5.           AFTER THE FUNERAL

Comments

• My Best five are:

1. Murder of Roger Ackroyd
    2. Five little pigs
    3. Mysterious affairs at Styles
    4. Appointment with death
    5. Murder in Mesapotemia
  • My best five at the moment are: Murder at the Vicarage Death on the Nile (the most writerly novel in my opinion) The Moving Finger The Murder of Roger Ackroyd Evil Under the Sun I don't like the later ones such as Postern of Fate, Elephants Never Forget and Third Girl, and I think the concept,of The Pale Horse is just silly. I find Five Little Pigs just too sad - about Caroline - and I can't get on with the spy ones. The most underrated one, in my opinion, is Three Act Tragedy. People don't seems to like it - I think because of its dragged out structure - it needed some changes, but good characterisation.
  • My best five: Death comes as the end. I liked the heroine's combination of independence and empathy. and the psychological insight that if people don't develop they deteriorate... 
    Murder in Mesopotamia. Again I felt comfortable with the sympathetic narrator. And I'm sure I'm not the only one to have met and been frustrated by a "Louise" character, and feel some teeny weeny sense of gloating that she got her come-uppance! Also, for a similar reason, "Appointment with death" - I've had two "Mrs. Boynton"s in my life (not my mother, thank G-d!), and while I never wished for their death, I could certainly sympathize with her children's feeling of being trapped and unable to escape. (Not to worry - I got out from under them both!). Also "Ordeal by Innocence" - again, I have personal and historical experiences with mothers who always know best, and I thought the frustration of the children, trying to be themselves, but not knowing what "themselves" was, because they had never been allowed to experiment and fail, was very sensitively portrayed. And "4.50 from Paddington" - I love Lucy!
  • Murder of Roger Ackroyd is a classic murder mystery, where the murderer, Dr. Shepherd maintains a diary detailing the events, except of course his murder related activities. It needed the genius of Poirot to work out the missing details. The telephone call to the doctor and the time difference are two clues that interested the detective.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    One time I think Agatha Christie slips up is when Shepherd says something like "I kater discovered" but if the Journal is being written as he goes along with "Helping Poirot" with The Investigation he wouldn't later discover (Or whatever the wording is) Anyway It doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the Book so it can't really matter.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I would say: Evil under the sun, I love the plot, the way Poirot put all the clues together and finds out the murderer. Besides, it was my first A.C. and my father also read it and we discussed a lot about this book. This book brings me so many memories... definitely the first.
    The murder of Roger Ackroyd. It's superbe. When I first read it, I was shocked!
    And Then There were none. Although Evil under the sun is my favorite one, I think ATTWN is the best AC!
    Cards on the table. Another masterpiece! I love this book so much. I think only A.C could  image such plot!  Four suspects in a room. And what would seem impossible happens!
    4.50 from Paddington/ The moving finger/ A Murder is Announced- so difficult to pick one!