Who turned you on to Agatha Christie?

My mother and I shared this passion...it was wonderful to have something in common with her....

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I think it was my Grand Mother but it might be I ran out of Enid Blyton Books and progressed
  • My mum brought home some Agatha Christie books from an op-shop one day, after I had been watching Poirot and Miss Marple on TV and thoroughly enjoyed them, and now I haven't looked back. AC always continues to surprise!
  • I remember my mum talking about loving AgathaChristies (I thought it was one word). I didn't understand what they were. She had borrowed them from her school library, as a teenager, so we didn't have any in the house. When I got to Primary School, I spotted one in the book ordering catalogue - it was 4:50 From Paddington - I was fascinated by its cover. After that, I didn't get my hands on another until I went to Senior School and was able to borrow many titles from the school library. And that is where the obsession began...
  • I think it was my Grand Mother but it might be I ran out of Enid Blyton Books and progressed

You too?

I started on Enid Blyton then, at about age 12, turned to Nancy Drew, Trixie Beldon, The Three Investigators etc.

There were Agatha Christie books in the school Library so I decided to try one. It was "The Body in the Library".  Loved it and the rest is history!

I read Secret Seven Books and some books with Frederick Algynon Trottville, what about you Anne?

I also read a Nancy Drew Book or two and The Hardy Boys, I really enjoyed them, I started watching Frasier and watched the Episode where The Hardy Boys are mentioned, And Then There Were None was mentioned in one episode too, Frasier played Dr Armstrong to get his father's Chair back as he had given it away and it was being used for a School Production.

• tacobelltacobell Virginia, United States
    It was my grandmother. She bought me some Agatha Christie books and I loved them. I started reading these when I was about 10 years old.
  • alanalialanali San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago

I  was 12 years old at the time and stumbled upon her books on my own. A local bookshop was well stocked with various titles and I decided to give one a try. Actually, I bought two of her books: Hallowe'en Party and A Murder is Announced. Whilst now I may not have adequate time to really enjoy her books  I've been an aficionado ever since.

• edited April 2014

I read almost every Enid Blyton book ever written. I loved the "Mystery" series which are the ones you mentioned with Frederick Algernon Trotterville. I read the "Secret Seven", "The Famous Five", The "Adventure" series, the "Secret of" series, "The Adventurous Four", all the boarding school ones plus some stand alone titles.

I also read mystery books by Malcom Saville and Mabel Esther Allen. They wrote really good ones.

This is going back to the late 60s and early 70s so I think a lot of the books I loved as a child/teenager are probably out of print now.

I also remember reading an Enid Blyton book where a Boy got into trouble with I think 5 other boys but can't remember what it was called.
  • That's the one I was thinking of.

I have heard of it but never read it!

Yes That is the one I meant, I thought it quite unnerving when I was a child 30+ years ago.
  • My mother. She gave a book "Death on the Nile" of Agatha Christie for my 12th birthday. At first I was very disappointed then at that moment, i had hoped for a bike! But the day after I began to read and ....I'm still reading her books over and over again! I'm so thankful my mother did gave me that book! :-)  
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I started reading Agatha Christie because all my friends at school had  already read her books, so I bought two of them (at random) and started reading. Now, Agatha Christie is my favorite writer and I can't stop reading it.
  • Well, I expressed my interest in detective novels to my grandmother, then she suggested that I should borrow an Agatha Christie book from our local library. And, guess what? The first Christie I borrowed ended up to not only be my favorite Christie, but my favorite book: "AND THEN THERE WERE NONE" Now I know that if I were a detective, no one would request me. And those that do would hate me from the bottom of their heart

• LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria
    The Bulgarian publishing house which started publishing Agatha Christie's books in a collection several years ago. The publishing still continues, so far there are about 50 books and I have about 40 of them (of which I read about 25).
    I think this would be the biggest goal of a publishing house - to make someone keen on an author, whose books they publish.
  • An AC book was assigned in high school in the 70s. We were required to take 4 years of Writing classes (those were the days huh?!)  I signed up 1 year for "Mystery." The first half was Sherlock Holmes (A.C. Doyle) and the 2nd half of the year was Agatha Christie and had assigned papers to write for each of the books read.  I was hooked right away on both!
  • edited April 2014
    Your stories are so cool! Where I lived, my library had a really small English section. I'd already read every book we owned - and all the books for my age (and somewhat above) at the library. When my mother told me that a friend of hers had books in English, I was delighted! She had shelves of yellowed Agatha Christies. I was about 11-13 yrs old. Like @Cynthia V. Anderson I got hooked... I was horrified when she later threw them away to make space - and didn't let me know ahead of time. But since then, I've purchased many of the A.C. books ...
  • An AC book was assigned in high school in the 70s. We were required to take 4 years of Writing classes (those were the days huh?!)  I signed up 1 year for "Mystery." The first half was Sherlock Holmes (A.C. Doyle) and the 2nd half of the year was Agatha Christie and had assigned papers to write for each of the books read.  I was hooked right away on both!
    I wish I was at your school in the 70s Cynthia! And AC was a fan of Arthur Conan Doyle's writing too, I understand, which is a nice touch.
  • a frnd of mine led me to agatha christie's path
  • nzfannzfan New Zealand
    I remember being very young, about 6, and my Dad coming home with a carton of books from a second hand shop and in it were some Agatha Christie's for my mum.  I was so intrigued by the Tom Adams covers!  Ten years later I started reading them and haven't stopped since!
  • my brother in law :)
  • FrankFrank Queensland, Australia
    My uncle was moving house so he decided to have a clean out. My sister salvaged all the books he was going to throw away and amongst them were a number of Agatha Christie books which I started reading and have never stopped. It just goes to show that one man's trash is another man's treasure. 
  • DeanDean United Kingdom
    No one turned me on to like Agatha Christie. You know how Murder On the Orient Express is quite popular I went on Wikipedia and found out how it was done and then I got interested in it and then I started watching Poirot and then started watching nearly everything about her and that is how I got interested in Agatha Christie.