"NEW POIROT BOOK"

What are your thoughts?  Will you read it?  Your thoughts...

I am confused as to why this woman thinks she could/should take over a character from Dame Christie......I will not read it.

Comments

• FrankFrank Queensland, Australia
    glalonzo0408 feelings about a new author taking over from Agatha Christie. It is hard to believe anyone could write a Poirot novel as well as Agatha Christie. Different writers took over from Ian Fleming after his death attempting to write James Bond novels and as good as they were they lacked the magic of the originals by Fleming. I think as good as the new Poirot novel could be it too may lack the Agatha Christie magic. I for one will be buying the new novel. Who knows we may all be pleasantly surprised.  
  • I'm afraid that I've never had a good experience with another author taking over from the first. I'm not saying the books weren't successul and well-received, just that I didn't find them to be on the same level, and I missed that incomparable something, that nuance, that I loved with the original author. I'm thinking, for instance, of Gone With the Wind - I can't talk about the sequal in the same breath. Ditto with Dune. Authors leave an imprint on their work, and to step into their shoes seems absurd to me. Can you imagine someone writing a new Tom Sawyer story? (or is that a bad example...)
    However, to imitate is flattery. Why not simply write a story in a similar style, using Christie elements, acknowledge your tribute to, and still make it very much your own?
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

I will read it out of Curiosity, as I have said on a different thread The Writer should be doing a Character Agatha Christie didn't kill off, that would be more respectful and would perhaps introduce the world to a less well-known Character, In a way Agatha Christie was clever only putting Battle, Bundle and Tommy and Tuppence and Miss Marple in a few books she left us wanting more, I can't say that about Poirot however much I like him and believe me I do.

I also agree the lady should write a book in a similar style insteadlike James Anderson's Trilogy, when I read them I couldn' help but think of Battle, Spence, Japp and Craddock or the Policeman who gives Tommy and Tuppence cases

• glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    It seems to me that perhaps she wrote this book for the notoriety...in my opinion a true author would create his/her own character(s)....
  • BluemoonNatBluemoonNat Cebu City, Philippines
     I was so enraged when I found out that she would be making another book for what Agatha Christie started, do you know fan fiction, the book that this "Sophie" is writing is just a fanfic- but published and, lets be honest, it'll never be as good as the originals, it won't be as baffling, shocking, or beautiful as Dame Agatha Christies. I might buy this book to see how good it is (though I doubt it won't be that good)
  • BluemoonNatBluemoonNat Cebu City, Philippines
    though I doubt it'll be any good*

• edited May 2014
    I was shocked when I read that another crime writer would write a new Poirot novel! I don't think Agatha Christie would have liked this, Poirot was her creation...No doubt Mrs Hannah, the crime writer, is a good writer but she shouldn't have done this. Agatha herself had enough of Poirot, so why gave they permission to a crime writer to write a new Poirot novel? According to her grandson, Agatha Christie really would have felt honoured by this ! I really have serious doubts!  :-(

• ianthepoetianthepoet Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Quite a few authors that have died have had their imitators, and most of them have failed in my view. I will not buy the hardback, however if I see a secondhand paperback copy in a few years I might try it then.
    Yes I know Sabastian Foulkes has taken on James Bond and Bertie Wooster but I don't think Ian Fleming or Wodehouse killed off Bond or Bertie, That is the thing, If Agatha Christie hadn't killed off Poirot I wouldn't have a Problem at all with the idea but she did so there shouldn't be another Poirot Book.
  • Dr.SheppardDr.Sheppard Oxford, UK
    edited May 2014
    It is the style of writing that will make it acceptable of otherwise. I have been looking at Sophie's work and I'm not sure it for me.
  • Yes I know Sabastian Foulkes has taken on James Bond and Bertie Wooster but I don't think Ian Fleming or Wodehouse killed off Bond or Bertie, That is the thing, If Agatha Christie hadn't killed off Poirot I wouldn't have a Problem at all with the idea but she did so there shouldn't be another Poirot Book.
    Someone took up Bertie Wooster?! What a perfectly revolting idea. And why on earth - Wodehouse, like Christie, was a very prolific writer, his fans ought to be satisfied with the plentiful of marvellous good reading material he gave them. Of course, once an author dies and the copywrite runs out . . . Sometime even beforehand. Tolkien had to write on the US authorized edition of his books: "Those who approve of courtesy (at least) to living authors will purchase it and no other." 
    I read that J.K.Rowling ended the HP books the way she did just so that no-one else would be able to try and write a follow-up of their adventures. 

That is also why Agatha Christie ended the Poirot books the way she did and now look, Rowling Fans (of which I am not one), be afraid, be very afraid