Our Man Hastings

ChristeryChristery Rhode Island, United States
I don't know if it's been discussed before, but if you had to pick just one novel or story to represent the best one in regards to Hastings, which would it be and why?

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    That is a hard Question but I would pick ABC Murders SPOILER! if that is I am right in thinking Poirot put that bit about Fingerprints in for Hastings and not just in the Adaption, he is just like Carbury in Appointment With Death in that respect, the way Poirot says "AH you like that sought of Mystery do you" Both are very Traditional.
  • MichaelHallMichaelHall Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Poirot Investigates (10 Short Stories) - (not finished the last couple yet) but up to now - there is a lot of insight into Hastings - His strengths and is weaknesses - his openness - particularly sharing views about Poirot - an early book in the Poirot sequence and a sense of perhaps a scene setting through Hastings preparing us for the reality of Poirot - Written in the first person - a sense of knowing Hastings 
  • FrankFrank Queensland, Australia
    SPOILER ALERT. It would be either The Mysterious Affair at Styles or The ABC Murders. In both books Hastings plays a prominent role in the resolution of the mystery with an observation that leads Poirot to the guilty party. In The Mysterious Affair at Styles he does so by mentioning that Poirot had to straighten some spill holders and ornaments which prompts Poirot to realise that someone had moved them causing Poirot to discover a crucial piece of evidence. In The ABC Murders Hastings suggests that the error in recipient address of a letter by the murder was deliberate, thus causing Poirot to realise the murderer had attached greater importance to that particular murder.
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    Hmm, good examples given so far, however I have to vote for Curtain.  If nothing else, Hastings and Poirot are reunited, and Poirot gives Hastings a chance to solve the crime.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Yes, There is That, but Curtain is such a sad, Dark Book and Hastings is a very Cheerful and Optomistic person, a Mature Bobby Jones or Tommy Beresford really.