AGATHA CHRISTIEE: MURDER IN THE MAKING

Has anyone read this book by John Curran?  What are your thoughts?  Personally I found it difficult to read and not what I expected.  Would like to know what you think.

Comments

• Dr.SheppardDr.Sheppard Oxford, UK

I am a friend of Johns and we have known each other a long time, so I hope I do his work justice in what I say.

John had access to the 73 notebooks that Agatha Christie used to record her ideas and develop plot and story lines over 50 years. In Secret Notebooks John reviews 25 novels and a dozen short stories and includes two 'new' Hercule Poirot investigations. Don't expect to read the book like a novel; it is a book that comments on how the plots were developed, supported by extracts from the notebooks. In Murder in the Making John uses a different approach to reviewing Christie's work, taking it decade by decade, he also includes an unknown stage play script and a new version of a Miss Marple story. This is much more readable. If you are an Agatha Christie fan you will enjoy both books, but may find the first hard going to get to the end. As reference books they are ideal to have on your shelf and dip in and out of. The books have been translated into 17 languages which speaks for themselves. 

I hope that helps.