Curtain, Poirot's Last Case - ITV (UK) Production

Another fantastic production. Having re-read the novel in the last two days, I was delighted that the programme stayed closely to the story; it may have helped that the paperback is only 188 pages. The adaptation by Kevin Elyot, captured the tension between the characters, as each possible motive for murder was revealed. My only concern is how Poirot felt he could murder someone and not be discovered - in the same way that he declares that Hastings would have been linked to a murder - the possibility of a second key to Norton’s room could easily have been discovered and traced back to Poirot. For me, Boyd Carrington’s comment stands true: “You can’t have someone taking the law into their own hands”.

A terrific end to the series, with a superb performance by David Suchet and Hugh Fraser. It’s just sad that we have to say good bye to our favourite characters, which includes Inspector Japp and Miss Lemon.

(If you forgot to record it, don’t forget that it is on iplayer for the next seven days. https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/ )

Comments

• I agree an excellent production and wonderful to see Hastings and Poirot reunited again for one last outing. Not sure about Poirot's decision to take the law into his own hands though.This seems very out of character for him but an excellent production non the less. loved the moments of humour between Poirot and Hastings. Ah we shall miss that.

Am I correct in thinking that the actor who played Roger Ackroyd made an appearance in tonight's episode?

• GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    I don't think so.  Malcolm Terris played Roger Ackroyd, and there's no mention of him on the IMDb listings.
  • my recording of Hercules has not come out, so I'll have to catch up on that. Then I'll watch Curtain, but I'll find it hard. 

:((
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I enjoyed it a lot, It is a shame there wasn't a Funeral scene at the end with Japp, Miss Lemon, Spence and Race attending but you can't have everything
  • You will love it MissQuin, it is perhaps the most faithful adaptation in the whole run.

I don't think the house they used for Styles was the same as the one in the "Mysterious Affair..." adaptation. Perfect adaptation, pretty damn perfect cast, perfect ending (in spite of the bloody continuity announcer over the end credits!) Just make sure you fast forward through those atmosphere-killing adverts.

Bring on the Blu-Ray box set!
  • Thank you Johnwaynefreak, I will get the tissues at the ready and settle down to (hopefully) enjoy the final Poirot. Oh my, what will we find to talk about here instead of the latest Poirot episode?!

I think we'll have to have Poirot episode of the week and revist those old ones.
  • I watched the programme again last night and picked up some aspects that I missed previously. As Johnwaynefreak says, bring on the Box Set.

I've had a moment to look up a point of interest in 'Murder in the Making' by John Curran; He points out that 'Poirot was not above taking law into his own hands ... throughout his career'. Six books are listed, can you name them? (without looking it up in John's book)
  • SPOILERS FOR MANY MANY POIROT BOOKS!!!  In fact if you haven't read all the books,this is not a good post to read...

I think there are times when his methods are rather unconventional, but very effective.   At the end of Card On The Table- some lies are told, but it did work.

I think Orient Express obviously and as mentioned before- Curtain, The first story where the Countess first appears The Double Clue. 

Plus he sometimes let's the murderers take a quicker route out - this happens most memorably for me, in Roger Ackroyd. Also in Death In The Nile he must have guessed what would happen. 

The Clocks- he does let someone get away with something. In Labours Of Hercules he does let Amy Carnaby get away with dog related crimes!

So what are the 6 please Dr Sheppard?

• I am glad to see that someone is reading these comments MissQuin. The answer is: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Peril at End House, Dumb Witness, Death on the Nile, Appointment with Death and The Hollow. Congratulations.

John also adds: In ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ and ‘The Chocolate’ he allowed the killers to evade (legal) justice.

• Thank you Dr Sheppard! Actually that's a thought provoking question. I'm interested in Five Little Pigs because it has such a different ending... There was quite a heated discussion on the old forum, was justice evaded completely? Or was the perpetrator punished in a different less obvious way? 

As to the response to your post, I did nearly miss it. I think it simply went further down the "recent discussions" column where I nearly overlooked it.  Plus alot of people who live countires outside the UK haven't seen Curtain yet, so they would probably avoid reading your post. I've not seen Labours Of ..yet, so I've avoided reading any reviews as I want a surprise. From the trailer I saw I get the impression they altered things. I didn't see a single pekingese!!! 

I enjoyed it a lot, It is a shame there wasn't a Funeral scene at the end with Japp, Miss Lemon, Spence and Race attending but you can't have everything
    I disagree, as there was a funeral in The Big Four,  wouldn't it have been far too repetitive? Oddly though, Mrs Oliver wasn't at Poirot's fake funeral! I'm guessing it would just be too difficult to blend characters who had never met in the actual books.

• GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    MissQuin, the screenwriters wanted Mrs. Oliver to make a cameo in that scene, but it wasn't possible for various reasons.  Please read this great interview for more details: (http://investigatingpoirot.blogspot.com/2013/10/adapting-poirot-q-with-ian-hallard.html).  There was supposed to be a wreath with a "Love, Ariadne" card, but I don't know if it was clearly filmed or not.  Since I live in the U.S., I haven't seen it yet.
  • Wow, GKC I didn't know that. I also didn't notice a wreath from Mrs Oliver in The Big Four. But that gives me an extra excuse to watch the episode again, to see if I can spot it. Also that's a very interesting blog.

• ianthepoetianthepoet Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Poirot will surely be missed. I really enjoyed the last episode. Until someone tries to replace David Suchet and do an update.
  • It's hard to think of a new Poirot but it seems inevitable. Most generations have had their own Miss Marple. I wouldn't mind them remaking the episodes I really didn't like. 

I recently saw part of the end of Taken At The flood I had forgotten how awful it was!! 

What were everyone's least favourite episodes? 

And the best episodes? My personal favourites were Peril At End house, The ABC Murders and The Affair At The Victory Ball. 

• Pat_septemberPat_september Gauteng, South Africa
    Poirot will surely be missed. I really enjoyed the last episode. Until someone tries to replace David Suchet and do an update.
    Hard to imagine someone able to replace David Suchet. Not in this decade...
  • Pat_septemberPat_september Gauteng, South Africa
    Miss Quinn, my favorites would be Peril at End House, The Mystery of The Spanish Chest and Hercule Poirot's Christmas to name just three. My least fav.: Hallowe'en Party - can't stand the thought of children being killed!
  •  Pat_September, I feel like The Wicked Witch now, because I  like the method of murder in Halloween Party!!  It may put people off apple dunking though. Actually AC had this knack of turning innocent amusements into something very sinister. Like all those nursery rhymes- Pocket full Of Rye among many other. 

Those are all good episodes. Although there's a scene in the Spanish chest- which I can't bear to watch!  It involves a sharp point object and..  you know the rest!