January 2014 Book of the Month: The Body in the Library

2»

Comments

• Looks great Fiona!
  • youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Like you, MissQuin, I think this was my first Marple complete novel. I enjoyed it as you all have, but it's not certainly my favourite. I have always felt the title (like many others) cheated me since it made me think that the murder itself was connected with books and libraries. It turned out it was just the place where it was found.
    That said, it's good Miss Marple and a classic setting for her. As many have also pointed out, it's interesting how her relationship with Dolly is portrayed. The twist at the end got me hooked to all her writing.
    The most interesting aspect for me is that this same mannor in which the body is found is the one where the action (and murder) of Mirror crack'd also happens. These two books set the extremes of a timeline that really shows that, while Miss Marple doesn't seem to age,m the world around her does change. I also think that it's the same with Styles: the same house at the beginning and the end of Poirot's career.
  • Yes, as others have already commented, I love how AC shows how all the different members of the household react to finding a body in their library. And its fascinating how Col. Bantry is actually so sensitive. Dolly is fabulous - I love her, and always enjoy her appearing in a book. I like how she and Miss Marple team up, confide in eachother, and support one another. Nevertheless, when needed, she is their for her husband. Miss Marple is the one who truly forsees the effects this murder will have on the village, and on the Bantry family in particular. It's also fun because, as AC often does, she shows the generation gap; she has a thoroughly modern young couple who find it difficult to communicate with the regular villagers. This novel skips between seperate settings - the village, the hotel, etc. 
    But is it AC's best, or my favorite? Not necessarily. But still, a jolly good read.