The ABC Murders: Book Review

edited January 2014 in All stories
 A is for Mrs. Ascher – fatally attacked in Andover. B is for Betty Barnard – strangled on the beach in Bexhill. C is for Sir Carmichael Clarke – now a corpse in Churston. If nothing else, the murderer knew is ABCs. But the alphabetical assassin would need to know more that that to outwit the world’s cleverest detective…Hercule Poirot!
This is another Agatha Christie  story I have read, although I am familiar with the Hercule Poirot series on television. This was also my first foray into this genre; most “mysteries” I have read are actually gory crime thrillers. It was refreshing to have a main character, the dapper Poirot, instead of some gritty detective with emotional problems. Poirot is brilliant, polished, and funny. He’s even well-adjusted. I also appreciated the fact that the story was told from the perspective of Poirot’s friend, Captain Hastings, meaning that I was left out of Poirot’s thought-processes, so every twist and turn was a surprise.

The story starts out with the arrival of a teasing letter at Poirot’s home. It warns of something happening in Andover on a specific day. When Alice Ascher is found dead, it’s obvious that the murderer is engaged in a lethal game with Poirot. The cast of characters keeps expanding as more murders occur, including family members and distraught boyfriends. Although everyone is a suspect, there are mysterious chapters interspersed throughout the book that feature a strange man named Alexander Bonaparte Cust…A.B.C. Who is this man? What is his connection to the murders?

As the police are scrambling to try to find A.B.C. and to prevent these murders from happening on their appointed days, Poirot is using all his mental powers to try and figure out why these murders are happening. Even when it seems that the case is all locked up, Poirot still tries to understand the underlying reasons behind the crimes. It is this reason that finally blows the case wide open and provides a stunning twist at the end.

This book is a classic of Christie’s and really demonstrates her skills as the premier mystery writer. It will obviously appeal to all mystery fiction fans, but also to anyone who is curious about this classic genre. I am looking forward to reading more of Christie’s books, and especially those featuring this comically brilliant detective.

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

ABC Murders as a Briliant book and shows how Agatha Christie wrote Brilliantly from such a simple Idea namely the Alphabet, she was excellent at using any little thing like The Labours of Hercules and Rhymes such as Mrs McGinty's Dead although she didn't use Hickory Dickory Dock, One Two Buckle My Shoe and Five Little Pigs Brilliantly and her use of Shakespeare, Omar Khyam and Tennyson, There is a Line from Shakespeare which if I remember writely goes, There is something nasty in the Woodshed and ABC Murders and many Other Books suit this line Brilliantly.

I love the fact Hastings and Japp are in this one, This as near to a Perfect book as possible, Reading it made me want to buy the Adaptation on Video, The Changes are Unnecessary but harmless and don't do harm to the Book, I have read it 6 times and look forward to a Seventh.

• Christopher_WrenChristopher_Wren Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
    I still think out of all the murder methods in her books, this is the one, that might work in really life. Hopefully, noone decides to copy it. ;-)
    It's the easiest Idea, a How to Manual if you like, The Books suggests a way of choosing your Victims but it telegraphs who would be next but there again a Murderer could just pick names out of a phone book or he could instead of going A B C etc with surnames he could with Occupations
  • It's an incredibly callous and cruel method of murder. 
    SPOILER
    The murderer shields himself by killing people he has no motive in killing - until he reaches the person he really does wish to kill. It is a matter of chance that that person is located near the beginning of the alphabet instead of further along, in which case there might have been more murders, which as Poirot showed, are very difficult to prevent!
    What I find interesting, is that this is the closest AC gets to a seriel killer who simply kills (the others, if they kill multiple times, it's to protect themselves after the initial murder). And here too, she shows that the murderer acts from a motive - she NEVER provides a solution of someone who kills without a motive that we can understand. Not like some serial killers that you occasionally read about, where there doesn't seem to be any reason for their action. AC insists on a reason, even though she provides characters who voice modern opinions about DNA and environment being responsible.

I love your Analysis of this Excellent Shifla, I am glad Agatha Christie's Murderers all have Motives, it makes for a better book, I wouldn't want to read a book where the Murderer didn't really have a motive and I don't read those books.
    I am very sorry I just realised I got your name weong, I am sorry.
  • @Tommy_A_Jones that's okay... 'l' and 'r' are phonetically similar letters...
    Spoiler
    I think that perhaps this is best shown in After the Funeral. Some of the characters are rather shocked that the motive was...to open a tea-shop. And AC describes, at great length, just what this imagined tea-shop would have been like (the chairs, the decor, the types of tea and cakes), so we can understand how important it was to the killer. Because, if it's not a strong enough motive, you won't really believe that someone would actually cooly, calculatingly, kill for it. 

You are very understanding Shifra, When I first read The Book and read The Murdeer's desire to open a Tea shop I was immediately transported back to visiting a Café wth My Mum, Inside it had that Chocolate boxy feel and t felt like we were back in the type of Café where Tommy and Tuppence go to in The Secret Adversary, The Cakes, Tea Décor and Atmosphere was wonderful, when we returned to find it again it had changed, It was very sad. 

• I've never really been in a tea shop, and I don't really like tea... but I can well understand her desire for an occupation that she would really enjoy; something she really felt cut out for. So often AC talks about how horrid it must be to have to be a companion, such as in Death on the Nile. Women didn't really have that many options open for them. So it must have been so very tempting - the killer thought that after one murder, life would be open and easy. And once they'd begun to think about it, it must have been easy to justify it; they thought they were really cleverer and more fit to live and enjoy life, etc. 
    Yes, it's sad when life passes on and everything changes, but it's strange when it doesn't as AC showed in Miss Marple's At Bertram's Hotel. If it seems too perfect - suspect it...

I am sure Companions made their feelings known so it probably not nice for the women who have Companions either, It must have been Horrible for Miss Marple to employ that Horrible woman in The Mirror Crack'd From Side To Side

I was thinking of an Earlier Post of yours ABC Murders is not the only time there was a serial Killer, SPOILERS there is also Death Comes As The End and Pale Horse with both books I think the Term Serial Killer would apply

And Murder Is Easy
  • edited March 2016
    Death Comes as the End is one of the few I've yet to read. Pale Horse - yes, serial killer/s should apply there as well, even though quite a few people are involved in different stages. There again - even though it's wrapped up and veiled in such fancy nonsense, it turns out SPOILER
    that not only are the murders done in a very practical way, but also for a very pragmatic purpose. And Murder is Easy - yes, again a serial killer (right!) where all the murders are shown to lead to one purpose: to frame someone else. Her motive is explained - she doesn't just kill for the pleasure of killing.
    I agree with your points
  • youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina
    @shifra.shomron:
    Like Tommy, I'm finding also your analysis very thought-provoking. However, I don't completely agree in everything you say. For instance, AC does get closer to a serial killer in By The Pricking Of My Thumbs.

*SPOILERS*

I don't see the existence of a serial killer completely opposite to "having a purpose" to be one, as I understand you have stated. I mean, it seems to me that for you they are some kind of opposites that eventually AC ensembles. However, I think this is a false dichotomy. Serial killers DO have motives, reasons and/or a background to be that way. Mrs. Lancaster would be a good example, killing children in her youth because of her abortion and in general his difficulties with motherhood. Now, while I don't completely believe this would be in real life a realistic reason to become a child murderer, I do think that is valid in the story to craft her like this. And she, she does qualify for serial killer, either with the children or the old ladies.
    I agree with your points.
    I agree with your points.
  • They are intereting points.