Serialisation of 'Roger Ackroyd'

I'm trying to find out about 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' as I'm writing about it for my dissertation, and I see on Wikipedia (I know, I know...) that it was originally presented in serial form. From the entry: "The novel received its first true publication as a fifty-four part serialisation in the London Evening News from Thursday, 16 July, to Wednesday, 16 September 1925, under the title, Who Killed Ackroyd? Like that paper's serialisation of The Man in the Brown Suit, there were minor amendments to the text, mostly to make sense of the openings of an instalment (e.g., changing "He then..." to "Poirot then..."). The main change was in the chapter division: the published book has twenty-seven chapters whereas the serialisation has only twenty-four. Chapter Seven of the serialisation is named The Secrets of the Study whereas in the book it is Chapter Eight and named Inspector Raglan is Confident."

I've tried various online resources to try and find a copy of the paper, but there doesn't seem to be one (the London Evening News, was taken over & went out of print). Can anyone confirm if it *was* serialised originally, and if so - is it possible to see a copy anywhere? Or am I the victim of a Wikipedia hoax?!  -Thanks!

Comments

• FrankFrank Queensland, Australia
    There is no mention in Agatha Christies Autobiography of a serial form of "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" nor any mention of The London Evening News or any mention of "Who Killed Ackroyd". That is not to say it is not true but is strange that it is not refered to in her autobiography. "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" was Christies first book for Collins and her most successful to that point of time and was later adapted into the play"Alibi"
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    Many mystery novels were cut up into short pieces (about a quarter to a half-page of newsprint), and serialized in newspapers in the early 20th century, so it's completely believable that Ackroyd was abridged and serialized.  I did a little searching, and found that the London Evening News was microfilmed.  I suggest that you contact some libraries in the London area and ask if they have the microfilms of the LEN from the time you're looking for.  I don't know where you live, but if you are in England you may be able to view the paper on microfilm.  If you live elsewhere, you may or may not be able to get interlibrary loan– you will have to inquire.  Good luck!