Cards On The Table

ChristeryChristery Rhode Island, United States
What are people's opinion of this book? Although it's been a while since I've read it, I remember liking the fact that it had like 3 different endings - every time that it seemed that the murderer had been revealed and you said " Oh yes, I see it now!" Christie then pulled the rug out from under you and someone else was revealed to be the murderer! it was pretty cool how she did that.

Comments

• I feel it's one of the best Poirot stories. I get very cross when people say that AC didn't write characters that are deep and meaningful. I disagree and add she writes brilliant dialogue. 

SPOILERS!!  The fact there's only 4 suspects means that she did explore the characters more. It's the first time Mrs Oliver appears with Poirot and they gel well together. I like the fact one thing goes unanswered. Why did Mrs Lorrimer murder her husband? I like the fact that as in real life, nothing is all neatly wrapped up. 

The adaptation caused some controversy when it was shown. I can see why on some points, because Anne was no longer a killer.  
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    Easily a top 10 Christie novel for me. The suspects are interesting, and as said before Christie keeps you guessing until the end.
  • Prior to purchasing this book, I had read several reviews proclaiming it one of the best Hercule Poirot novels, so I went in with very high expectations. 

My lack of knowledge of the Bridge card game may have been a factor, but this is one story that didn't stick with me for whatever reason. A good read but not one of my personal favorites. 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

I love this book it is definitely in my top 3 of Poirot books and top 10 of Agatha Christie books, I am not keen on some things left unanswered ITV did a HORRIBLE Adaptation I was so disappointed, It wasn't just that Anne was no longer a Killer, Race and Battle were replaced which was bad enough but The Motives were changed, Homosexuality was referred to in Agatha Christie's work but not in Cards On The Table, if A subject isn't tackled in a book it shouldn't be in the Adaptation IMHO, I would Love to buy the set one day on DVD but will never watch this one again 

• Having read the book I become engrossed in the novel, enjoying all of it....apart from the end. To work out who the murderer(s) is you need to have decent knowledge of bridge. I, having no knowledge of the game, was disappointed in it as the story was a promising one. There was not even a simply paragraph explaining how to play the game, although I can understand that it was the 30s and many people of that time went to clubs and played cards every night, so I can understand that it was probably common knowledge. But I still wished I had some prior knowledge before beginning the books that you would need knowledge of how to play bridge.
    I would have liked there to be the rules of how to play Bridge in  the book, I am sad to say this shows that perhaps Agatha Christie thought everyone was like her and knew the Game which people of her Class and era would know, If Publishers can change Titles surely they should think to stick in a brief explaination of Bridge, what does anyone else think, personally speaking npot knowing how to play has never mattered to me when reading the book, the whole Construction and execution of the book has made me read it 6 times.
  • AriadneAriadne Texas, United States
    I think it would be neat to have an explanation of bridge in the book. It did help in solving the murder, didn't it? I can't remember exactly, but I think there was a clue, or more than one, that if you had known the rules of Bridge, you may have been able to figure out some things. Me, I hardly ever am able to figure out the clues, but it's fun trying! :)
  • mike1410mike1410 Franklin, New Zealand
    I don't think that having any knowledge of how to play Bridge is at all important to the enjoyment of the book, and I don't think Bridge players have an advantage over non-Bridge players in solving the crime. It could have been Snap! or Happy Families they were playing, the game itself is of no importance other than as a reason to get all the characters together. In a modern adaptation I think you could use something like 'Trivial Pursuit' to the same effect.

Poirot uses the score cards and asks questions of people about their style of play simply as a way of eliciting information with regards to the general character/mindset/psychology/demeanor of the person in question, helping him determine if he feels the crime was in their nature or not. We learn that Dr Roberts is outgoing and confident, a risk taker. Ann Meredith lacks confidence, but her scoring manner shows she has had to practice economy in life. Major Despard appears to be upstanding and honourable, and Mrs Lorrimer is a master of the game with a good memory for detail. All useful information.

I like the book very much (I like Ariadne Oliver) but the ITV/Suchet adaptation, where they rewrote the ending for their own purposes, is pretty appalling and a low point in an otherwise excellent series of films.

I am not a Bridge Player but I think it has to be Bridge that is Played because of the Symetry, and in Bridge the Four players have to Play North, East, South and West and that wouldn't work with other games, also in order for the Plot to work doesn't someone have to be away from the Table? and so no other game would work either because isn't the person who is 'Dummy' away from the Table which gives the Murderer the Perfect opportunity to Kill The Victim so no other Game would do as I see it, Snap or Rummy or Whist or Poker can have more than 4 Players unless it is to Player Bridge has to have 4 players and no more. I was really looking forward to seeing who was being Cast as Battle, That and the Lascivious Changes ruined it for me, I love most of the Series before and after it though and the episodes I don't like I like much more Than Cards On The Table

If The other books which mention Bridge Games were re-Written, I could see Scrabble being used instead, That would work, Sets have 4 Tile Holders don't they but wouldn't be any good for Cards On The Table because no-one HAS to be away

• S_SigersonS_Sigerson United States
    A game like Trivial Pursuit wouldn't work because there is no strategy involved. It comes down to the luck of the dice. Whereas, in Bridge it comes down to how the cards are played. To play successful you need to focus on what's been played. You don't need to do this with Trivial Pursuit and other games of this type. 

And knowledge of Bridge would be extremely helpful since at the beginning of the book there is a facsimile of the score cards. In the 3rd rubber 1500 will instantly pop out out you if you are a Bridge player. Either Dr. Roberts or Mrs. Lorimer bid a Grand Slam making the rubber extremely challenging and difficult to make. As Mrs. Lorimer said to Poirot had the other team lead a heart they would have went down by three trick. One other thing the reader eventually learns is Dr. Roberts is the one who bid the Grand Slam, but in Mrs. Lorimer's (his partner) suit and not his own. This is significant and one can argue not the best move since he would not be the one playing the hand.This left him as dummy giving him the opportunity to to murder Shaitana while the other players were concentrating on a most challenging rubber. The one said trying to make their bid and the other side trying to stop them. 

In the book Dr. Roberts is a confirmed bachelor. Now why would a successful middle aged doctor never marry? Perhaps he is not the marrying kind. Did Christie ever specify whether Dr. Roberts was heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual? No. Christie also never specified why Dr. Roberts murdered Mr. and Mrs. Craddock. Just made a vague comment about "some problem with a woman". A rumor Dr. Roberts would have gone along with especially if he was homosexual. Perhaps Mr. Craddock and Dr. Roberts were having a sexual relationship and Craddock had fallen in love with Dr. Roberts and Craddock wanted to leave his wife. He even went as far as telling his wife about the affair leaving Dr. Roberts no alternative but to get rid of both of them.  Dr. Roberts would've been in precarious predicament since homosexual relationships were illegal at the time. At the very least he would have been struck off the medical register. Perhaps even face prosecution and sent to prison. By not elaborating on the details of Dr. Robert's past Christie left it wide open for interpretation when adapting the story  for television. So you see Nick Dear, the screenwriter, didn't actually change anything. All he did was to expand (in a logical manner I might add) on the information in the book like all screenwriters do when adapting a story for television or film. Of course, you can't really use the same argument for the change in the most recent version of The Body In Library, however, one doesn't need to do this since there is precedent for such a change. Christie herself changed the identity of the murderer in one of heir novels when she adapted for the stage. It seems two of the most maligned and bashed television of adaptations of Christie's work appear to be are Body in the Library (the most recent version) and Cards on the Table. Why is this? Especially considering that throughout the entire series there have numerous changes. Some big, some small. The biggest changes were the addition of Japp, Hastings and Miss. Lemon into stories that they were never in the books or short stories. There can be littler doubt this addition of characters drastically altered the stories. So what is truly appalling is homophobia and paranoia. One can infer from Mike's comment "their own purposes" that the screenwriters and producers are some private agenda. Maybe (heaven forbid) they even had a gay agenda. And through these adaptations they want to turn everyone in the world gay. If this idea wasn't so asinine it might actually be funny. 

In Poirot and me, David Suchet said, "Cards on the Table is one of Dame Agatha's most original crimes, which our script reflected, with a denouement that is beautifully devised..." Changing the game from Bridge to Trivial Pursuit would've ruined the story. And one thing David Suchet has shown us over the years is his commitment to the character. In which case, I seriously doubt he would have said us, meaning himself, or even mentioned the adaptation at all, had he not been particularly proud of the production. 
    edited August 2014
    Well, S_Sigerson, speaking as a non-Bridge playing gay man I am going to jump right in here and respond

"A game like Trivial Pursuit wouldn't work because there is no strategy involved. It comes down to the luck of the dice. Whereas, in Bridge it comes down to how the cards are played. To play successful you need to focus on what's been played."

This may be true of how to play bridge, but we are concerned here with creating a suitable opportunity for the murderer to leave the table and murder Mr Shaitana. As such, any reasonably lively game would provide the opportunity, the risk of being seen committing the crime is no greater because it's not bridge. We know that the murder weapon would have  "gone in like butter" so only a few seconds were needed, and in any game (just as with bridge), people leave the table. As Major Despard says, " I think every one of us, at one time or another, moved from the bridge table -  either to get drinks or to put wood on the fire"  Note that he does not say we were all dummy at some time and so all left the table. Opportunities to leave the game table unnoticed will arise in all games. At the time the book was written, bridge was a very popular game and one which I am sure AC herself enjoyed playing. She liked to include in her books things that she knew about (houses, literary quotations, places etc, ) so I'm sure it was natural to her to use that game. My point was, that in a modern adaptation the game played could just as easily be something more contemporary, such as Trivial Pursuit.

Your second paragraph, about the technicalities of the game of bridge and beginning " And knowledge of Bridge would be extremely helpful...." makes as little sense to me as a non bridge player as it did when AC wrote those words as part of Poirot's explanation of the crime in the final chapter of the book. Indeed, most of the technical descriptions of the game used throughout the book make no sense to me, but that has not stopped my enjoyment of the book, nor my understanding and acceptance of how the murderer managed to kill Mr Shaitana with three other people in the room, but nor has it given me a desire to learn how to play bridge!. Even so, 'Cards On The Table' remains one of my favourite Poirot stories.

Agatha Christie was neither shy nor particularly ambiguous about about writing gay or queer characters in her books. There are Miss Hinchcliffe & Miss Murgatroyd in 'A Murder is Announced', Mr Pye in 'The Moving Finger', Mr Ellsworthy in 'Murder is Easy', the fellow writer who her nephew Raymond West arranges to have house sit for her whilst she is away in 'A Caribbean Mystery' .....and probably several others I cannot currently recall. AC certainly does not leave things in her stories "wide open for interpretation" as you say. She is clear and precise in her writing. This is why when you get to the end of one of her books and discover who the murderer is, you can go back and actually find the specific clues and references that would have guided you to them at the time if you had only realised. There is no suggestion whatsoever in the book that Dr Roberts is gay or is having a relationship with a patient's husband. Dr Shepperd in ' The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' is a confirmed bachelor who lives with his sister - are we to assume that he is gay? Miss Marple's own regular doctor in St Mary Mead never makes any reference to a wife, what about him? Should we assume that every doctor in an AC book is gay, in some kind of motif?. If AC meant that Dr Roberts was gay, she would have made that clear to the reader since it would have raised whole new possibilities and perspectives on the crime. She is however, mistress of the art of subtlety in her stories and does not go around smacking the reader over the head with a piece of two by four to get her points and clues across like so many other (usually American) crime writers of the day and modern television scriptwriters seem to do.

Therefore, when you say that " Nick Dear, the screenwriter, didn't actually change anything. All he did was to expand (in a logical manner I might add) on the information in the book" I have to strongly disagree. He did not expand, he re-wrote. Further, you comment that " In Poirot and me, David Suchet said, "Cards on the Table is one of Dame Agatha's most original crimes, which our script reflected"  I think the  important point to note here is the use by Suchet of the word our!  

Lastly, I come to your comment which I as a gay man find particularly offensive, namely "So what is truly appalling is homophobia and paranoia. One can infer from Mike's comment "their own purposes" that the screenwriters and producers are some private agenda. Maybe (heaven forbid) they even had a gay agenda. And through these adaptations they want to turn everyone in the world gay. If this idea wasn't so asinine it might actually be funny."

I really don't know where to start with this one. Are you saying that I (a gay man) am being both homophobic and paranoid? Are you suggesting that I thought the production company had some plan to make Agatha more queer friendly? Or are you saying that by making the murderer a gay man in the film, they were adding to the school of thought (that AC supposedly meant in the book but would not say outright) that somehow all gay men are inherently bad people?. Following Agatha's example of straightforwardness, and coming from Yorkshire where we call a spade a spade, I think that no one should ever need to infer anything from what I write. My comment regarding their own purposes refers to the fact that I believe television productions today seem to always feel the need to glamourise or sex things up when they are adapting stories from a previous era, and cannot let good stories stand for themselves. If AC managed to become the Queen of Crime and the world's best selling author by her own efforts, she does not need any help from some modern day television scriptwriters looking to make a name for themselves. Kevin Elyot, the out gay actor and writer who just recently died, scripted several of the Poirot and Miss Marple adaptations for ITV, including Curtain. Whilst they may not all have been perfect adaptations of the books, he  certainly did not feel the need to introduce random elements of homosexuality into the stories where it did not exist. Some people may think that as a gay man I should be delighted at the way this adaptation twists the ending of the book. Far from it, I stand by my original statement that this was, for me, the low point of an otherwise high quality series of films. Changing the ending is what ruined the story.

I apologise for the long post, but a reply needed to be made.

I think you are wrong in a couple of points, Because of the time when Agatha Christie was writing she was obviously shy and ambiguous about Writing Gay Characters and this is obvious to me as I have had it pointed out to me that Miss Hinchcliffe, Miss Murgatroyd and Mr Pye were Gay and I am far from being the only one who didn't realise this, I think she did this because she didn't want to offend her more Traditional Readers who don't think this way and don't think it matters which it doesn't, I don't make a mental note who writes which Episodes as to me with The Series it is who is in front of the Camera and don't when it comes to Poirot and Marple Care who the Writers or Directors are but It has seemed to me that Cards On The Table and A Murder Is Announced were written to please The Gay Community and The Actual Book in relation to Cards On The Table seemed to be unimportant because with This Adaptation at Least it seemed to me ITV did have a "Gay Agenda" as you put it and I don't think I am the only one who felt that, If any broadcaster is going to buy the rights to a book they should do it the way the Original Writer wrote it which ITV chose to ignore to pander to a section of the Community who they could cater for with a Drama that isn't based on a Book which doesn't have Gay people in it and if they are going to put Gay Characters in an Adaptation of a book which doesn't have gay people at least they should do it sensitively like in Five Little Pigs    

@ Tommy

I really don't see how anyone could possibly not get from reading 'A Murder is Announced' the fact that the relationship between Miss Hinchcliffe and Miss Murgatroyd is that of two women who are lesbian partners, as opposed to the relationship between Miss Blacklok and Dora Bunner which is quite clearly that of friends/companions. Especially in AC's descriptions of Miss Hinchcliffe with her "corduroy slacks and battledress tunic", her "formidable grip" when shaking hands and the way Julia Simmons describes her as taking up  "a manly stance" by the fireplace. To me that's neither shy nor ambiguous writing on Agatha's part. By 1950, when this book was written, many of her readers were no longer wide eyed innocents in matters of a sexual nature. WW2 changed many, many aspects of English country life.     

Mike

I know a lot of people who have read the book and don't detect any idea of \Miss Hinchcliffe and Miss Murgatroyed being Gay, The bits you quote could be said about a woman I have met Women who I thought were Lesbians and Men who I thought were Gay and weren't, I admit you are right in some bits of your argument like the fact that after 1950 Agatha Christie's Readers weren't wide eyed Innocents but I sill stand by what I said about her writing of Gay Characters was Ambiguous because I think it was, we obviously mix in different circles or you know people who tell you what you want to here incase they offend you.

Different circles possibly. I doubt anyone who knows me would would find me easy to offend, am a very thick skinned Yorkshireman
    :))
    You weren't taking about whether or not knowing how to play Bridge affected one's enjoyment of the mystery.  What you said is knowing how to play Bridge won't necessarily help a reader to solve the mystery. And you were wrong. As I have pointed out, knowing how to play Bridge  does help a person to solve the mystery. By displaying the scores at the beginning of the story it actually gives a person who knows Bridge a heads up as far as when the murder could've been committed and who committed t he murder. 

An affair between two men is no different than an affair between a man and a woman. Nick Deare neither sexed up or glamorized any part of Cards on the Table. If anything by making Dr. Roberts homosexual he strengthened his motive for murder since as most people (even today) know homosexual acts between members of the same sex was illegal in the 1930s. We all know what happened to Oscar Wilde. Nick Deare did not just arbitrarily throw in a homosexual in Cards on the Table. What he did was to improve upon already excellent mystery by strengthening the motive for the murder.  

Gay men have no more of a propensity to be "bad" or "evil, which ever word you prefer, than their straight counterparts. Sexual orientation has nothing to with one's moral character. Throughout history you've had straight murders and gay murders. Who they slept with had nothing to do with the fact they took another life.

Since homosexual relationships were illegal back in the 1930s there were probably a great number of single men who lived with their sisters or mothers for that matter who were in fact homosexual. So is it possible a doctor who was living with sister in the 1930s, especially in the middle of nowhere in a small village where everyone knows each other's business, was gay.

And there have been quite a few self-loathing homosexuals over the years. The actor Anthony Perkins spent most of his adult life in psychotherapy trying to become straight. Roy Cohn, a attorney for McCarthy during the Ant-Comminist trials in the 1950s when he was dying from AIDS in the 1980s offered to pay his doctor $50,000 to say he was drying from liver caner because he was so shamed of having the disease and being a homosexual. Not too mention the number of people who today go to this Ex-Gay clinics in the hopes of being "cured". So being gay does not necessarily preclude a person from being either  homophobic or paranoid or even both.   

Kevin Elyot did make  changes. Some minor, some not. The addition of the crucifix during Poirot's death scene in Curtain instantly comes to mind. Along with making Poirot much more religious than he ever was in the stories. There is no difference between changing a characters's sexual orientation or expanding or as you might say "re-writting" the religious aspect of a character. Other screenwriters have made similar changers. The relationship between the Countess Vera Rossakoff and Poirot was greatly expanded (re-written?) upon in the television adaptations. David Suchet had this to say about The Chocolate Box. "...Anna was quite superb in our film, bewitching the younger Poirot completely, and presenting him with the tiny silver vase for his lapel that he wore filled with wild flowers from that day onwards." He goes on to say, "In fact, that never happened in Dame Agatha's original story, but was another example of the screenwriter allowing Poirot an opportunity to display rather more of himself to the audience on television that he did in the original story." In the novels and short stories Poirot never had a romantic relationship with either a woman or a man, yet is by giving him a romantic interest in the form of Viriginie in The Chocolate Box or the Countess in The Double Clue "sexing " up or "glamorizing either one of these adaptations? I think not. 

Concerning the saying about calling a spade  a spade. As a great wit once, said "The man who calls a spade a spade should be compelled to use one."
    So Tommy by giving Poirot, who appears to be asexual in the books, a female love interest were the writers "catering" or "pandering" to the straight community? Although when one things about can one truly say Poirot was asexual. In the short story, The Arcadian Deer  Poirot does make a rather provocative comment about a young attractive auto mechanic. "Here, he [Poirot] thought, was one of the handsomest specimens of humanity he ever seen, a simple young man with the outward semblance of a Greek God." Hmmm...maybe Poirot did a few gay bones in his body after all. 
     Ooops...I meant rosary instead of crucifix. Poirot was clutching his rosary beads while he lay drying in Curtain. But this was still not in the book. 
    edited August 2014
    @ S-Sigerson  - "You weren't taking about whether or not knowing how to play Bridge affected one's enjoyment of the mystery.  What you said is knowing how to play Bridge won't necessarily help a reader to solve the mystery. And you were wrong".

I repeat the first line of my original comment on this thread.

"I don't think that having any knowledge of how to play Bridge is at all important to the enjoyment of the book, and I don't think Bridge players have an advantage over non-Bridge players in solving the crime".

Do you play Bridge yourself, or have knowledge of how the game works? and if so, did you yourself therefore spot the murderer by chapter 6 when the score cards are shown in the book? Or are you just re-iterating the opinons of others? I don't play Bridge, but I managed to work out who the murderer was the first time I read the book. Possibly though, that was because it was one of the last Poirot stories which I got to read and so I was perhaps more attuned to how Christie's mind was working by that point. I have to say I'm certainly not particularly clever when it comes to solving the problems Christie sets for her readers, and this was one of the few times I have guessed the murderer correctly.

"An affair between two men is no different than an affair between a man and a woman"

You can't have it both ways by claiming this to be the case and then arguing that making the character of Dr Roberts a homosexual strengthened his motive for murder. Firstly, an affair between two members of the same sex remains as unacceptable today in many parts of the world (around 80 countries and 13 American states I believe?) as it was in England back in the 1930's. Presumably as a heterosexual, possibly white and am guessing almost certainly male resident of the USA discrimination of any form is something you have limited experience of? Secondly, Dr Roberts did not need any strengthening of his motive for murder. If his crimes were made public he would be at best ruined and at worst hung.

"And there have been quite a few self-loathing homosexuals over the years"

Yes, there most certainly have been, but a self-loathing homosexual and a closeted homosexual are not the same thing. One is trying strongly to deny his sexual feelings even to himself, whilst the other could be a perfectly well adjusted man simply trying not to get arrested. You mention as an example of a self-loathing gay man Roy Cohn, but not the persistent rumours surrounding his boss (Sen Joe McCarthy) and J Edgar Hoover. The ruin those two men brought to so many lives and careers is far greater than that wrought by any openly gay man. 

"Along with making Poirot much more religious than he ever was in the stories. There is no difference between changing a characters's sexual orientation or expanding or as you might say "re-writting" the religious aspect of a character."

There is a VAST difference between changing someone's sexual orientation and expanding on their already stated religious beliefs, whether that is in real life or in a novel. In real life, in many countries as I have already stated, the first can bring the accused into court, to prison and possibly even to their death. In a novel, and in much more simplistic and harmless terms, it can change the outcome of a story.

I do not know for certain who the Anna is that you refer to when you lifted your quote about 'The Chocolate Box'. I don't actually think you know to whom you are referring here, but I presume you mean the actress Anna Chancellor who starred alongside him in the adaptation? Whilst she may play the character on film who gives him the lapel button holder, I think you will find that a little more thorough research will show you that the item in question was actually the idea of (and was gift from) the costume designer at the time, and has got nothing to do with either David Suchet or the scriptwriter allowing for character development.

"The man who calls a spade a spade should be compelled to use one."

Oscar Wilde I believe, in the 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'. A quote from before his own downfall from public favour and subsequent imprisonment and someone who (may I guess like yourself) has never had occasion to use one in anger!  Here's two more of Oscar's for you:

" Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation"

" Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go"

A change is still a change. By making Dr. Roberts homosexual, did it have  had a negative effect on the outcome of the mystery? Yes or no? If yes, how? And like I said previously, if anything it strengthened the motive. However, I would like to add a further comment. In both the book and the adaption the  actions and  behavior of Dr. Roberts are pretty much identical. The only difference is his sexual orientation, which really doesn't matter because it doesn't define who we are. Since along with the possibility of not only the ruination of both his personal and professional life, he might go to jail. However, this is not the case with the scenario from the book. No matter how unprofessional it is for a man to have an affair with a female patient it is still no illegal; whereas, a man who has an affair with a male patient (at least in the 1930s Britain) was illegal. And British prisons in the 1930s were much worse places then they are today, so I doubt Dr. Roberts would have been looking forward to this. You can argue all you want (even till the cows come home) but it doesn't change the fact I put up a pretty damn good because argument.  

When I said there is no difference between an affair between members of the opposite sex and members of the same sex, I was referring to the fact that there are scads of affairs between man and woman in Agatha Christie stories, yet no one accuses the screenwriters and other members of the production team for "sexing up" these adaptations. It seems to happen when homosexuals are involved , then this accusation comes flying out of the woodwork at warp speed. The backlash from the kiss in The Body in the Library proved this without a doubt. And take a look at all the negative reviews on Imdb.com that dwell on and even obsess about the homosexual element in Cards on the Table. 

My suspicion was confirmed in chapter 11 when Mrs. Lorimer sits down with Poirot to discuss the bidding. She tells Poirot that "he [Roberts] had no business to make such a bid." And since he bid into her hand and not his own would leave him as dummy. The perfect time to commit the murder.

Actually in my first post I mentioned the book Poirot and me by David Suchet. I assume since I stated it once there was no need to do it again. As you so elegantly put it  this is where I lifted the quote from. And yes I know who the actress is. I believe I have The Chocolate Box on DVD.

It doesn't matter where the idea for the lapel button holder came from. What does matter is it was allowed to stay in the story. I believe David Suchet was speaking more about the interaction between Poirot and Virginie. The giving of this gift was a symbolic gesture of her feelings towards him and by accepting the gift with such obvious joy and happiness his feelings towards her. In the short story this scene never happened. You have two very different characters from the one in the book and the one in the short story. So why is this acceptable and changing a character's sexual orientation is not acceptable?

On the contrary a good many closeted homosexuals are/were self-loathing homosexuals. Even today look at the the number of religious figures and politicians who persecute gays in public, yet in private have sex with men. Google the number of scandals there have been involving these pillars of the community. These stories are rather comical, yet at the same time tragic.I am not going to debate J. Edgar Hoover, Joe McCarthy or even where the body of Jimmy Hoffa is buried.  The point that I made was that even homosexuals can be homophobic. 

Whether I'm gay, straight, bi, black or white doesn't have any bearing on my attitude towards discrimination.  However, I do apologize for using the quote. Looking back I realize it wasn't called for nor did it have anything to do with the discussion.   
    Certain phrases get up my nose. Although the origin of calling a spade a spade is not offensive in itself,  its use as an ethnic slur since the early 20th century has made it quite offensive.   
    @ S-Sigerson

"Certain phrases get up my nose. Although the origin of calling a spade a spade is not offensive in itself,  its use as an ethnic slur since the early 20th century has made it quite offensive".  

The term spade may in the USA be construed as an ethnic slur, but the USA is not the only country in the world that speaks a version of the English language. What a word or phrase means in one country is very different to what it means in another. Do not misappropriate someone else's language and then have the temerity to criticise them for using it in it's original context.

To enlighten you, and anyone else who may be labouring under the misguided notion that the quote I referred to was a racist one, where I come from (Yorkshire, northern England) the term means as follows;

Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (1913)

To be outspoken, blunt, even to the point of rudeness; to call things by their proper names without any "beating about the bush".

Whilst there is some debate about who actually said it first, the following quotation could not be more apt;

" England and America are two countries divided by a common language"

The only difference between a relationship between a man and a woman and a relationship between two men is hat society sadly made the latter illegal and sadly in some parts of the world it still is and the fact that in parts ofd the world it is still illegal is morally wrong,

By Making The Doctor Homosexual and the Catupulted Battle Replacement a Closet Homosexual he changed the Complection of the story and not only weakened the Character but did nothing to helps Gay people if you can change a story so you can hep a part of society you are bound to just like having Positive discrimination or quotas ruins things for Disabled people and Woman.

No S Siegerson I am not saying that by giving Poirot a female love interest the Writers weren't pandering to the straight community because that is how The Chocolate box and the relationship with Countess Rossakoff was written by a Writer who was writing in a time when she was writing in a more Traditional era, All Changes to a Book when adapted for Television should be sympathetic to the book and the loyal Fans who want it done as close to the Original as possible, I don't think ITV did that with Cards On The Table, they could have been more subtle.

I am a Disabled Man of Yorkshire Parentage. 

Tommy, I understand where you are coming from.  I just don't see how making Dr. Roberts gay in any way reflects negatively on gay people. I have revised my argument somewhat after re-watching Cards on the Table.    

I re-watched Cards on the Table and realized my argument is somewhat flawed. Though my main argument still holds. 

In the book Poirot Dr. Roberts kills Mrs. Lorimer after she confesses to the murder of Shaitana. Poirot tricks Dr. Roberts into confessing to the murder by hiring an actor friend of his to play a window cleaner who supposedly witnessed Dr. Roberts killing Mrs. Lorimer. This was left out of the adaptation. One reason could be, since it the adaptation is only 90 minute long there just wasn’t enough time to include it or maybe for some other logistic reason. Regardless of the reasons why it was left it created a problem because there still needs to be a way to trick Dr. Roberts into confessing. To solve this problem compromising photographs were introduced. These photographs (of a homosexual nature) could have been used in court in criminal proceedings. During the denouement Poirot makes the accusation, Dr. Robert flatly denies it and even suggests Poirot see a psychiatrist (Alex Jennings was really quite good in the role) which was quite funny…the delivery and the look on Poirt’s face. Poirot produces the photographs with theatrical flare. Dr. Roberts thinks the photographs are of him and tries to flee. One of several reasons why Superintendent needed to be homosexual is because the compromising photographs are of him.  So he was not just arbitrarily made homosexual just for the heck of it. 

In the book Dr. Roberts kills Shaitana because he knows that Dr. Roberts has killed Mr. and Mrs. Craddock However, you have to ask yourself where is the hard evidence of the crime.  We never know what Shaitana has on Dr. Roberts. In which case, Nick Dear might have had actually made the mystery stronger by making the changes that he did. I realize a lot people might get upset about my statement because countless times people have said, how can they (the writers) improve upon the Queen of Crime. I have a lot of respect for Christie, she was clever and a wonderful storyteller; however, like all of us she was not perfect. One of the things I most admire about her was her humility. Getting back to the adaptation. In it Dr. Roberts only kills Mrs. Craddock. As we find out later he is carrying on a homosexual relationship with Mr. Craddock who is not dead. This affair is the motive behind Dr. Roberts murdering Mrs. Craddock who had found out about the relationship. If Shaitana knew not only about the affair that was still going on and that Dr. Roberts had also murdered Mrs. Craddock then Shaitana would have been a real and serious threat to Dr. Roberts. That is a strong motive.  What makes the plot even more interesting is Mr. Craddock is Dr. Robert’s Bridge partner. If Superintendent Wheeler is also homosexual then it is possible he is Dr. Robert’s Bridge partner and they could have been in on the murder together. It is possible Poirot suspected this. 

The compromising photographs along with comments from Dr. Roberts’s secretary Poirot is able to discover who the murderer is. Not only do the photographs serve as a way trick of Dr. Roberts into confessing, but they are invaluable for Poirot in in putting two and two together.  

After seeing it again I really do believe it is one of the best adaptations.  The denouement is incredible. This is what drama is all about.  It was a clever tight plot with great acting and writing. And Mrs. Oliver, as usual, is priceless.  
    Tommy,

If we were talking about a book like Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, I would agree with you. For example, making Darcy homosexual would definitely change the entire dynamic of the story. I probably wouldn't like it. But Cards on the Table is a mystery which I think is in a different category. The characters are subservient to the plot/puzzle. The puzzle element is why I like Cards on the Table so much. I don't find the characters all that interesting. They are pretty two-dimensional. I don't think Christie spent much time in developing the characters in this book. Instead she put all her efforts into crafting a really great mystery/puzzle. 

This being said, if you or anyone else reads Cards on the Table or any other Agatha Christie for the characters then you would probably  feel differently about the characters. In that case I can understand why you wouldn't like the changes.  

edited August 2014
    So, just to get this clear, in the ITV adaptation the following changes are made;

1) Change the sexuality of one murderer (Dr Roberts), reduce the number of murders he has already committed to just one, and also change the motive for that murder.  

2) Change the sexuality (and then, by necessity, have to change the actual character of ) the policeman. This has to be done in order to be able make up the fake evidence which is needed to coerce the now homosexual murderer into a confession of his crime. ie make the heterosexual Superintendent Battle (a character we already know, and who is married with children) into the one off Superintendent Wheeler and then create incriminating photographs of Wheeler and another man which you then use as a bluff to make Dr Roberts think they are of him and Mr Craddock. So now we have four homosexual characters (Dr Roberts, Mr Craddock, Superintendent Wheeler and his unnamed bed partner) where in the book there are none.

3) Swap the second murderer and her companion around (Rhoda Dawes becomes the second murderer instead of Anne Meredith).

4) Change the budding relationship between Rhoda and Major Despard into one between Anne Meredith and Despard, in order to create a motive for making Rhoda Dawes a murderer in the first place.

4) Create a totally fictitious mother-daughter relationship between Anne Meredith and Mrs Lorrimer

5) Do not then kill Mrs Lorrimer, because due to all these changes that have already been made, the first murderer (Dr Roberts) no longer has any reason to kill her.

6) Make Mr Shaitana into a drug dealer who supposedly no longer wishes to live. So have him take sleeping pills that evening in order to make it easier/less painful for him to die. So that's a murder committed with a victim's knowledge and co-operation. In other words, assisted suicide.

and despite all of this, you maintain that the scriptwriters merely "expanded" upon Agatha's story? The adaptation is as false as Achille Poirot!  Further, it is as far removed removed from the novel (and as poor in quality) as was the introduction of Miss Marple into the adaptation of 'The Pale Horse' and several other stories. 

"I re-watched Cards on the Table and realized my argument is somewhat flawed." .....at least we agree on something.

" If Shaitana knew not only about the affair that was still going on and that Dr. Roberts had also murdered Mrs. Craddock then Shaitana would have been a real and serious threat to Dr. Roberts". ......Shaitana already IS a real and serious threat to Dr Roberts. He knows he is a murderer.!

"I don't find the characters all that interesting......... if you or anyone else reads Cards on the Table or any other Agatha Christie for the characters then you would probably feel differently about the characters." ....each to his own, but in all honesty what's the point of reading a book if not for the character's in it? Otherwise, why not just read a precis on a book review website and have done with it?. Then you wouldn't need to be bothered with any of Poirot's little idiosyncrasies, or Miss Marple's 'old pussy' habits and knowing comments, or Sherlock Holmes random and brilliant pieces of deduction based on things like how far the parsley sank into the butter, or Insp Morse's love for classical music and real ale. How very, very sad.