A new Poirot

What do you think of Kenneth Branagh as Poirot in a new Agatha Christie adaptation of Murder on the Oriënt Express? I think he'll be wonderful as Poirot, his eyes twinkle!

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

Is this just you suggesting it or is this Travesty going to Happen? He could play The Doctor or Bouc but not Poirot , No, No way, No, No, No, No No 36 Times No

• luismkluismk Bariloche,Rio Negro, Argentina
    Me parece interesante.... Siempre es bueno ver una nueva interpretación!!!
  • edited November 2015
    @Tommy_A_Jones :  it's going to happen!! He will also be the director!

• The director will play detective Hercule Poirot.

Kenneth Branagh will do double duty on Fox’s new adaptation of Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. The studio today that it’s official: Branaugh will direct the feature. TCF president Emma Watts also made the surprise announcement that Branaugh will step in front of the camera as well in the role of detective Hercule Poirot.

Poirot, the fastidious Belgian detective, is one of Christie's most enduring characters, appearing in 33 of her novels, which lends the new film franchise potential. Poirot was played by Albert Finney, who was nominated for a best actor Oscar, in the 1974 film version of Orient Express. David Suchet played the character on British TV for more than 20 years. In Orient Express, Poirot is called upon to solve a murder aboard the famous train.

Ridley Scott, Simon Kinberg, Mark Gordon and Branagh will produce the film, along with Michael Schaefer and Aditya Sood. Michael Green (Blade Runner 2) is writing the screenplay. Steve Asbell is overseeing the production for Fox.

Branagh, repped by WME and Berwick & Kovacik, last appeared on screen in 2014's Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit and last directed this year's Cinderella.

• Well, the first Murder on the Orient Express was amazing. I don't know if this one will be good or bad. But it will be hard to watch someone different than Suchet playing Poirot.
    What a Horrendous Idea.
  • Branagh has big shoes to fill, especilly as Suchet is Poirot to many, will be able to judge better when i see him character 
  • Cynthia V.AndersonCynthia V.Anderson Missouri, USA
    edited December 2015
    I trust anything Kenneth Branagh would direct or act in. Since he is a brilliant method actor, he would do the role justice!

• Pat_septemberPat_september Gauteng, South Africa
    I'll have to see it to... decide :) But he's a wonderful actor!
    No-one should trust anyone just because MOST of what they do is Brilliant, I used to think I did with June Whitfield but I hate Ab Fab, I used to think so with James Bolam but he did a Docurama about That Doctor who killed his patients, People say they vote a certain way because they always have but then that Party do something really Stupid, You must never Blindly think just because someone is associated with it you should support it that is silly IMHO.
  • MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    The reason i  (and most other people)love David Suchet's portrayal is that he played the character as Agatha Christie painted him (to us)over the years.
    The problems start (in my opinion)is when actors try to portray "another aspect"of the character or "I wanted to show a different (softer/harder)side to the character"
    We as individuals will rarely agree with someone else's interpretation when it has be altered.

Would you agree ???
  • I think that is true. The comments on this forum prove that we rarely agree when changes are made 'artistically'.I would not criticise a director for casting an actor who lacked the egg-shaped head and the small stature, but the precise words and the style of speaking has to be copied from the books. I think AC's dialogue was so true to how people naturally speak, and so rich in nuances, that an actor can convey a lot of the character simply via AC's printed direct speech. I didn't have an issue with Peter Ustinov playing Poirot in the 1970s, or was it 80s, version of Death on the Nile. He was a bit emphatic whe he spoke, and loudly flamboyant, but it worked.