Surnames Reused Throughout

NuclearMeNuclearMe Homeworth, USA
Owing to the fact that Agatha Christie was a bona fide genius at writing mysteries, and with the extensive list of surnames available to her in the Metropolitan telephone directory, alone, why did she continually reuse surnames throughout her various stories? Although examples are too numerous to mention one is the last name of Folliott/Folliat ("Murder of Roger Ackroyd" and "Dead Man's Folly." In reusing surnames was the author trying to invoke memories of past stories in her audience?

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    It is one thing that slightly irritates me, she even named 2 Characters Bill Eversleigh,
  • Who are the two Bill Eversleigh? I only know of one, the one in Seven Dials and Chimneys, and he is the same one. There is an Mrs. Eversleigh in The red symbol but that's it that I know of. 
    There is a Short Story where the main Character has that name, I can't remember which story but obviously isn't one with Poirot, Miss Marple, The Beresfords or Parker Pyne, I shall try and find it.
  • Dr.SheppardDr.Sheppard Oxford, UK
    I don't think there is any harm in reusing a name, particularly if there is no confusion. As taliavishay-arbel states, Bill Eversleigh is known to be the same character although he appears in two different books. It happens in real life. At the badminton club I belong to there are two Robert Browns (not related) and another Robert, they are known as Bob, Two Bob and Three Bob - old English money!
    I know it sounds silly but I want better from the Books I read unless the fact they have the same surname is part of the Plot and having 2 people with the same surname is there to confuse.
  • HerculeAndAchilleHerculeAndAchille Harrogate, England
    @Dr.Sheppard, to add to your point, I do think sometimes it was intentional, such as the surname Corrigan in "The Pale Horse", but occasionally it does seem a little confusing and unintentional, like the two Amy Leatherans (one as the narrator in "Murder in Mesopotamia" and the other in "Passenger to Frankfurt").