Have You Ever Had a Christie Ending Spoiled?

I was so depressed.  I had long put off Crooked House, and I had the ending spoiled for me.  No one's fault but my own.  I was reading an old book by Robert Barnard called A Talent to Deceive.  He warns you in the introduction to avoid two chapters if you don't want any endings spoiled.  I came upon a sentence that talks about two Christie endings (without giving the book titles), but because I had read so much about the shocking ending of Crooked House, I was able to put two and two together.  I read the book this weekend, and because she is so brilliant, I actually found myself still second guessing even though I knew how it would end!

I would give anything to be able to read that book again without knowing the ending.

Luckily, I have managed to avoid spoilers for just about all of her other books ... 

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    My Sister sad to pay close attention to a certain bit in The Mirror Crack'd so that was spoiled for me, when reading Lord Edgware Dies for the 1st time I got so bored I read ahead and spoilt it for myself, but a lot I saw the Adaptation of before reading the book so they were spoiled, There is a passage in Dumb Witness which should come with a SPOILER ALERT warning, you MUST read the book before Death In The Clouds, The Mystery of The Blue Train, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and The Mystery Affair of Styles.  
  • yeah a girl spoiled the ending of the hollow on me and i was really pissed off 
  • YES!

I googled Murder of Rodger Ackroyd and the first link (from sparknotes) spoiled the entire thing.

The moral of the story is never to google a book title.

Also never read the last page of a Christie novel before reading the rest.
  • @humanracer‌ the same thing happened to me while I was reading short summaries for. Top 20 Christie's books can you imagine they were all without spoiling the end except the murder of Roger ackroyed her master piece!!! Which I was planning to read although I have read three chapters of it long time a ago but I was really surprised by the identity of the murderer
  • *spoiler alert* Endless Night
    *spoiler alert*
    Back in High School I was walking into class with my school books and a copy of Endless Night on top of them and a classmate walking in at same time said to me - "don't bother reading that, it's just about a guy who kills his wife".
    Grrrrrr
    The Classmate was right, basically that is it.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Yes, and it was all my fault.  I saw The Mirror Crack'd (the one with Angela Lansburry as Miss Marple, excellent by the way) before reading the book. When I read it, I liked the book, but it isn't the same thing as when you don't know the culprit. Never more. Since this time, I read the book first, then I watch the movie.
  • Yes, and it was all my fault.  I saw The Mirror Crack'd (the one with Angela Lansburry as Miss Marple, excellent by the way) before reading the book. When I read it, I liked the book, but it isn't the same thing as when you don't know the culprit. Never more. Since this time, I read the book first, then I watch the movie.
    Yes, same here. And not only with one book, but about ten, as - Evil Under the Sun, Mysterious Affair at Styles, Death in the Clouds and others... they are all good, but it's not same as I read the book without knowing the culprit. All the time I think - Would I notice this, would I notice that?...
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    edited January 2015
     TeddyB, did you watch all these films before reading the book?!
  •  TeddyB, did you watch all these films before reading the book?!
    Yes. I've watched them years ago, when it was hard for me to find the books. And I am sorry now, because when I read the books I couln't enjoy them as much as they deserved.
    The Mirror Crack'd was the one that was spoiled for me by my sister, I saw The Cinematic Films long before I read the books except perhaps the MR Films but it has never ruined my enjoyment and seeing a Poirot first only spoilt my enjoyment once, but I prefer that Poirot Episode to the Book.
  • edited January 2015
    Yes , I have watched dead man's folly before reading the book and also Lord Edward dies.