4. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd 
    5. The Secret Adversary
  • LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria
    Murder on the Orient Express
    The A.B.C. Murders
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
    Card on the Table
    A Murder Is Announced

(looks like I like very much books with the word "murder" in the title :D )
  • 1. 4:50 from Paddington
    2. By the Pricking of My Thumbs
    3. The Moving Finger
    4. The ABC Murders
    5. Sleeping Murder
    (and I have a soft spot for The Clocks even though it was a bit far fetched - I loved the red herrings and plot twists)
  • Sad_CypressSad_Cypress Kauno Apskritis, Lithuania
    1. Murder On The Orient Express
    2. Appointment With Death
    3. Crooked House
    4. Destination Unknown
    5. A Murder Is Announced

This is my top 5. For now :)
  • ianthepoetianthepoet Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    1. And Then There Were None.
    2. Murder On The Orient Express.
    3. A Murder Is Announced.
    4. Curtain.
    5. Crooked House.
  • I would have a TOP 5 of Poirot and a top 5 of Marple then a top 5 of all the None serires books, I like too many to reduce it to Five.  I know Then There Were None would be on the list. 
  • youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina
    edited January 2014
    I think it would be much more interesting if we can provide some  background for our choices. Like, WHY we think in these books.

1. The Pale Horse (a gem, I can't believe up until now nobody has put it in his/her list). This is the only AC book that ensembles a thriller, a detective story, romance and the supernatural theme in one story. The integrity of this mix is seen nowhere else in her canon. The fact that the narrative brings back different characters from past stories gives it more points in my book, because it seems to me that AC is talking to an experienced reader who will remember them, and make a dialogue between those past stories and this one. While I could figure out who the villain was (though not the mechanics), it still ranks between one of her most original and well-written stories. Also, like many other stories that describe a changing period, this one paints the beginning of the sixties very well.

2. A murder is announced. This doesn't surprise being choosen by so many people. I think it's possibly the best Marple story. From the announcement in the newspaper and the meeting at night, through the investigations and all the secret identities, this story seems to me classic Christie fun. A book that stands for all her qualities as a writer. By near the end, I was suspecting almost everybody, just to realize that what I was "looking for" was turned upside down. Miss Marple is delightful here, as usual.

3. N or M? This is the second book I read with T&T (the first was Postern of Fate) and the second AC book I read in English (because I am Argentinian, here we speak and read Spanish). It's in the perfect middle between her thrillers of the twenties and the pure detective story. T&T adventures are always a pleasure to read, but specially here they seem more mature, worried about their adult children and somehow (possible because of this) more careful.

4. ABC Murders. Second AC book I read and also the second Poirot. While I didn't buy thew possibility of the most obvious suspect, I could have never figured out what was really going on. I remember myself, as a teenager, almost eating the book. My version in Spanish was called "El misterio de la guía de ferrocarriles" (The mystery of the trains guide).

5. Seven Dials Mystery One of the last ones I've read. While it is incredibly lighthearted, it succeds in showing us something and putting it in front of us, just to twist it completely by the end. It's a very good book for that, not only for fooling the main characters, but also for fooling the reader in the same way.
  • 1. 4:50 from Paddington
    2. By the Pricking of My Thumbs
    3. The Moving Finger
    4. The ABC Murders
    5. Sleeping Murder
    (and I have a soft spot for The Clocks even though it was a bit far fetched - I loved the red herrings and plot twists)
    Wow, that's certainly a very unique top five! I don't think too many people would put By the Pricking of My Thumbs in there. 
  • No lachy, I don't think they would. And I'm not sure why it appeals to me and not others. (I also disliked Death on the Nile so maybe I'm a bit 'queer' as Agatha would say!).  I found it very suspenseful. I also listed it as one of her most underrated books on another discussion board. Anyway, each to their own :)
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I think The Clocks is Excellent, It is a bit like a Caper, It is a pity Agatha Christie decided to put Poirot in it though, for me that is the only Down side.
  • My favourites are The Clocks, Death on the Nile, Curtain and Hercule Poirot's Christmas. :)
    I don't think By The Pricking of My Thumbs is in my Bottom 5, I don't think any Tommy and Tuppence book is.
  • Christopher_WrenChristopher_Wren Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
    1. And then there were none
    2. The ABC Murders
    3. Murder on the Orient Express
    4. A Murder is announced
    5. Death on the Nile
    I watched the version of ATTWN last night with Richard Attenorough, Gert Frobe, Charles Aznavour, Elke Sommer, Oliver Reed and Herbert Lom, I enjoyed it but wonder why so many of the name's were changed.
  • edited March 2014

1 Sleeping Murder. I love this one more than all the others. I love the way Miss Marple, Gwenda and Giles dig into the past and uncover all the suspects. I enjoy reading how Miss Marple traps the murderer and the first part with Gwenda having all the spooky things happening concerning the house had me hooked.

2. The Pale Horse. I love the whole plot of this one, it is so clever.

3. And Then There Were None. Love it!

4. Cat Among the Pigeons. My favourite Poirot novel. Love the school background.

5. The Moving Finger. Megan is my very favourite Christie  female character and I love her interactions with Jerry and their romance.

• tacobelltacobell Virginia, United States
    1. And Then There Were None
    2. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
    3. Cat Among the Pigeons
    4. Murder on the Orient Express
    5. A Murder is Announced
    I am reading Cat Among The Pigeons when I finish Dissolution by C J Sansom
  • I am going to read CATP next too after somebody recommended it on another discussion board. It is great getting recommendations from other Christie fans and comparing views. :)
    It reminds me of my Old School but only the look and feel, which might sound odd, I imagine my old school was the same period, It has been bought and turned into Flats now so when I think f it I imagine it is one of those like In The Italian Nobleman where you can have your Meals made for you and live in the lap of Luxury (If I have got the Phrase right)
  • My top 5 :
    1. Death on the Nile
    2. A murder is announced
    3. Nemesis
    4. By the pricking of my thumbs
    5. Witness for the prosecution 
  • RinRin Hong Kong, China
    I shall say:

1 Death on the Nile
    It is the very first Agatha Christie novel I read, and it impressed me by the trick and the words. I am really delighted to see @MissQuin's signature -- I like that quote too.

2 Endless Night
    How I like it more and more each day as time passes by! It is just full of human nature.

3 The Curtain

4 Evil Under the Sun

5 Lord Edgware Dies
  • Death on the Nile had such a surprise ending! You pretty much knew who did it, but on the last page :-O
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I think it's one of her best travelling mysteries. I like a lot Caribbean Mystery too.
  • youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina
    1. A murder is announced
    2. The Pale Horse
    3. The moving finger
    4. By the pricking of my thumbs
    5. The mysterious Mr. Quinn