The ABC Murders

SeaSnapSeaSnap Cornwall, United Kingdom
Post your thoughts on 'The ABC Murders' here.

Comments

• edited September 2013
    I actually saw the adaptation before I read the story. I had already caught the end of the episode, so I didn't have that huge shock at the end. But it would have been a shock...the book manages to deceive the reader very artfully.

I think that this case was a personal one for Poirot. After all, his detection skills were being insulted. There isn't anything I don't like about the novel. 

I enjoy Hastings narration, but then I fall into the Hastings fan club category. : D

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

It is one book I have read 6 times, I love it, It is one of the Episodes I have, I also have it on Audio Cassette and I am also in Hastings fan club Category, Murder in Mesopotamia would have been good with him

It is one of my favourites and one of the first I ever read, and the First Poirot Adaptation I bought, I have read it 6 times and watch it afterwards each time and the Changes are not harmful, the Acting is brilliant especially from the Actor who plays ABC
  • The stories it takes its cue from are also worth reading:  G. K. Chesterton's "The Sign of the Broken Sword" (found in "The Innocence of Father Brown") and Anthony Berkeley's "The Silk Stocking Murders" - but "The ABC Murders" is easily the best to use the plot device, and incorporating the initials of Anthony Berkeley [Cox] makes for a nice acknowledgement, if it was intended.  I also think it's one of the more successful of Christie's uses of varied narrators.

The Suchet adaptation is for me the best episode of what became a very patchy series in the second half of its run.  It would have made an excellent big screen adventure for David Suchet's Poirot with very little in the way of tweaking - the production values were top notch and Donald Sumpter's (an actor who I think has never got his due) portrayal of A.B.C. was perfection.

I agree with everything you say about the Adaptation.
  • To be honest, I didn't enjoy this book that much compared to the rest of Christie's novels that I've read so far. I wouldn't place it amongst the best - not sure exactly why, but for some reason it didn't appeal to me as much.
  • SeaSnapSeaSnap Cornwall, United Kingdom
    I loved this book and the adaptation! They are brilliant.
    What didn't you like about it, Lachy?
  • Like I said above Tommy, I'm not really sure, something about the way the plot progressed seemed kind of predictable - not that I guessed what would happen. I'm not saying it was a bad book - by no means - but it seemed to me somewhat overrated.
    How was it predictable if you didn't guess what would happen? :-?
  • The Adaptation- SPOILERS!!!   I love the adaptation, the scene at the racecourse is excellent. But if there's one fault, it's the casting of the murderer. They don't fit the description AC gave, they seemed the wrong age and not the flirtatious, adventurer she described.  

Most Adaptations have 1 flaw.
  • In an adaptation the most important characters are the detective and the murderer. I love Suchet's performance as Poirot, but the murderer was all wrong.

Does anyone else think the murderer was miscast, if so please give spoiler warnings!
    I didn't say he wasn't just that to me that is the only bad thing about the Adaptation

Most things are an anti-climax when you arrive at them, like Murder On The Orient Express,

And And Then There Were None.

Yes, that's what's wrong MissQuin! I couldn't put my finger on it!

• Christopher_WrenChristopher_Wren Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
    Yes, I think the murderer was very miscast. Especially, because of the way, the second victim died.
    edited November 2013
    I don't really see the murderer seducing victim 'B'.
    It is my favourite adaptation

It was my FIRST adaption, and loved it and the book!

• LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria
    It is currently in my personal Top 3 of Agatha Christie's favourite books of mine. :) I would recommend it to anyone for a starting point if they want to get into Christie's world of crime. Maybe I like it because of that - if I have read it now for the first time, after having read many other novels, I think I might like it less.
  • I love the Art Deco building used as the cafe'. I always forget where it's located, anyone know?
  • i'm crazy to read this book,when i found i'll do it  :)>-
    I have a Question If The Murderer hadn't been Caught and had carried on Killing where would his X Victim Be and what would their name be?
  • Probably, he would become an international murderer. He would have to look for his victims away from UK.
    If that is the case what place begins with X?
  • Yes, there is a few in Brazil. As I said, he would travel a lot.
  • Christopher_WrenChristopher_Wren Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
    There's Xanten in Germany. So he wouldn't have to leave Europe. ;-)
  • And he would kill by train anyway.