They do it with mirrors. I find it extremely easy to see who was the murderer. I could go on further than that to say that I imagined it in the very same moment it was being commited.
    2. The Pale Horse. I guessed the murderer but not the mechanics behind it.
    3. The Secret of Chimneys. The "villain" was pretty obvious to me in this one also, but only because I had read to many christies.

• MariaMaria Pichincha, Ecuador
    N or M?
    Murder is easy
    Murder on the links (kind of)
    Evil under the sun

I think only those... 
  • Just finished Blue Train  for the second time.  First time was many years ago, so I had forgotten.  I guessed the killer(s) at different times, but never put the whole sequence together.  Fun to pick up novels after years and reread!
  • Murder is Easy

Crooked House

The Sittaford Mystery

Peril at End House

Dumb Witness

Three Act Tragedy

The Secret Adversary

A Murder is Announced

Halloween Party

They Do It With Mirrors

The Mirror Cracked From Side To Side

Endless Night

Nemesis

Lord Edgware Dies

Murder is Mesopotamia

Gee that's quite a few!

• Christopher_WrenChristopher_Wren Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
    jennifer said:
    Just finished Blue Train  for the second time.  First time was many years ago, so I had forgotten.  I guessed the killer(s) at different times, but never put the whole sequence together.  Fun to pick up novels after years and reread!
    I guessed the male half right from the beginning. The character doesn't seem to have any purpose, so I guessed, that he had to be the killer. :D
  • I guess a lot of us would have a very good idea as to who the culprit(s) is right before they are announced because Christie typically eliminates a few characters from consideration because they seem to obvious or she has explicitly stated somehow that they weren't the murderer. Having said that, the thing we all love about Agatha Christie books is the twist or shock at the end which still makes it very hard to guess.
  • edited March 2014

I've read probably 25ish Christie books.

Murderers I was able to figure out/guess:

Murder on the Orient Express (there was one particular clue in the book that made the murderer in this book obvious to me, but I won't list it here so it doesn't ruin it for anybody else)

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

Peril At End House

Sad Cypress

Death on the Nile

Nemesis

There are a few more that I was able to guess, but I can't think of them offhand. I would estimate I've been able to guess the murderer in about 1/3 of the Christie books that I've read.

Murderers/murder solutions that truly shocked me:

Murder is Easy

And Then There Were None

Lord Edgware Dies (in retrospect I can't believe I didn't guess the killer in this one; I actually yelled out loud in shock when I read who the murderer was)

• youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina
    I guessed the following:
    - Pale Horse
    - Chimneys
    - They do it with mirrors
    - A pocket full of rye
  • Peril at end house. I figured out the murderer and the method very soon.  :-)