For sheer primitive rage, commend me to a thoroughgoing humanitarian when you get him well roused.

For sheer primitive rage, commend me to a thoroughgoing humanitarian when you get him well roused.

Hi guys. I've been reading The Murder at the Vicarage. Towards the end I came across this phrase I don't understand (English is not my first language and this sentence has a very strange structure to me). I tried searching on the internet and while it seems that this is a popular quote I couldn't find explanation anywhere. So, I would appreciate it if someone could explain this to me. Of the whole book, this is the only thing that I can't wrap my head around. I really appreciate your help.

Comments

• GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    I believe that it means that people who claim to love people are the ones who can get angriest at other people.
  • FrankFrank Queensland, Australia
    biggolf want an example of  sheer primitive rage I would show you someone who believes passionately about the welfare of the human race (a thoroughgoing humanitarian) and then show him where some injustice has been done and then see how angry he becomes. It sound like a contradiction but as an example, people who protest against war (a thoroughgoing humanitarian) have on occasions become very violent (sheer primitive rage) to make their point.