First Poirot?

For Christmas, I'd like to buy a friend a Poirot novel. She has seen most of the adaptations, but admitted to having never read one. I have my own favourites, of course, but am trying to think of which would be best for her.

Of course, I could just start at the very beginning, but wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Comments

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Besides The Mysterious Affair of Styles, of course, I think you could ask your friend her favorite adaptation and give her the corresponding book or you could buy your favorite one or a famous one as Murder on Orient Express, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, The ABC Murders, Cards on the Table (it's not so famous, but I think it's one of the best as Evil under the sun) and Death on the Nile (an excellent and sharp Poirot's book, very pleasant to read).
    Any way, I hope your friend loves the gift and has enjoyable moments reading it.
  • roamingrover86roamingrover86 United Kingdom
    If its for Christmas, why not Hercule Poirot's Christmas ? Bloody good book that. 
  • tudes said:
    Besides The Mysterious Affair of Styles, of course, I think you could ask your friend her favorite adaptation and give her the corresponding book or you could buy your favorite one or a famous one as Murder on Orient Express, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, The ABC Murders, Cards on the Table (it's not so famous, but I think it's one of the best as Evil under the sun) and Death on the Nile (an excellent and sharp Poirot's book, very pleasant to read).
    Any way, I hope your friend loves the gift and has enjoyable moments reading it.

Funnily enough, Cards on the Table was the first one I can remember reading and I love it too. The trouble is there are just so many to choose from. Asking her favourite adaptation is a good call.

• If its for Christmas, why not Hercule Poirot's Christmas ? Bloody good book that. 
    That too is a good idea. Can't believe I didn't even think of it.
  • Miss Sainsbury Seale
    Can I add my own selection: I started my passion after reading 'One Two Buckle My Shoe', but I would also endorse 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd', which is where my character came from. Both are ones you don't want to put down.
  • Personally, I think The Mysterious Affair at Styles is a great place to start, not only because it's the first book Agatha Christie wrote but also because it's one of her best. 
  • HerculeJCHerculeJC California, United States
    I was fortunate to find a 3-Volume Story Set, "Poirot in the Orient".
    Three Books in one cover: "Murder in Mesopotamia", "Death on the Nile", and "Appointment With Death".
    I enjoyed reading all three of them ("Mesopotamia" and "Appointment" for the first time).
    All three of those titles I recommend.
  • cwa11acecwa11ace Maine, United States
    My first Poirot was Murder of Roger Ackroyd, which ended up being my favorite - personally it's what got me interested in continuing to read AC!
  • Some really great suggestions here, so thanks to you all. I hope she enjoys whichever I decide, and then I can buy her some more.
  • I read Roger Ackroyd first too. It still remains one of my favourite Poirot stories. 

If someone starts reading about Agatha Christie, Roger Ackroyd solution is often discussed. I watched a programe called A Very British Murder, the whole solution was revealed! So it's probably one of the best one's to read early on.