Sparkling Cyanide

HI,

I just finished this book and am puzzled about a few things. Wondering if anyone would like to help me out? My brain is rather slow on the uptake right now due to lack of sleep and certain difficulties, and I'm having trouble picturing a particular point in the story. SPOILERS AHEAD:.........................................................................................................................................................

Okay, I read some reviews of the book before I purchased it and a lot were good, but one in particular said the ending was contrived and hokey. That put me on my guard and I prepared myself for something really implausible or corny, but, it didn't strike me that way actually. I don't see what's so awful about the ending, but maybe I'm missing something, lol. Now, when Anthony, Race, and that other man - the policeman - I forget his name (it was on audio and it's more difficult to look up than searching through a physical book), were drinking their tea and coffee at the table.....what was it exactly that Anthony did with the cups? Am I right in thinking he moved one of the men's pipes so that they would sit down in the wrong seats and therefore get the wrong cups? I had it in my head that there were only 3 chairs, but I guess there were more. But if there were only three cups and they all shifted a chair down....that doesn't make sense....my brain is just not getting this and I feel dumb! At the party, the idea was that the guests all got shifted a chair down, since Iris's purse was moved, is that right?

Another thing, why did Anthony pick up the rosemary at the end and put it against his cheek and kiss it when he wasn't very fond of Rosemary (the girl)? Did she actually commit suicide at the first party, and he felt sympathy for her?

I feel quite dumb, as I say, asking all this, but, hopefully it's just temporary (changing meds, plus the things I mentioned above) and I've just GOT to know! lol Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Ariadne said:
     Now, when Anthony, Race, and that other man - the policeman - I forget his name (it was on audio and it's more difficult to look up than searching through a physical book), were drinking their tea and coffee at the table.....what was it exactly that Anthony did with the cups? Am I right in thinking he moved one of the men's pipes so that they would sit down in the wrong seats and therefore get the wrong cups?

Yes, he changed the place of the pipe in order they shifted their seats. But I was puzzled about this, too. Because, OK, you know where is your seat, I mean, you know if you were sitting against the window, the door, or whatever, so even the pipe is on other place, I hardly believe that they can sit on the wrong seat so easily.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    What you are forgetting is Agatha Christie Wrote in simpler times when people would not say "Hey, I wouldn't fall for that trick" ages ago someone on this site said they tried it out, I can't remember what the results were, I doubt it would really work but It helped the story, I don't know about The Rosemary, but she didn't commit suicide she was killed accidently which is why there was a 2nd Murder, I think that was it, I have only read the book once because I don't like it.
  • Spoiler Alert

She uses the same trick in "Curtain" with the coffee cups.

• HaurianziHaurianzi Jakarta, Indonesia
    ... I don't know about The Rosemary, but she didn't commit suicide she was killed accidently which is why there was a 2nd Murder, I think that was it, I have only read the book once because I don't like it.
    No, Rosemary wasn't killed accidentally. I haven't read Yellow Iris ( The short story Sparkling Cyanide was based on/expanded from), but could you have referred to that one?
  • The way I understood it, in Sparkling Cyanide Rosmary was killed deliberately, in the short story it remains unclear but was probably suicide. 
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    ***SPOILERS***

Yes, in Sparkling Cyanide, Rosemary is deliberately killed, but George is killed by mistake during a failed attempt to kill Iris.  In "Yellow Iris" the death of Iris is deliberately unclear.  It is equally likely to have been suicide or murder, and it's up to the reader to decide which option is preferable, though no conclusive answer is ever given.
  • @GKCfan, you mean the death of Rosmary in the last sentence (Iris survives) but otherwise yes, that was what I understood.