The Monogram Murders - New Poirot Book Title

Comments

• I really enjoyed The Monogram Murders. I have read it three times and discussed it quite a lot at the Agatha Christie Festival, even with visiting authors. I think it is fair to say that the story is not written in the style of Christie, it was never intended to be and Sophie would be the first to admit that, however we have the name of an Agatha Christie character and we are introduced to a case that he solved in 1929, before he died, (or was killed off by Agatha Christie). If you want to read what Poirot was up to when Christie was concentrating on her new character Miss Marple then give it a go. It has twists and turns, some the reader might not find believable, but it's a great little story.

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Do you mean the First Notebooks or the 2nd? I have the 1st and can't remember any explanations of names although Miss Marple was named after a place, I think Ilike the idea of someone not given a rank but who works for Scotland Yard aiding Poirot, It gives the idea that he might be a Clerk like an dEward Woodward Character, Iam afraid that is the only thing about the book that makes me feel favourable towards it.
    Dr Shephard I have just seen your pos, If it wasn't intended to be written in the style of Christie What was the point, she should have Changed Poirot's name or used a different Character. 
  • Reply to Tommy_A_Jones
    The first book written by John Curran was Secret Notebooks and the second was Murder in the Making. In Notebooks there are a number of photocopies of the actual pages of Agatha Christie's notebooks, revealing the coding for character names used by Agatha Christie and as John points out, it gave her the opportunity to change the name to suit other characters that were introduced later in the story. Looking at page 52 of John's book, Christie has called characters A & P then another, Lady P (taken from Notebook 66, these are characters that were used in Sad Cypress).
  • Dr Shephard I have just seen your pos, If it wasn't intended to be written in the style of Christie What was the point, she should have Changed Poirot's name or used a different Character. 
    I think introducing another character, one that Agatha Christie had not written about would not have made the book an Agatha Christie book. This new book has revived an interest in Agatha Christie's work and that means our favourite characters are being talked about (good or bad). I had an email from someone that has seen something I wrote recently and asked me to recommend a book to read as they had not read Christie before. That's got to be good news. The Monogram Murders is No 4 in the Best Sellers list and it will be interesting to see how long it stays there.

A New Character needn't have been used if a Character Agatha Christie didn't kill off had been used, From what I have heard of the Book Parker Pyne could have been chosen or any other Character, The Character could have been a Friend or relative of a Christie Character, Someone on here said if people get into Agatha Christie through this book they will be doing themselves a disservice, you would have helped the person wh emailed you better if you had suggested they go on to the  Literature Map site, the Authors who appear closer to the Author you key in are closer to them.

Dr Shephard I remember the bits in the notebooks you mean I thought you meant it explained why she called the Characters what she did like for instance "I called Hastings Hastings because I had an Uncle whose house I had to clear out when he passed away and he was very interested in the Knights of the Round Table so I called the Character who had the same personality of my Uncle Arthur and the house we were Clearing was in Hastings" That sought of thing, she did something like this with Amyass Crayle (Using the Initials of her 1st Husband) and with Miss Marple's surname but were there other examples?  
  • Reply to: Tommy_A_Jones

Regarding the use of Poirot in The Monogram Murders, you suggest a different Christie character might have been used, with a suggestion of Parker Pyne based on a book you have heard of. Parker Pyne appears in about 14 short stories and normally advertises his services in the morning paper: ‘Are You Happy? If not consult Parker Pyne’. For 35 years he worked in a government office compiling statistics, he does not investigate murders, so not a suitable lead character for The Monogram Murders.

My suggestion of a suitable Christie novel was in response to a request to which one they might read. Using your idea of the Literature Map, entering Agatha Christie links about 50 authors, only two are near the centre and Christie; Dorothy L Sayers and Dick Francis. I am a fan of Sayers, but she is not Christie, as for Dick Francis, his books are based around the horse racing and have a different main character in each book, no comparison to Christie. If you enter DL Sayers in the Literature Map another 50 authors pop up and Christie must be about 25th on the list (so, not like Sayers), entering Dick Francis in the Literature Map, again about 50 authors pop up and Christie is not on the page. I’m not impressed with this method of trying to find authors that I might like. I feel that recommendations from someone that has read a book is far better. 

Reply To Dr Shephard

I know al that about Parker Pyne, In one story he takes a Journey with other Passengers, and with a few more he didn't just get his cases from the Newspaper Article, It is he journey Story which made me think that he would make a good substitute for a story which has a Charcter it shouldn't have.

Among the many books Dick Francis Wrote 4 have the same sleuth, an Ex-Jockey Turned Private Eye so you weren't factually Correct, You are not Impressed by this method of choosing a book, that is fine, that is your Opinion which you are entitled to, I on the other hand are satisfied with this method  

• For the second week running The Sunday Times newspaper has The Monogram Murders in the top 10 best sellers at No 5 having sold 8,560 books.
    That means 8,560 people bought it and some of them probably bought it for relatives, It doesn't mean that 8,560 people liked it.
  • There are a number of people who buy book just to have them on the coffee table when friends come round! However, the purchase of a book is still counted in the statistics.
    Here we should be discussing the Plot, Agatha Christie's approach to writing was always about the plot. Tommy_A_Jones, have you bought the book and read it? 

Here are some views by well known authors that I found when doing my research on The Monogram Murders.

Critical Praise

“Equal parts charming and ingenious, dark and quirky and utterly engaging…I was thrilled to see Poirot in such very, very good hands. Reading The Monogram Murders was like returning to a favourite room of a long-lost home.”

“Sophie Hannah’s The Monogram Murders does Christie proud. Our favourite detective is back and in impeccable form!”

“Hannah, who understands psychological mayhem as well as Ruth Rendell and maybe even Sigmund Freud, is best read with a crisis counsellor on speed-dial. The tight plotting and excruciatingly precise clues make for a superlatively uneasy read.”

Does Sophie Hannah’s Poirot live up to our expectations? Yes, he does, and markedly so... As tricky as anything written by Agatha Christie. The Monogram Murders has a life and freshness of its own. Poirot is still Poirot. Poirot is back.” —Alexander McCall Smith 
    Yes Sales are counted for statistics but what I am saying is it is a hit because alot of people by it but not in the "This Book is a Hit with me sense which is the proper way to prove a Book is Popular and good. I have not read it, I will if I buy a Kindle or get given it but I wouldn't sully myself by paying Bookshop prices for it.
  • Sales of 'The Monogram Murders' continues to do well, but has slipped to No 10 in the best sellers list. Some great books were released last week, with 6 going straight into the top 10, alathough some selling only a few more that Sophie in her second week.
  • When I asked Sophie Hannah about the police rank of Edward Catchpool, the lead police officer in The Monogram Murders, she said she has not given him a specific job title, but would have placed him as an Inspector. My research suggests that an Inspector in the police force in 1929 was an administrator. The rank of a Detective Inspector was an individual that solved crimes and worked within the CID (Criminal Investigation Department); so it would suggest that Edward was a Detective Inspector. The rank of police officers within the Metropolitan Police Force in London has changed very little since its creation in 1829.
    The fact she didn't gie you a definite answer could suggest that she saw £ sigs rather thinking about detail which Agatha Christie did although I admit some details in some books were wrong like the Blow Pipe size in one book and changing Raymond's wife's name and Spence's
  • The London Literary Weekend has a number of events this weekend (Sunday 12th October), but this may be of interest.

Acclaimed thriller-writer Sophie Hannah talks to Stephanie Merritt (novelist SJ Parris) about her passion for Agatha Christie and how she was inspired to make Hercule Poirot her own hero.

'Creatively, it has been the most inspiring challenge' Sophie Hannah

'The plot is as tricky as anything written by Agatha Christie. Nothing is obvious or predictable in this very difficult Sudoku of a novel. The Monogram Murders has a life and freshness of its own. Poirot is still Poirot. Poirot is back.' New York Times

In the hands of internationally best selling author Sophie Hannah, Poirot plunges into a mystery set in 1920s London – a diabolically clever puzzle that can only be solved by the talented Belgian detective and his 'little 
    grey cells'.

I have not read the book but I am reading Halloween Party and Poirot is expecting his friend Solly to discuss The Canning Road Municiple Baths Murder when he Phones saying he is ill and Ariadne first turns up, perhaps He could have met Japp, Battle, Spence, Race or even Hastings or Colin to solve the case, That to me would have been Much better and it would make it a book I would want to read without having to resurrect Poirot and it might have made more fans Happy.

• Stephanie Merritt author of Treachery, is interviewing Sophie Hannah this evening at the Guildford Book Festival. Both writers were at the Agatha Christie International Festival in September. 

The Monogram Murders continues to do well in the Best Sellers list, moving back up the list on Saturday's results. Interesting that other books have fallen off the list or come down from a higher position.
  • The Monogram Murders continues to do well in the Times Best Sellers List , for Saturday 18th October, the book has held its place at No. 9. Three new books appear in the list, so three have fallen off and others have come down in the ranking. Well done Sophie and the marketing team of Agatha Christie Ltd.

Following up on the previous post: S.J. Paris' book Treachery is the book being reviews by ITV's Crime Thriller Club tonight. Stephanie Merritt was one of the best speakers at the Agatha Christie Festival in September.
  • It must be time to examine the characters in the novel, with individuals that have read the story. I really enjoyed the story line, but do have thoughts about whether the team of Poirot and Catchpool could continue as a successful investigative pair. 
  • shanashana Paramaribo, Suriname
    I agree with Dr. Sheppard. I have also read the book and Sophie"s Poirot speaks a lot more French and not only the familiar words and short sentences I have grown acustomed to. I had to look up a lot of new French words. Also Edward Catchpool was very explicit in voicing his dislike of Poirot's methods and manner throughout the story. No other sidekick- character (Hasting, Battle etc) ever voiced their dislikes about Poirot so openly, I think. Furthermore I couldn"t make out what the relevance to the story was of the childhood trauma of Edward about death ?!?.The story is sprinkled abundantly with mismatched couples and pining lovers. It left another flavour alltogether. In the end one gets dizzy with all the alternative versions of what really happened.The cufflinks in the victim's mouth reminded me of the moth left behind in the victims's mouth in Silence of the Lambs.  
  • An excellent summation shana. You have picked up on most of the points that do not sit well with the story. On the point of Edward's childhood, I felt this was there to show that he would be able to understand the problems experienced by Jennie in childhood, but it was not developed, or you could interpret it that Edward was not bright enough to help the investigation.
    I think the idea just was not developed fully, Maybe Sophie had something in her head she didn't manage to work out to it's full extent?!
  • I am reading the book now and I must tell you that I have seldom come across a better simulation of the original author's (in this case Dame Agatha's) writing style by another. Hat's off to Sophie Hannah.
  • To be honest, I like it when a character whom I had loved and grown up with pays a visit in a new story. It's actually quite charming. By the way people, as far as I have read, I think Hannah has brought back "our Poirot".
  • To be honest, I am not looking forward to Catchpoole making a comeback in the next book(if there is one, that is). If you ask me, the best Poirot stories are those in which he does not have an assistant. 
    To be Honest I think it is lazy and disrespectful for somebody to write a book with a Character who was killed of by The Characters Creator, I hope this is a one off and If the writer is asked to write another book with a Christie Character she picks Battle, Narracott or one of the Characters Agatha Christie didn't kill off.
  • The Monogram Murders makes it to: The Observer's Best Thrillers of 2014.

Quote: Sophie Hannah bravely took on Hercule Poirot, in the joyously intricate, immaculately executed The Monogram Murders, pitching Agatha Christie’s Belgian detective into the heart of a horrible crime: three murdered guests at a London hotel, each with a cufflink placed in their mouth.

"bravely" is the one word I agree with in this Observation.