Common Denominator in Christie Books

I just thought of a new type of Trivia Game, but it would come with huge SPOILER ALERTS.  Name 2 books (or more) in which AC uses the same clue or same idea.  Example:  What item appears as a clue in both And Then There Were None and Death in the Air?
Or, you could name the item/object/action that she uses, and everyone tries to guess the 2 books.   Is anyone interested?  If so, who can answer my example question?

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

How about this Murder On The Links and Dumb Witness both start because Poirot receives  letters from people 

• Yeah Tommy  - books that have things in common - except you could phrase it like, "Which cases began where Poirot received a letter from the eventual victim?"  
    I have a book about AC's notebooks, and they have all kinds of things like that listed.  
    This would be a SPOILER ALERT question:

In which cases did the killer dress up or impersonate someone else?
  • StathisZavitsanosStathisZavitsanos Attiki, Greece
    @Jennifer  its a big answer 
    SPOILERS!!!
    Lord Edgar Dies
    Murder in Mesopotamia
    And Then Were None
    The man in the Brown Suit 
    The blue train
    Peril at End House
    Murder on the Orient Express 
    Death in the Clouds
    Evil Under the Sun
    Sparking Cyanide
    Taken at the Flood 
    A Murder is Announced 
    After the Funeral 
    Dead Man’s Folly
    Cat Among the Pigeons
    A Caribbean Mystery 
    By the Pricking of My Thumbs 
    Curtain 

• Good job Stathis - yes, definitely a Christie favorite!  For And Then There Were None, were you thinking of the impersonation of a dead body?  

This question is a tricky one, and also a SPOILER ALERT!!

What do the story lines of Appointment with Death and The Hollow have in common with each other?
    Let's start with that...I will give clues tomorrow if no one comes up with a good answer.
  • I can see a similarity between Midge from the Hollow and Raymond from Appointment with Death as both are desperately unhappy with life and find love and an escape from that misery during the course of the murder investigation.

Also I found I had no sympathy for the murder victims in both these. I thought they were emotionally abusive to members of their family.

Jennifer

SPOILERS!!!

I mean the murerer of the nine guests at the Island who impersonates mr Owen
    :)
    Towards Zero's Mary Aldin and The Hollow's Midge remind me of each other, SPOILER although Midge isn't the lady's Companion they seem to have the same sought of personality and Midge could act as a Companion.
  • Hi all - my similarities of The Hollow and Appt. With Death both stem from the loyalty of family.  What did all the Boyntons do in Appt. that the extended family of Gerta (Gerda?)'s do in both mysteries?
    I like anne's idea of unhappiness and finding love too!
    No one answered my first question - both Death in the Air and ATTWN contained a "bee" as a clue!

SPOILER ALERT:
    Here's one with several answers - which novels ended with the suicide of the killer?
    Appointment With Death, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Death On The Nile, Dumb Witness, Peril At End House, Nemesis
    @Jennifer I cannot remember any bee in And Then Were None. 
  • Appointment With Death, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Death On The Nile, Dumb Witness, Peril At End House, Nemesis

Also The Hollow and And Then there Were None", if I remember correctly.

Spoilers

I know in The Hollow the killer tried to kill the person who knew about their guilt and was protecting them, but when that didn't work out didn't they then kill themselves?

SPOILER ALERT When Miss Brent went to make a Meal wasn't she stung by a Bee?
  • Stathis:  Six little soldier boys playing with a hive, A bumble bee stung one and then there were Five.  Chapter 12 - Emily Brent.  Although she wasn't stung, the bee was on the windowpane and Vera had alluded to the bees earlier.  A syringe was used instead of the stinger.
  • How many different titles in the Christie canon contain the word murder?  Count only full-length works.
    edited July 2014
    BIG NOVELS
    Murder on the Links
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
    The Murder at the Vicarage
    Murder at Littlegreen House
    Murder on the Orient Express or Murder in the Calais Coach
    Murder in Mesopotamia
    Murder in Three Acts
    Murder for Christmas or A Holiday for Murder
    Murder Is Easy
    The Patriotic Murders
    Murder in Retrospect
    Murder after Hours
    The ABC Murders or The Alphabet Murders
    A Murder is Announced
    Sleeping Murder
    Murder With Mirrors
    SHORT STORIES
    Murder in the Mews
    Tape-Measure Murder

I personal wouldn't include;

Murder In Three Acts

Murder For Christmas

Murder In Retrospect

Murder After Hours

Murder With Mirrors

As The Books weren't Publishd Originally as those titles in Britain, by the way, which one is Murder After Hours?

Tommy_A_Jones 

"Murder After Hours" is the alternative title for "The Hollow"
    Thank you, what an odd title, A Lesurely Death or Death Of a Doctor would be better.
  • shanashana Paramaribo, Suriname
    Obviously, MURDER is what AC wrote about so it will be a very common word in her titles. Also titles with the words "mystery" and "missing" abound in her work, as does the frequent use of colors. Personally i find the titles sans the obvious words more interesting.
    Looking at the content of her stories: trains, poisons, letters, newspapers, ill-only-in their-head-persons seeking too much attention, retired army types, adopted children are a few common denominators that come to mind.

If you are going to be as exact as That you must also include, Vicars, Doctors, Scotland Yard Detectives, Sinsters, Widows, Double-barrelled names, Army Colonels, Pretty Young Things, Lords and Marquis's, Their Daughters, Characters who read Detective Fiction, Bridge and Golf.

• That's a difficult one

In how many novels of AC do we have the murderer who has altered his identity