MARCH 2019 BOOK OF THE MONTH: THE MIRROR CRACK'D FROM SIDE TO SIDE

GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
March's "Book of the Month" is The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side.  What happens when Hollywood comes to St. Mary Mead?  When a glamorous movie star buys Gossington Hall (the Bantrys' old estate featured in The Body in the Library), the residents of the British village think that life is going to get a lot more exciting.  They're certainly right, as a guest is poisoned at a big party.  But who was the real target, and what's the motive?  As the bodies pile up, it's up to Miss Marple to figure out the truth.

Comments

• I liked the book. I thought the portrayal of Marina was true to life - the super sensitivity, the raw places in her mind, where if anyone mentions or comes near to them she stiffens - that reminds me of a long-time friend of mine. 

I thought it interesting that the Hollywood version (with Elizabeth Taylor and Rock Hudson) Slightly changed the ending so as to leave "Jason" Played by Hudson spotless - how they were over-careful of their stars' reputation! I prefered the Joan Hickson version. Other opinions of the movies?
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

I like the book also, I thought Heather Badcock was very real, I have known someone like her, people like her have no idea what damage there words and actions can do, I also hated Miss Knight, I love the fact it is set in St Mary Mead and I loved Dolly Bantry's involvement in the Mystery, I have enjoyed all the Adaptations of the Book, but it isn't one of my Top 6 Miss Marple Books and not one of my Top 21 Fvourite Agatha Christie Books, I also like Craddock, I liked the bit at the beginning of the Film where we saw the Villagers seeing a Film, It is a shame the 'Film' wasn't made into a Miss Marple by ITV, that would have been much better than putting Miss Marple in the stories ITV Catapulted her in.