Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple should meet.

2»

Comments

• Is this an Agatha Christie style novel that you are writing Daniel P?
  • DanielP1935DanielP1935 United Kingdom

It's not a novel it's more a screenplay for a TV film like what ITV had with Agatha Christie's Poirot and Miss Marple.

• That's cool. So you've written a new original drama?
    yes but I'm still not done with it yet but I'm planning it be a one off where the two meet and solve and mystery together.  
  • That's good. I imagine he would be sitting in an arm chair doing the grey cell business, and she could be pretending to be visiting a friend in the key village in question, and finding out lots of gossip to bring back to him. I imagine that she would see him as a detective. She would not see them as equals ( although, we the readers do see them as on a parallel. ) She would be a bit hesitant at times, as though she thought he might laugh at the homely nature of her methods. Has either of them ever met a person like the other one in any novel? Has either of them ever met someone like them and praised them, and recognised their genius? If I did it like you are doing, I might have a twenty year old Poirot - new to the force - meeting Miss Marple, and being given confidence by her encouragement. I'd have to mix up the chronology then.
  • AnubisAnubis Ontario, Canada
    In The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Caroline is very similar in character to Miss Marple.
  • Yes, she's observant, and thinks she knows about human nature. She is used as a sop SPOIlER ALERT by Poirot to gain information. I don't think Miss Marple would have blithely spilled the beans without asking a few awkward questions back, and revealing some inconsistencies in his family fabrications.
  • She did gossip with other ladies of the village, and this is like Miss Marple. I'm wondering now if Caroline gave AC the idea for MM. Was she an early prototype of the village gossip, with the Victorian disapproval, and belief in the worst of human nature? I think you have hit upon something here, Anubis.
    Thank you, Griselda, but I cannot claim credit for the idea. I read an article in which someone else made the connection, but I am embarrassed to say that I cannot remember who it was. As you say, they are not identical, but there is another similarity: their physical appearance. Both are tall and thin, with glasses.
  • There is the sense of an uninteresting life, and an unconscious desire to experience excitement through showing a vicarious interest in the behaviour of others. In Victorian times, it was the role of the older generation to dispense advice and disapproval, so Caroline and her cronies probably thought they were doing their duty by commenting on everybody else's business, as their mothers would have done just this.
    For a different perspective on the Victorians, you might enjoy reading "Inventing the Victorians" by Matthew Sweet. I'm not so sure they were always that disapproving. :)
  • Thank you - I will look for that work
  • here is the quote from her autobiography: "Hercule Poirot, the complete egoist, would not like being taught his business by an elderly spinster lady. He was a professional sleuth, he would not be at home at all in Miss Marple’s world. No, they are both stars, and they are stars in their own right."
    I have read that quote but I'm sure a lot of Agatha Christie fans would like to see a story with Poirot and Miss Marple in it.
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    I would have been a fan of them meeting in at least one story. They don't have to necessarily team up, but one consulting the other would be great.  

Has anyone seen the murder mystery spoof movie, 'Murder by Death?'  The movie features spoofs of Poirot and Marple (Perrier and Marbles). May be the closest we get to the two interacting.
  • Well, we know that they all live in the same "universe", so to speak, and so why not chance an encounter?  Readers who criticize The Pale Horse may at least give it credit for placing them within meeting distance.  @taliavishay-arbel has already mentioned this link, but I would only say that their meeting of the minds would upstage any brilliant mystery that might be presented.  Agatha Christie was careful to keep the detectives on the sidelines, with the exception of the Beresfords.
  • I'm not sure, but I think that, were they to meet, Miss Marple might be eclipsed by Hercule Poirot. I always have liked her the best, but upon re-reading, I feel that Poirot has greater depths. His methods are more systematic, and directed on many fronts. That said, I think that both of them work backwards from an intuitive understanding of who is being suspicious. I think they guess who is the killer straight away, and see what they can find to justify their initial suspicion.
  • aggierocksaggierocks Ipswich uk
    This lends itself to a question I sent to David suchet but got no answer:  in his book Poirot and me he is quite QUITE detailed about everything he ever did as Poirot. However there is no mention of his meeting - in costume- with Joan hickson in 1990 to celebrate ACs 100th birthday. I've seen the photos. Why on earth would he leave this out??  It must have been a great moment and made a great picture.  I would have loved his insider info on it. 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I think Miss Marple would let Poirot eclipse her and by doing so eclipse him, Did you enclose a Stamped Addressed Envelope? If you do that Celebrities are honour bound to reply, only once when doing so have I not had a reply.
  • Good Idea! AC herself, though, when asked to write such a book, said that she would not, since MM and HP would not get on at all together. MM as a typical old woman was prejudiced against foreigners. HP on his part would not MM's hap-hazard ways of solving the crime, and often a chance remark leading to her solving it.
    Good Idea! AC herself, though, when asked to write such a book, said that she would not, since MM and HP would not get on at all together. MM as a typical old woman was prejudiced against foreigners. HP on his part would not MM's hap-hazard ways of solving the crime, and often a chance remark leading to her solving it.
    This is quite possible, although Poirot was smart enough to consult who ever he needed to to help solve a crime.  If Marple had some insight about a crime, I could see Poirot approaching her for it.
  • You have a point, Luke. in "The body in the Library", Clithering suggests consulting with MM, and Inspector Harper goes along with it. So maybe Poirot would have been able to appreciate MM. However, it is not only the question of how they would get along - but also in what kind of situation would they meet, since they move in such different circles. Also, is there room in one book for two "stars"? AC thought not. Actually, some more modern writers have successfully introduced two "star" investigators, and AC herself did it with Tommy and Tuppence, so perhaps... I still think the biggest stumbling block would be creating an environment where they could both function. 
    With all of these superhero ensemble movies coming out, like the Avengers, it would be funny to think of a Christie ensemble book or movie;  Poirot, Marple, Tommy and Tuppence, Harley Quin vs. a team of evil wrongdoers! 
    Thank you to everyone who is commenting about it. I'm still in the middle of re-writing the story. I hope you all enjoy reading the story when it's finished.