Poirot's Sense of Natural Justice

ArniePerlsteinArniePerlstein United States
edited June 2014 in Hercule Poirot
(if this has been discussed before in this forum, forgive me for raising  it again)

I have the strong sense, based on my admittedly incomplete knowledge of all the many Poirot stories and novels, that Poirot had a decided tendency to covertly favor natural justice, in both the negative sense (refusing to expose those who killed evil persons) and positive sense (taking covert action to punish evildoers who got away with it, legally, like what U.N. Owen does in And Then There Was None)

What other Poirot stories, besides Murder on the Orient Express, The Mystery of Hunter's Lodge, and Curtain, could fit  this larger pattern?

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

I think you mean Agatha Christie had a tendency Natural Justice as And Then There Were None wasn't a Poirtot Book but Mrs McGinty's Dead is another example,

SPOILER ALERT! I can't remember her name but someone goes to Mrs Upward intending on Klling her which means she could be charged with a Crime but Poirot lets her go

• In Death on the Nile, and in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Poirot allows the murderers to take their own way out. [Spoiler] Poirot realized that Jackie would end it the way she did - killing Simon and herself, and he allowed it to happen. And he allows the "good doctor" to commit suicide as long as he writes a confession first, so as to spare his sister's feelings. What mattered to him most were the innocent - as long as they wouldn't be suspected for the crime, the punishing of the guilty (how they were punished) seemed a bit less important.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    And Appointment With Death