The origine of the name Hercule Poirot

Good morning everyone,

I'm wondering what is the source of the name Hercule Poirot since a bit.

His name,it's evident, I think it matches with Herlcule in the old grec
mythology. (But in the physical plan,the detective and the grec hero have
nothing similar !)

But how about his familly name ?
 Reading wikipedia did not give me the clear answer,

How do you think about this point ?

Comments

• GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    It's not clear exactly how Agatha Christie came up with Poirot's name.  You say that you read Wikipedia, so you saw the one theory that the other fictional detectives "Hercule Popeau" and M. Poiret" were inspirations, though some researchers aren't so sure about this.  Christie met some Belgian refugees during WWI, so she might have come across the name then.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

I have a Book called Agatha Christie in 4 Acts and it mentions Hercule Popeau as the reason, Agatha Christie obviously had an interest in Greek Mythology so that would explain why his surname is Hercule and not Peter or Albert or Sherlock or the same fist name as any other Fictional Detective, I assume Hercule is a Belgian Name and there were Belgian Refugees during WW1

I would like to know why Arthur For Hastings, Tommy is undederstandable as he was a Soldier and they were called Tommy's and Tuppence is Prudent but I would love to know why a lot of the other names.
  • edited July 2015
    AC pokes a little fun at Hercule in "The Labours of Hercule": 

"Thinking of an imaginary conversation. Your mother and the late Mrs Holmes, sitting sewing little garments or knitting: 'Achille, Hercule, Sherlock, Mycroft...'"

Poirot failed to share his friend's amusement. 

"What I understand you to mean is, that in physical appearance I do not resemble a Hercules?" 

Dr Burton's eyes swept over Hercule Poirot, over his small neat person attired in striped trousers, correct black jacket and natty bow tie, swept up from his patent leather shoes to his egg-shaped head and the immense moustache that adorned his upper lip. 

"Frankly, Poirot," said Dr. Burton, "you don't!"

I am reading a Labour after every Novel with a Male sleuth I read, I read the one with the Stables yesterday, haven't got it with me and can't remember the Title
  • The Augean Stables?
  • FrankFrank Queensland, Australia
    In Agatha Christie - An Autobiography, Agatha Christie writes of the origin of the name Hercule Poirot:
    "How about calling my little man Hercules. He would be a small man - Hercules: a good name. His last name was more difficult. I don't know why I settled on the name Poirot, whether it just came into my head or whether I saw it in some newspaper or written on something - anyway it came. It went well not with Hercules but Hercule - Hercule Poirot." 
    Yes Thank you Tali, Thank you Frank, I had forgotten that bit.