Evil under the sun cover

I have been racking my brains over what on earth is on the front cover of the first edition of evil under the sun, I can see a beach, rocks in the sea, but i cannot work out what is to the right of the cover. please can someone explain, I would be extremely greatful 

Comments

• AnubisAnubis Ontario, Canada
    I don't know for sure: driftwood? HP's epergne?
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    If you mean The Fntana it is a skull on a Gold Background, the Skull is wood covered, I had a few Fontana's and this one sticks in my head,
  • MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    Just looked at it and yes (Anubis)maybe driftwood,though it appears to be sitting upright in the water.
    Don't think Hercule would have approved of it's uniformed shape as a decorative ornament ha !

Tommy.it's a Harper Collins(Collins Crime Club) edition.
    P.S. Meant un-uniformed shape !!!
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

Oh Yes, Thankyou Marc.

• Thanks, what a confusing cover, but maybe its for everyone to use their detective skills
    I wonder whether or not she liked it ?I recently read that she was not happy at all with the cover of Sad Cypress and wrote to Harper Collins to tell them so.
    "Common" was one word used !!!
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    Is this the cover you're referring to?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Evil_Under_the_Sun_First_Edition_Cover_1941.jpg

I can't tell what it is, either.  A bush or a weird piece of driftwood?
    Also,on the spine of the book cover,there is something that looks like a block of ice ??? Or a large lump of sugar ??
  • @GKCfan yes thats the one