Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

Passenger To Frankfurt

Endless Night,

Death Comes At The End,

Murder In Mesopotamia,

The Big Four,

They Do It With Mirrors

I don't consider The Big Four as a Proper Novel but an Episodic \Novel so am willing to replace it with Three-Act Tragedy, also if Three-Act Tragedy replaces The Big Four the last 3 on my list are in reverse order.

• Of the 15 books that I've read the one that I enjoyed the least, and by quite a long way, was Towards Zero. I found the plot to be quite boring and the solution wasn't as ingenious as Christie's other books.
    I love The Book, I particularly like the Scotsman and Battle who were sadly left out of the adaptation which definitely didn't do it justice, I also loved the fact that thinking about Poirot helped Battle solve the case.
  • LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria
    Please, do not throw sticks and stones at me, but I expected more from "And Then There Were None". I am not saying the I did not like the book at all. There were some great moments in it, it also introduced a different aspect of a criminal story plot. But I hoped the ending was a bit different. I wanted a personal motive between the murder and someone else to be present.
    I think the ones that are Universally famous are bound to be a let down because we are going to have expectations that the books can't compete with partly due to the hype surrounding them, I didn't personally wish for a personal motive but I can see where you are coming from, I was left feeling unsatisfied with And Then There Were None but was felt I had got more than I expected withDeath On The Nil
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Please, do not throw sticks and stones at me, but I expected more from "And Then There Were None". I am not saying the I did not like the book at all. There were some great moments in it, it also introduced a different aspect of a criminal story plot. But I hoped the ending was a bit different. I wanted a personal motive between the murder and someone else to be present.
    I love And Then There were None, but I know more than one person that as you felt a little disappointed. Sometimes you expect too much from a book, especially a famous one. Sometimes it's not your favorite kind of plot.
    Here it's a place to express your opinion freely even (or especially) when you disagree. Don't be afraid.
    :-bd
  • I love Then There Were None because I didn't think any author would have such audacity. I think that the books I dislike are ones that feel two much like an automatic process. "least likely person with alibi does it" 

A Pocket Full Of Rye  the nursery rhyme theme felt a little tired after I had read Five Little Pigs, One Two Buckle my Shoe, Hickory Dickory Dock, Four and Twenty Blackbirds.. need I go on?

My least favourites:

1.) Passenger To Frankfurt- because of plot weakness

2.) Postern Of Fate- I know AC was elderly, but I'm basing it on how much I liked and I didn't enjoy it.

3.) Pocket Full Of Rye-because of the nursery rhyme and also the characters being too unlikable

4.) The Big Four- it doesn't work as a Poirot book.

5.) The Sittaford mystery- great start and I found the rest was awful.

edited December 2013
    It's really hard to say that you didn't like any books of your favorite author, but I didn't like Passenger to Frankfurt. It's a weak plot. It's seems that it was written only to fulfill an obligation. Nothing makes sense.
    The other one is Postern of Fate. It's impossible to guess who the murderer is.
    I think these are my less favorite.
    There are others (Elephans can remember, The Clocks), but they are not like these one. I didn't like one thing or two, but not the whole story. And I will read them again (I don't intend to read Passenger to Frankfurt neither Postern of Fate ever again).
    I can't agree about The Sittaford Mystery, I love everything about it, After the 2nd time I was tempted to start again 
  • edited December 2013
    Tudes- I would never read Postern Of Fate or Passenger To Frankfurt again either.  I Couldn't force myself to read Sittaford again. But the Big Four has some good moments SPOILERS!!! - the electrified chess board! Pocket full Of Rye has some good parts too, which is a shame. I think I'd have enjoyed it if it wasn't for the nursery rhyme. 

• The two I would pick out as not having enjoyed nearly as much as others are Postern of Fate and Third Girl. Others might be contenders (I think it tends to be the later ones). However, I read  them a long time ago, and I haven't reread them (because I didn't enjoy them so much), whereas others I have read multiple times. Perhaps I would feel differently about them now?

• I changed my mind about Cat among The pigeons after re-reading it. There are some books I really enjoyed more after the second time. 
  • roamingrover86roamingrover86 United Kingdom
    Miss Quin, do ya think I need to re-read Cat Among The Pigeons. As ya know my opinion about the book too well. It could be a pain though. What do ya suggest?
  • I find it helps to re-read books some time after you've first read them. If you've read it for the first time recently, you opinion would probably be the same. As I've now nearly finished all the crime books AC has written, I find myself re-reading them. If there's's AC books you haven't read, perhaps read those instead? If you read them all, you can go back to Cat Among The Pigeons.

I re-read part of Pocket Full Of Rye years later and it didn't alter my feelings towards it. 

I'm not entirely sure why I liked Cat Among The Pigeons the second time. Maybe because I'd just read Cards On the Table, which is one of the very best.

On the other hand I revisited Endless Night and my opinion of the book has since altered completely. I had in that time read some of William Blake's poetry. I had a little jolt as a discovered the quotation Agatha Christie had used for her book. 

here's me, pretending to sound wise!!

:D
    Yes, perhaps that is not such a bad idea. Re-reading all those books I felt were weak after finishing all the crime novels. As, the idea of re-reading Cat Among The Pigeons now really scares me!
    I preferred The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and Lord Edgware Dies 2nd time around and was able to finish The Sittaford |Mystery, Third Girl and The Seven Dials Mystery which I couldn't the first time, Sittaford Mystery and Seven Dials are now among my favourites 
  •  Soumya Roychowdhury- I sometimes find it fun to watch an adaptation, then re-visit the books to see what they changed..  or if an adapt is really bad, it's a comfort to know you still have the book. I liked Taken At The Flood, but not the end. The end is so atrocious in the adapt, that I revisited the book and found the end so much better in comparison!!

Usually, when I re-read the books, I enjoy much more. On the other hand, it has already happened that I loved the book  the first time I read, but when I re-read I didn't enjoy so much.
    Well, I have never tried re-reading a book. Adaption , Yes! It excites you to match all that you have read with what is being put out for the audience without the knowledge of the actual book. Re-reading might be energy sapping as you already know the ending & there is nothing more to find out. However I do agree reading a book after a really long time particularly one that you didn't enjoy the first time & perhaps has escaped er memory might just be worth it!
  • LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria
    edited December 2013
    Well, I have never tried re-reading a book. Adaption , Yes! It excites you to match all that you have read with what is being put out for the audience without the knowledge of the actual book. Re-reading might be energy sapping as you already know the ending & there is nothing more to find out. However I do agree reading a book after a really long time particularly one that you didn't enjoy the first time & perhaps has escaped er memory might just be worth it!

I also do not re-read books. I might do it after some long time, but before that - I would like to read all of the Christie's novels. :)
    However, I am planning to re-read two books by another author. This would be my first go. But the things is they are books I liked very much. I do not see myself reading again something I did not like/enjoy the first time...
    And I am also planning to watch the TV episodes for those novels of Christie's which I have already read. I watched some clips and I really feel like doing it now, although I did not like the movie idea based on a book before.
  • svcodemansvcodeman Pennsylvania, United States
    My least favorite(s) so far are: Third Girl, A Carribean Mystery, Destination Unknown
    I have preferred some Agatha Christie books 2nd time around namely Lord Edgware Dies, The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd, Murder is Easy and They Do It with Mirrors although I can't say the last 2 are among my Favourites and the first 2 are books I wouldn't put on my Poirot Top10, every time |I get to the end of the Canon I start again leaving out more in the end I will just have the ones I like.
  • Passenger To Frankfurt

Big Four

Poster of Fate

Third Girl

Cat among The Pigeons

I loved Cat Among The Pigeons but even though the Title has been explained to me until people were Blue In The Face, I still don't think It is a Good Title and still don't understand it.
  • Sad_CypressSad_Cypress Kauno Apskritis, Lithuania
    I haven't read any of the books I wouldn't like... I was going to read "Passenger To Frankfurt" and "Poster Of Faith" but all the negative comments made me take a huge step back from these books. :D

Well maybe "The Big Four". Although I read it in a day - it was captivating. But still.
  • I loved Cat Among The Pigeons but even though the Title has been explained to me until people were Blue In The Face, I still don't think It is a Good Title and still don't understand it.
    The title Cat among pigeons: The pigeons are the innocent girls and the cat is the 'bad guy' I think.
  • I loved Cat Among The Pigeons but even though the Title has been explained to me until people were Blue In The Face, I still don't think It is a Good Title and still don't understand it.
    The title Cat among pigeons: The pigeons are the innocent girls and the cat is the 'bad guy' I think.

I get that it just seems wrong to me

• actually there's two novels i didn't read, but i don't think i want which are 
    1- the big four
    2- they came to Baghdad
    so tell me am i taking the right discussion?   
  • decision** i meant   ... sorry for the mistake