Trying to find a specific collection...

Hey! 

I lent one of my books to a friend, and never saw it again. And now I can't even find the same book. I was hoping I could get help and maybe figure out what exactly it was that I lent...

It was a book with multiple novels in it, the only one I remember for certain was The ABC Murders. It was a padded hardcover book, red, with gold detailing and page edging. I have the impression it had three novels total in it. 

Can anyone find this book???

Comments

• Try googling Agatha Christie Crime Collection, the publishers are Hamlyn Publishing Group and see what comes up. That could be the sort of collection you are looking for.
  • Heron (now defunct?) published a red leatherette collection in the 70s - try "ABC Murders / Why Didn't They Ask Evans" in google - the ones I've seen, from memory, have the two books in one volume, but you have to turn the book upside down and start at the other end for the second - I think.

The Hamlyn collection had navy bindings under the dustjackets.  Both series used the most random pairings / three-ups imaginable!
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I have a Book with the same lettering with 3 Novels inside so I think you are right about that.
  • TopperTopper Cheshire, England
    Can anyone help ... !!... just re-discovered in the loft, due to a clear out, some 19 Books in excellent condition, all with dust jackets, in the Hamlyn 1969 edition, which we bought prior to moving house some 12 years ago - we must have put them in a box when we moved, forgot all about them, and put them straight into the loft here !!!

We really don't have any use for them now, or the room either to put them "on display".

Can anyone advise if they have a value, how we should dispose of them ... or just take to the tip ??

Topper
    ebay, Amozan.Freecycle, Auction? by the way what are the Titles
  • Do you have the volume that contains, "And Then There were None" (Probably under it's former name)? I think that volume includes "Dumb Witness and "Mysterious Affair at Styles".  I lent my copy to a friend 30 years ago and she lost it while moving house.

I bought paperback versions of those books, but would love to complete the set again.

I would be interested in buying it.

Thanks
    Thanks for that -
    Tommy - those tips are pretty much what I had thought..... Was just hoping that there might be more specific AC areas. Am preparing list with photos ... Can I post here as attachments ?

Anne -Yes, I do have that one ( original title was Ten Little N.....s ,    ... Must be PC nowadays). Ideally wanted to sell the complete collection as one but if not possible, I might sell individually - what sort of figure do you have in mind.

Best wishes ...... Topper.
  • Actually, I have no idea how much to offer.

As I am in Australia we would need a currency exchange, so it may be too difficult to consider.

If you want to try and sell the collection, go ahead. I believe the complete set was 24 volumes.

Thanks for that ... will keep you posted.

Topper
  • I have just read an interesting article in today's The Times (London) by Ben Macintyre in which he quotes Sherlock Holmes as having said: "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." The article also says that Holmes represents 'Victorian rational certainty." Herule Poirot is mentioned in the article as belonging to the tradition of belief in essential human values, and using 'the little grey cells'. I feel, after reading this article, that Poirot is like Holmes, basing his methods on rational certainty. I'm sure others have thought the same.  Elimination is one of Poirot's key methods. What I admire so much about Agatha Christie is that I think she could deal with the rules of logic, whilst at the same time possessing imagination, as well as perception, and keen observation, powers of communicating an idea, and creativity to use all those skills to write fiction. 
    Holmes is mentioned in a few Poirot Books the names of which escape me, I think he is also mentioned in Partners in Crime and definitely Arthur Conan Doyle is mentioned in The Sittaford Mystery. 
  • Yes, Christie probably started out paying homage to Holmes, and then grew to realise that she had found her own rich vein of subject matter in the middle class circles which she knew so well.