'The Murder on the Links'

SeaSnapSeaSnap Cornwall, United Kingdom
Post your thoughts on Poirot's second novel here. Anything, from the characters to adaptations, is accepted, as long as it is to do with the novel in question!

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I have read it once I admit I have a problem with books set abroad sometimes and this is a case in point, I preferred the Adaptation more than the book, I am glad Hastings is in it but due to one thing which I can't mention because of Spoilers which isn't the books fault it isn't one of my favourites and won't be reading it again sorry  
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    I am probably in the minority here, however I have always felt that 'Links' is one of Agatha's most underrated novels.  When I read it, I find it flows well and it has really good level of suspense.  Would be great to hear from any others who like this story or think it is underrated.
  • I enjoyed reading the book and strangely I enjoyed it even more when I read it for the 2nd time. I

SPOILERS!!  I know on the old AC forum, some people found the Bella /Dulcie story confusing.  I was ok when reading it. The confusion came after I read the story and read The Big four, when Poirot refers to Hastings being with Bella! I didn't read the Poirot stories in order, I read them as I could find them. But I think readers would have got a  shock that the very English, traditional, slightly old fashioned Hastings could marry a modern flapper girl. 

The adaptation- It's been some years since I saw it, so I'm a little hazy. But I remember. They added a story which I felt added something, Monsieur Giraud disbelieves that Poirot will solve the case. If Poirot doesn't solve it, he will have to shave off his beloved mustache! It made the rivalry between Giraud and Poirot more tense. 
    What's confusing about the adaptation is that Hastings married Bella! In the book he married Dulcie, but she wasn't in the adaptation. Bella was a much quieter character, less like a Clara Bow type. I felt this was a shame, even if the idea of Hastings marrying an acrobat suspends some belief. But apart from that I quite liked  the adapt.

Agathasmykid and Miss Quin your posts make me think perhaps I should give the book another chance but as  am re-reading them in order (missing out ones I really don't like and have recently finished After \The Funeral, I have a long time to think about it.
  • SeaSnapSeaSnap Cornwall, United Kingdom

Tommy_A_Jones, give this book another chance. It's really good.

I think I will when I next come to it.
  • I am probably in the minority here, however I have always felt that 'Links' is one of Agatha's most underrated novels.  When I read it, I find it flows well and it has really good level of suspense.  Would be great to hear from any others who like this story or think it is underrated.
    Yes, I am totally agree with you. If a person can be in love with a book, I am in love with this one. I love every single page, there isn't anything redundant. And Hastings's on it. I wish he appeared in more books.
    And because of this love, I am totally disappointed with the movie adaptation. So many divergences.
    I think Hastings is the only good thing about this book apart from Poirot of course, I find it dull, I am sorry Agatha Christie Married Hastings off, I think it was a silly thing to do considering that apart from on appearance I think (Because I missed it) in The Big Four his wife never appears again, I just cannot get on with Books set in France and I just found this book long Drawn out and boring, You have to be interested in the Characters and apart from Poiro and Hastings I couldn't care one jot for any of them.
  • roamingrover86roamingrover86 United Kingdom
    edited March 2016
    IMHO, this is one of the most under-rated book of Christie's . We all talk about her brilliant work in ABC Murders, And Then There were None etc etc but Murder on the links is a proper book it moves along at a nice pace uncomplicated yet mysteriously unknown. The characters are limited & plot well thought of. Granted, you could make a guess & perhaps the murderer is more on the expected lines than in most cases. But I found this book refreshingly simple re-reading it after many years.

GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Brilliant!  You found the sixth little soldier boy!

Past movie adaptations have made many changes to the characters.  For example, the 1945 version of And Then There Were None changed Anthony Marston into Prince Nikita Starloff, a “professional guest” who makes a living being amusing at parties.  In the three later English-language movies, Emily Brent, the prim, religious spinster, was turned into a glamorous movie actress who was implicated in the death of her husband (in the African Safari-set version, her victim was her lesbian lover!).  In the mountain chalet version her name became Ilona Bergen, in the Iranian desert version the character’s name was changed to Ilona Morgan, and on the African safari she became Marion Marshall.  Indeed, most of the characters’ names have been changed in at least one of the adaptations.  The current miniseries is one of the few to use all of the original names. 

The manners of death were changed as well.  In the mountaintop chalet version, one character died when the cable car down the mountain crashed.  At the Iranian desert, one was strangled against a pillar instead of being poisoned, and on the African safari “a big bear hugged one” meant being stabbed with a knife that had also impaled a teddy bear.

And yes, there’s a word on the statuette.  “Issac.”  Interesting!

• edited November 2014
    I quite enjoyed this book. I really appreciate Poirot, and the humour AC brings in this book, I often found myself laughing... I enjoyed the adaptation as a stand alone, but compared to the book I was quite dissappointed with the simplification of the Dulcie/Bella thing, also  the fact that relationships are a bit different in the adaptation I found changed the tone and pacing of the story quite a bit. As well I wish they included the 500 pound bet, and the fox statue named Giraud at the end.
    I have definitely put it back on my reading list, I found it complicated perhaps I won't next time.
    I finished Reading Murder On The Links this week I found it just as confusing this time round and won't be reading it again.