Most Underrated Christie Book?

2»

Comments

• AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    Sittaford Mystery for me too. Christie just makes the reader feel like they are in this snowed in area with all of the characters. A great book to read during a snow storm, (or any time at all), and the level of suspense Christie creates in this book is on par with some of her most well known novels.

I do want to give honorable mention to, "Murder on the Links." Its a novel that doesn't get mentioned on many best of lists, but I its one I always have a hard time putting down.
  • @Agathasmykid, "Murder On The Links" is definitely one not mentioned hardly at all on a favorite A.C. book list. It's a mystery filled with many complications, reminding me a lot of another Christie book The Murder At The Vicarage. Both books has a lot going on but they do keep your mind working. 
  • CrookedQuinCrookedQuin California, United States
    Cat Among the Pigeons-- I thouroughly enjoyed reading about the students, the teachers, the school life. It was one of those Christie's where this was a character I did not suspect, and they were not the most or least likely to be it, so it is a plausible and yet captivating mystery. 
  • edited January 2017
    @CrookedQuin, what's so unique about Cat Among the Pigeons is that it's a spy thriller/mystery so you kind of get the best of both worlds. 
  • CrookedQuinCrookedQuin California, United States
    @ChristieFanForLife Yeah. I think, to be honest, it is one of her best written spy novels, along with Secret of the Chimneys which I also enjoyed for all of the massive game changers piling on each other like murder victims towards the resolution. I also generally liked They Came To Baghdad, but not at a wide extent as I do her other novels, probably a 6.5/10. To me her three weakest (all others then these three, Elephants Can Remember and They Came to Baghdad I would rate all at least a 7.25/10) are Destination Unknown (saved mostly by the final twist) which led me to give it 5.5/10 followed by Postern of Fate (I was confused on it, but if their was better editing it probably would be a much better novel, 5/10) and Passenger to Frankfurt which I felt had a hidden good book beneath the surface, but she needed more time to write it, and of course, it made me wonder what the editor was doing. 
  • edited January 2017
    @CrookedQuin, I was thinking earlier about Postern of Fate. Do you think the book should stay as is or whether today's editors and the Christie estate can take the book, edit, trim it and polish it up? Even if that were to happen I would feel very iffy about it, especially with the way the Christie estate is doing to Christie's name and legacy. Maybe if Christie's daughter Rosalind was still alive then . .  . . maybe, BUT the thing is it would be messing around with Christie's original work and I think if any editing were to be done it should have been done in the 70's right when it was in Christie's original editor's hands. I'm guessing the editors really wanted that "Christie for Christmas" to hit the bookshelves.

Christie's late career reminds me a lot of Alfred Hitchcock's. As they got older their later work was heavily criticized and often compared to their earlier ones. Another similarity is that both have a particular work from the later years that stands out and is often talked about. For Christie it was Endless Night, for Alfred Hitchcock Frenzy. 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    There is also a Humorous side to Cat Among The Pigeons because of the 'Death of A Games Mistress which gives the Book a cosiness to it so with the Book you have everything you would want from a Murder Mystery just like in my Opinion The Clocks which to me has nearly everything I could wish for, both Books are both lacking in Dramatic last words