Illegitimacy and inheritance in Christie plots

In a few Christie stories - like Sad Cypress, which I've just watched on TV for the hundredth time - the plot revolves around the inheritance of an intestate estate by an unacknowledged illegitimate child. However, I understood that, until (I think) 1959, illegitimate children had NO inheritance rights, unless specifically named in a Will - in which case, the plots don't work!

Any legal eagles on here who can clarify?

Thanks

Tereza

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I am not an expert but I think I heard on Heir Hunters that in the 80s or 90s iIligitimate Children were now accepted when it came to Inheriting, If you are Adopted The Law assumes you are part of another Family so will inherit from your adoptive Family, but if there hasn't been an adoption you are considered by the Law as one of your Natural Family  
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    Take a look here at some of the links: they can provide some information on inheritance issues.  http://nanowrimo.org/forums/reference-desk/threads/134117
  • TommyTommy Vale of Glamorgan, The, United Kingdom
    edited February 2014
    One thing is certain, Agatha Christie did her research! In her personal archive there are examples of correspondence between herself and legal advisors clarifying the law of the time of the story (and coincidentally to this topic, one reference to the legitimacy act of 1926). There is also a letter from a London lawyer apologising profusely for calling one of her plots into question - it transpired that she knew more of that area of the law than the lawyer himself. 
  • Go Agatha!~Oh to have a mind like hers :)