Death in paradise

Did anyone see this weeks Death in paradise on BBC? I solved the murder (a first) because the murder was committed in a similar way to Cora in After the Funeral. Coincidence?

Comments

• I didn't see it but I do know that Agatha Christie's work has influenced so many crime works. A few years ago there was an episode of Jonathan Creek. It actually stole the method of murder from a Mr Quin story The Face of Helen. It was a very complex way of killing someone, so it was  wrong for David Renwick to plagiarize it. 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I didn't notice that, I love ||Death In Paradise, an Episode in the 1st series reminded me of Murder At Marsdon Manor, where Richard Poole played by Ben Miller, was ill in bed and The Team kept coming to fill him in and so he virtually solved it from his bedside, In another Episode he mentions and Agatha Christie book is a good book, I can't remember which one, Sarah Smart who was in They Do It With Mirrors and Mrs McGinty's Dead was in that Episode.
  • 'Death in Paradise' is a super Murder Mystery programme to watch. How to solve a murder in one hour. And so like Christie at the end, where all the possible candidates are gathered together as the detective reveals his solution. If you miss the opening minutes you will find it very difficult to solve the crime. Great TV.
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    Love Death in Paradise.....

• Unfortunately I don't think this programme has made it to Australia...or has it? It sounds great!
  • Lucy it has made it to Australia! The last episode of the first series was on the ABC maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago. It was being shown on Friday night at 8:30. I think the second series should be shown in Australia sometime this year. 
  • Awesome - thanks Lachy! I might try to get hold of a copy of series 1 at the ABC shop. Cheers
    I didn't mean Murder At Marsden Manor I meant The Hunters Lodge sorry for not pointing out my mistake.
  • edited March 2014
    @LucyGLemon - Death in Paradise Series 3 starts on the ABC in Australia on this Saturday Night!   
  • Thank you Lachy!! You beat me to it with your post.  I heard it advertised on ABC radio today. Once again, thank you! :)
  • BTW will I need to have seen series 1 and 2 to make sense of it?  I'm looking forward to it, especially if it is in the style of Agatha :)
  • Dr.SheppardDr.Sheppard Oxford, UK
    edited March 2014
    DIP. Just step in and enjoy. The only change is the lead detective, from Ben Miller to Kris Marshall - they both have a quirk to solving the crimes. Each programme is stand alone, but with a little side theme revealed in the final minutes at the end of series 3. You'll love it.
  • Lucy, I think you should be able to follow well enough without having watched Series 1 & 2. If there's anything you want clarified you can always ask.
  • I've never heard of this program before, but I just checked my TV listings and it turns out it is available here in the U.S. now on public television. Can't wait to give it a try!
  • Thank you guys! Something to look forward to on this rainy weekend!
    It is Excellent, ENJOY
  • alanalialanali San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago
    It's a great murder mystery programme with a warm, Caribbean feel!
    and it sort of has the same texture as Agatha Christie, and it is quirky and fun which I think there is still a call for and desperately needed.
  • I just saw the second episode of Series 3 last night.

I guessed the murderer and the motive right from the start and told my husband:

"I think this is just like Peril at End House,"

• FrankFrank Queensland, Australia
    The writers of Death in Paradise do borrow an idea or two from AC from time to time but it is done so well I am sure fans of AC can forgive them. Its a great 'who done it' that's worth a watch.
    What is there to forgive? any nod to Agatha Christie's work must only please Agatha Christie Fans surely, I can think of 2 Episodes of Murder She Wrote that remind Me of Miss Marple books and the Programme has Crime Novelist, 2 Private Investigators which is what Poirot is, a member of the Secret Services and Recurring Policemen, one in Cabot Cove in the same way Miss Marple Books have Slack or Craddock so I think it is a Compliment ad Gladdens the Heart
    And the Doctor in Cabot Cove and St Mary Mead have the same surname Initial
  • @alanali yes I love the warm Caribbean feel
    @Tommy_A_Jones terrific insight and correlation to AC
    Thank you for putting me onto this show - I love it!
    If you can get the first two series', They are Excellent but I love the way a Riddle is used in Ep 1 of series 3 and a Fable in the last Episode, sadly didn't understand the riddle in one of the Episodes, something about a coin being thrown from Hotel Floors I think, can anyone enlighten me?
  • alanalialanali San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago

@Tommy_A_Jones I believe the riddle begins with a dead body being found outside a hotel. It is initially deemed a suicide. When the detective arrives he proceeds to climb each storey, and flips a coin out of the particular window. After this exercise he announces that it was a murder and not a suicide. We are left to unravel how the detective arrived at this conclusion.

The most popular answer is that he had to open each window to flip the coin. A murderer would have closed the window after pushing the victim to his death. If the person was a jumper he would not have closed the window.

The solution is predicated on a number of assumptions which makes this an inelegant solution at best.

Thank you, I agree with you, I suppose because it s assumed the Murderer closes the window Murder is suspected but themurderer might not have shut the window to make it look like suicide