Re-Reading Books

Does anyone else re-read their Agatha Christie (or any other) books? I've read my favorite ones probably a dozen times.  I've read ALL of Christie's books and short stories.  It's amazing how many other details I find the second or third time through, indeed, sometimes the fifth or sixth time.  One of the reasons I think I re-read is the atmosphere it recreates in my mind.  I have romanticized the early 20th century in England thanks to Dame Agatha.  I find it quite comforting and I read every night before bed, without fail.

I mentioned to my sister I re-read my books and she seemed surprised. I didn't know it wasn't a common thing.  My grandmother used to re-read her books.  

I was just curious if I am alone here?

Comments

• You are not alone here.  Lots of people re-read books. Each time you re-read, not only do you pick up different details, you bring more life experience to the reading. Thus, a reader can interpret the story differently each time they read it, depending on what has changed, or been experienced in their own life, in between readings.  

I love Agatha Christie first and foremost for the atmosphere she creates in the settings of her stories; I read them more for this than for the mystery.

So it makes sense to me to re-read them any time I want to re-enter one of her created worlds.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I re-read Most of Agatha Christie's books, each time I start again as it were \i leave out ones I have decided to read no more and this time I have decided to give Murder On The Links another try after comments on this site and The Big Four as de to a game on the site I realised I had forgotten an aspect which makes something else less pointless, this time I decided no more Murder On The Orient Express, The Mysatery Of The Blue Train, Three-Act Tragedy. Destination Unknown or They Came To Baghdad. I have already stopped reading Peril AT End House, Murder In Mesopotamia, Endless Night, Death Comes As The End, Endless Night and Sparkling Cyanide and have no wish to put them back on my Reading List, I had stopped reading The Labours of Hercules but now I am reading one after every Poirot Novel which makes them far more enjoyable.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I re-read almost all Agatha Christie books! I'm re-reading Sparkling Cyanide right now! I think the only one I wouldn't do that is Passenger to Frankfurt!
    It's always a pleasure to re-read her books. I usually like more a book when I read it for the second, thinrd time!
  • TeddyBgTeddyBg Bulgaria
    Last year I re-read all my Agatha's collection, even "Passenger to Frankfurt". I was pleasantly surprise to discover that some of the books that I didn't like the first time, now I adore them, like "Man in the brown suit" (which is in my top 10), "Carribian Mystery" and "The Big Four" . The Murder on the Links (which is my first read book and my fav.) - have read it 10 times.
    Yes, TeddyBg. I agree. I think re-reading her books it's a great opportunity to enjoy a book  you didn't like for the first time. But I'm not in the mood to re-read Passenger to Frankfurt (ever).
  • shanashana Paramaribo, Suriname
    Judging by your opinions "Passenger to Frankfurt" is certainly not a favourite. The storyline does come across as a jumbled up heap of everything bad AC saw in the "modern times" she wrote it in (her 80th story?!?) . Maybe that;s how jumbled up it was inside her head at that age.

The use of Hitler's Hookcross, incorrectly named, as a "swastika" in the story is something that upset me. A swastika is a positve symbol  and drawn diffrently than the Nazi Hookcross. Also, the open ending left an unsatisfied feeling.
     But coming back to the actual point of this discussion, re-reading is the most natural thing to do if you really like the work of an author. Ofcourse, it's more probable you'll choose your favourite stories to re-read.

I didn't realise there was a storyline or Plot To Passenger To Frankfurt, I can give a Thumbnail Sketch of all The Books apart from that one.

You might not necessarily choose a |Favourite to Read again you might also choose one where you want to make sure you dislike it, that is why I re-read TMORA and LED and I like hem now or you might decide to re-read abook because of Opinnions on a site like this one.
  • shanashana Paramaribo, Suriname
    So Tommy is going to try "PTF" again? :-??
    NO WAY JOSE!!!
    That seemed more polite than saying Not Ruddy Likely.
  • Actually I reread my books but when it comes to mystery books I am not into rereading them because you already know the solution except for COTT( my first AC) and three blind mice and other stories which I keep rereading ..and not like others I enjoy reading AC book for the first time more than the second ones .. pretty different huh?
    Knowing the Outcome has never annoyece.d me after all, I have seen Death On The Nile, Evil Under The Sun and The Mirror Crack'd lots of times so why not read a Whodunnit more than once?
  • AnubisAnubis Ontario, Canada
    Normally, I don't read mysteries again either maryambulushi, because as you say, I already know who did it. But I like to read AC's mysteries a second time because then I gain a better appreciation of the actions the culprit is taking to avoid detection. Also, remarks that appear innocent on first reading can take on a sinister significance the second time. 
    It has been said that author / illustrator Edward Gorey (among other things, he drew the illustrations for the American PBS TV series "Mystery") read each one of AC's mysteries at least five times. 
    I love re-read A.C's books. Usually, it takes a long time before my last reading to re-read a book, so sometimes I don't remember exactly how the murder was commmited nor the plot details.
    Besides, for me, it's a pleasure to read A. C.'s books and I don't care if I know the culprit.It's the plot, the story that counts!
  • I'm a great re-reader, but more especially I agree that reading the same book at a different period in my life is a completely different experience. E.G.reading about the dominant monster-mother in appointment with death - at first reading her children/stepchildren seemed somewhat whimpey, but rereading it after realizing certain similar influences in my own life and those of close family members and friends, I'm more open to accepting that that kind of total psychological domination is indeed possible, and happens even today.
  • Yeah @taliavishay-arbel we still see such a cases around the world even in the same extended family,but the kids are wimpy each time you read that book you'll feel that but still it was a really devilish thing from them to plan for killing her