Which book have you found hard to penetrate yet worth persevering with?

This discussion was prompted by some interesting comments that arose on the "what are you reading now" thread.

Which Christie have you picked up, began, and found difficult to engage with? Did you persevere, and were you glad that you did?

Were there other off-putting factors, such as cover image or title, that made you avoid a certain book for a long time, only to find that when you did start it, it was well worth the wait?

I am going to start this discussion by answering the latter question:  when I was a teenager I was given a copy of The Pale Horse. I did not want to read it, as my copy had a picture of a shrunken head and other various witch-doctor type paraphernalia on the cover. I was not interested in that subject matter at all, preferring the cosy English village style murders. I also thought the "Pale Horse" may have been some animal involved in the plot, when it turns out it is the name of the village inn!  

Only a few years ago I finally picked it up and decided to persevere. I was pleasantly surprised that, even though there was a bit of hocus-pocus in it, it was actually a cosy village style murder with an entertaining and clever plot. 

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

By The Pricking of My Thumbs

They Do It With Mirrors

Taken At The Flood

Sad Cypress

Ordeal By Innocence

With both The Secret of Chimneys and Third Girl I didn't finish Chapter one first time but many years later finished both books.

• edited May 2014
    Lord Edgware dies...pffff, I gave up. After a few weeks I started to read the book again from the beginning. I found it so boring, it lacked suspense...though I finished it but will never read it again.:-(
    The first time I read it I was so bored I read ahead and spoilt it for myself, but was cross at the solution anyway, It is one of the books that is better 2nd time around like The Murder of Roger Avckroyd
  • ianthepoetianthepoet Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    I found After the Funeral very difficult and I had read nearly half of it, however I will never go back to it.

That is a shame, I think it is Great

• TeddyBgTeddyBg Bulgaria
    edited December 2014
    I also love After the Funeral, it's one of my most favorites books.

I never abandon a book, no matter how much I do not like it. I really hated Death comes as the End. Until the middle of the book i forced myself to read it. But then the 8th murders saved the situation.

By the way Lucy G Lemon, the bulgarian version of the cover of The Pale Horse is also stupid and ugly. And I also didn't want to read it, but still it's Agatha Christie, so I've decided to start it. It's not one of my favourite, but still not so bad.
    I found The Pale Horse Difficult but persevered, I returned to The Secret of Chimneys and 3rd Girl after Giving up both times early on.
  • First time my sister gifted me " the moving finger" I kept it for a long time in my closet and when I started reading it I felt it so slow and the murder took place in late chapters but when I decided to finish it which I did I liked it soo much but I still didn't finish "evil under the sun" and I don't know why I just couldn't !! I may do in this mid year vecation ..who know?? ;)
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada

Lord Edgware for me too...I had hoped that with Poirot, a dinner party, lots of suspects, and an old English Manor it would be a book that would be great, however it just falls flat for me.

I got bored with Lord Edgware Dies and spoilt it for myself by reading ahead but after thinking about it I read it for a 2nd time and liked it.
  • MelanieDielMelanieDiel Missouri, United States
    Thirteen at Dinner was my first Agatha Christie book, in 1972, I found it to be a little confusing. But now I like it. Also why are the book titles changed sometimes?
  • That's due to translating the book .. Sometimes when you translate a title it's meaning changes, also it may happen while publishing the book in another language, but I agree it's really confusing for me when the title changes especially in the middle east.
  • Sorry I just read what I posted the first sentence is not clear .. I meant while translating a book to a specific country's language the words may change \m/
  • TuppenceBeresfordTuppenceBeresford Hertford, United Kingdom

It often does take me a little while to get used to a new story and a new set of characters but this usually only takes a chapter or so.

Some take longer. I found Death on the Nile a bit slow to begin with, partly because I didn't like any of the characters but it's one of my favourites now. Cat Among the Pigeons improved once the teachers started dropping dead.

Then there are some that started brilliantly but disappointed me later like They Came to Baghdad and Postern of Fate, though the latter has some wonderful moments of comedy all the way through.

• Are roda an dissebar in the pale horse are the same characters from card on  table  ??
  • Are roda an dissebar in the pale horse are the same characters from card on  table  ??
    Yes. Another interesting thing is that both in "Passenger to Frankfurt" and "Murder in Mesopotamia" there is a character named Amy Leatheren, but since the first book is published in 1970, and the second one in 1936 I don't think that they are the same person.
    he 2nd one might be a niece of the First one, I knew a woman who was named after an Aunt who dissapeared.