After The Funeral

Those who have finished reading the book and want to discuss the various aspects of the book can join in.
IMHO the book is average but the plot is weak & I was left dissapointed with the end .
Even the explanations were incomplete and fictional.
Would like to know er opinions on the book.

Comments

• edited December 2013
    I enjoyed the book better when I read for the second time. In fact, the first time I read I was disappointed. I thought not only the murderer, but the motive could be different. And it seems implausible the way it as committed.
  • roamingrover86roamingrover86 United Kingdom
    Even the adaption was weak. True, the motive for the murder was debatable.
    SPOILERS!!! 
     I didn't buy into the idea of Miss Gilchrist acting as Cora & yet went completely unnoticed.

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Even the adaption was weak. True, the motive for the murder was debatable.
    SPOILERS!!! 
     I didn't buy into the idea of Miss Gilchrist acting as Cora & yet went completely unnoticed.

I agree with you. The adaptation is not a good one. There a lot of things going on and it brings confusion.It seems that everyone has a dirty secret to hide. Too much.
    SPOILERS: Maybe if the murderer was one of the family members could be better, although predictable. And I can't believe either that nobody didn't notice that Cora and Miss Gilchrist were the same.
  • I didn't mid After the Funeral, certainly not one of Christie's best but not one of her worst either. 

SPOILERS - I was surprised when I found out that Miss Gilchrist was the murderer, so from that point of view it was good, even if the explanation was somewhat poor. 
  • roamingrover86roamingrover86 United Kingdom
    I agree with shock bit, it definitely has a shock ending albeit a weak explanation. Perhaps because of the shock factor I wouldn't classify it as a poor book but an average one. Definitely worth reading ONCE.
  • This is one of my favourites. In a way, it's the last of the Poirot novels featuring an old house, with a family of suspects. 

spoilers !! I found the murderer a shock. I didn't suspect them. i actually think that some people can get a fixation on one thing. After all, murders can be committed for money or for a desire for person. I love the fact that quaint old English teashops can be mingled with brutal axe murders! It's something Agatha Christie excelled in. Making something harmless like a village, a nursery rhyme into something dark and destructive.

I liked the adaption. They did add some things. It was a little slow, but out of the episodes made in the last 10 years, it was one of the better ones.