Just wondering

Is there a book of AC's that you just couldn't finish?

Comments

• Passenger to Frankfurt. - Hated it, couldn't get past the first couple of chapters. Hearing all the other people on here say how much they didn't like it I'm glad I didn't keep going.

Also, the first time I started At Bertram's Hotel, I was bored and gave up. I went back years later and forced myself to finish it, but still couldn't stand it.

The closest I came with a Poirot novel was The Hollow. 

• shanashana Paramaribo, Suriname
    The Poirot novels are generally not a problem, but it has been difficult sometimes to go through the lenghty nd not always to the point seeming descriptions of persons Miss Marple gives. So I'll used to quickly read over those parts. Only to discover they held important clues to "whosedunnit" later. So i think you can't get out of reading everything, if you want the true taste of AC.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I could only finish 3rd Girl and The Secret of \chimneys on the 2nd go if trying in each case many years later, some I was so glad to finish them, Passenger To Frankfurt is one, Endless Night, Death Comes As The End, Sparkling Cyanide, Murder In Mesopotamia,, Murder On The Links, Peril At End House and The Labours of Hercule are the others and will not be reading them again.
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States

Passenger to Frankfurt. - Hated it, couldn't get past the first couple of chapters. Hearing all the other people on here say how much they didn't like it I'm glad I didn't keep going.

Also, the first time I started At Bertram's Hotel, I was bored and gave up. I went back years later and forced myself to finish it, but still couldn't stand it.

The closest I came with a Poirot novel was The Hollow. 

I feel the sam way about Passenger to Frankfurt....I have tried, I don't know how many times, to read this book....and I just can't....

• glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    Honestly any of the T & T books are very difficult for me to get thru......i am just not a fan....
  • I'm also not a T and T fan.  Couldn't get through The Big Four, At Bertram's Hotel, and The Pale Horse.  Is Parker Pyne, Detective any good?
    I love all the other Poirot's the best, then Marple.
    I prefer PP to Mr Quin
  • honestly when I first started the Moving Finger I couldn't read more than 2 chapters I was stuck in chap 3 because I felt it's so slow if you know what I mean, then I forced myself to read it and finish it which I did and actually I found it pretty good and  I liked it ...
    I liked it better the 2nd time around but I still think it is ruined by having Miss Marple in it at the end
  • Kerr52Kerr52 Victoria, Australia
    mary westmacott's are a struggle but share interesting lights on the author.
  • vazinvazin Shkoder, Albania
    As many others said I couldn't finish Passenger to Frankfurt..

I finished it just to see what the point was but at the end I still couldn't fathom it and won't be reading it again unless perhaps I buy a Kindle, then I will feel as if I haven't wasted too much money.

I would like to ask do you think Agatha Christie Wrote Books round Poems or Shakespearean Lines or did she happen to Write a book and think "That saying/Poem would fit nicely into it" I have just read a Book and the Title comes from a Poem and am wondering if The Poem came first and then the Plot or Visa Versa, I would write to The Novelist but The last 2 times she has called my emails 'Interesting' which I interpret as "Your Emails are boring please Go away" so don't like to bother her ands as Shakespeare and Nursery Rhymes etc were used for Christie's Work I thought I would ask on here what others thought.

• Kerr52Kerr52 Victoria, Australia
    by the fact that AC wrote so many of them i believe she based her stories on them rather than vice versa, and what great starting points they were!
    to conjure up "and then there were none" without the rhyme is difficult to imagine but maybe on occasions it did happen - on the whole i believe she used them as a springboard.
    yours is a valid and i think interesting question and i think an author would/should be willing to discuss.

I finished it just to see what the point was but at the end I still couldn't fathom it and won't be reading it again unless perhaps I buy a Kindle, then I will feel as if I haven't wasted too much money.

I would like to ask do you think Agatha Christie Wrote Books round Poems or Shakespearean Lines or did she happen to Write a book and think "That saying/Poem would fit nicely into it" I have just read a Book and the Title comes from a Poem and am wondering if The Poem came first and then the Plot or Visa Versa, I would write to The Novelist but The last 2 times she has called my emails 'Interesting' which I interpret as "Your Emails are boring please Go away" so don't like to bother her ands as Shakespeare and Nursery Rhymes etc were used for Christie's Work I thought I would ask on here what others thought.

Thank you Kerr 52, when I re-read my post (Sadly after I sent it) I came to the same conclusion as you, I might write to the Novelist again and if she is bored with my question, that is too bad, Than you, you have given me the confidence to ask her.
  • mike1410mike1410 Franklin, New Zealand
    There are no Agatha Christie books/stories that I have not managed to finish, but some (such as Postern of Fate, which to my mind is absolute claptrap and should never have been published) take more of an effort to finish than others.
    I would agree with that sentiment and in relation to that book, which is a shame because it started of beautifully as does By The Pricking of My Thumbs but both books jest go down hill and you end up continuing A) because they have Tommy and Tuppece, B) You want to see if they get better and C) because you don't want to be beaten, but unlike other Christie Books I haven't I will read them again