Thoughts on Parker Pyne

I've heard quite a bit about Mrs Oliver and even Harley Quin and Mr Satterthwaite on this site. For those of you who have read some of Parker Pyne's short stories, how did you find them?

Comments

• I enjoyed them, sometimes I could easily work out what would happen next. 

I don't ever see that many comments about Parker Pyne, so I wondered if people haven't read them. The stories are of interest to Poirot fans when Miss Lemon and Mrs Oliver appear. I did enjoy the crime related stories more than the ones that dealt with personal relationships.  My favourites were The Pearl Of Price and Death On The Nile (not to be confused with the Poirot story).

I wonder what a full length Parker Pyne book would have been like? His character isn't so easy to define. There's a rather detached element to his character in some stories, mainly the earlier ones. The Case Of The Middle Aged Wife, his attitude to Claude. Also in the end of case of the Discontented Husband. We never really find much out about Mr Pyne, so it could have been interesting.

I saw the adaptation of The Agatha Christie Hour, The Case Of The Middle Aged Wife.  I enjoyed it, it's quite heart warming. Although the husband is infuriating!  What wife wants to be addressed "old girl?!" I wanted a different ending somehow.

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    A Full length Parker Pyne would be very weak and lacking in substance
  • I disagree, with the statement Parker Pyne full length would be weak. You might think it would be weak. Otherwise you would predicting an entire plot, characters, method and writing style, without it having been written!

To Lachy-have you read the Parker Pyne stories yet? 
  • No I haven't I was just curious to see what people thought of them because I haven't heard much about Parker Pyne. I will say though, that I still plan on reading every Agatha Christie book even if they're not so great so this won't deter me.
  • I think that some of the Parker Pyne stories are very enjoyable.  Some read like Poirot stories.
  • I personally love the Parker Pyne stories and I wish Dame Agatha had written more of them. I think they made for a very interesting detour from her usual whodunits. These stories were full of explorations into human nature, a topic which -I believe- was one of Christie's favorites. 

I agree with Miss Quin in the sense that some of the Parker Pyne stories are very good, In fact most are, I particularly like The Discontented Soldier and the one which when Televised had Gwen Taylor and Peter Jones but I just can't see the Character be able to keep the reader wanting to read a whole Novel withhim, if it was an Episodic Novel like The Big Four or The Thirteen Problems where it is possible that each Chapter could be a short story but I don't think the Character has the ability to be captivating long-term.

Enjoy The short stories, In the main I did.

• I just read some of the stories, and really enjoyed The Discontented Soldier, Death on the Nile, and one or two others.
    I think Poirot and Parker Pyne are 2 sides of the same coin.
  • I didn't really like Parker Pyne, but I did like some of the stories - particularily The Case of the Rich Woman and The House in Shiraz. Somehow, in these two stories, the main characters really came alive to me and I liked them.
  • Virat kohli biographyCheck our some latest and trendy famous celeb ideas and their bio from our site.
  • Lustig weihnachtsgedichte kurz 2018. Lustig weihnachtsgedichte kurz 2018-Weihnachten ist das größte Festival Dies ist ein jährliches Fest zur Erinnerung an