A Underestimated Detective?

2»

Comments

• MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    I think if Ariadne had been investigating a murder alone,then she would more that likely been bumped off by now!!
    She (In her own lovable way) reminds me of an old movie called"I Saw What You Did Last Summer" where some kids pick random numbers from a phone book and make accusations to the receiver of the call.
    I think she would randomly name a suspect and occasionally "Hit Home" which would be very dangerous to a murderer should anyone take her seriously......... I love every story that she has appeared in.....
  • Yes, Ariadne is in the book The Pale Horse - not only is she in it, she supplies the vital clue to the method of murder! As to the unbelievableness of the supernatural, I think at the time it was definitely believable - on the one hand, things like seances. ouja boards, mediums etc. were very popular, on the other hand "modern" science was pretty much new and deified, so that the combination might well bring a belief in science being able to harness the "older" forces. other detective writers of the period have also used supernatural beliefs - e.g. Patricia Wentworth (in Latter End) and Margery Allingham (several short stories).
  • MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    The Pale Horse was to be my next read,but I've put it on hold whilst I read The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence)as the BBC are about to show an new adaptation any time now in the U.K.
    however i am really looking forward to The Pale Horse....
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I think if Ariadne had tried to solve a Murder it wouldn't be too long before she attatched herself to someone even if it was her Sleuth, she would need someone to bounce Ideas off of and take Charge, she might even look up Rhoda Daws or maybe even Colonel Race, Supt Battle or Spence. 
  • That is a good idea about her looking up those other characters and working with them. It would make for good viewing if done for tv, especially if with Zoe Wanamaker. She would of course get more confidences and insights from female characters than Poirot could, I think.