Agatha's Axioms and Articles of Faith

"An axiom or postulate is a premise or starting point of reasoning. As classically conceived, an axiom is a premise so evident as to be accepted as true without controversy. The word comes from the Greek axíōma (ἀξίωμα) 'that which is thought worthy or fit' or 'that which commends itself as evident.' "  

Agatha Christie's books and short stories suggest several such postulates and articles of faith which she not merely subscribed to, but based her plots on.  

Here is a list that by no means is complete, and I deliberately do not list her faith that British Justice, which has already been discussed at some length under the topic "Taking Disgraceful Liberties with Christie's loyalty to and Faith in British Justice".   

Can we identify more of such axioms and name titles that support the axiom concerned?  In fact it will be even more interesting if we can identify novels or stories which CONTRADICT a listed axiom.  
  1. Life has a Purpose (Faith based antithesis of Nihilism) - Towards Zero, ... 
  2. Never trust a black sheep - Ordeal by Innocence, A Pocket Full of Rye, Sparkling Cyanide / Yellow Iris, Towards Zero, ... 
  3. Give 'em enough rope ... make them talk - Funerals Are Fatal (After the Funeral), Five Little Pigs (Murder in Retrospect), ... 
  4. "You see, but you don't observe!"  - Murder on the Links, ABC Murders, ... 
  5. The victim's personality itself is often a clue - Hercule Poirot's Christmas, Five Little Pigs (Murder in Retrospect), Murder on the Links, ... 
  6. Psychology of the Individual in murder investigations -  A Pocket Full of Rye, Death in the Clouds, ... 
  7. ... ??? ... 

Comments

• Spoilers Below:

Some additional examples for SiddharthaS's axioms:
    1. The Moving Finger
    5. Evil Under the Sun, The Mirror Crack'd

New axioms:
    7. "It is romantic, yes [...] It is peaceful. The sun shines. The sea is blue. But you forget, Miss Brewster, there is evil everywhere under the sun." (Evil Under the Sun, 15): In other words, evil is everywhere, even in the most unlikely places - Examples = Evil Under the Sun, Dead Man's Folly, The Moving Finger, etc.
    8. "I have said over and over again, not only to you, my dear Dermot - if I may call you so - that it is always the obvious person who has done the crime." (The Mirror Crack'd, 185): This is one of Christie's favorite tricks, to trick us into thinking it is not the most obvious suspect only to show us that it was the most obvious person after all (of course she does not use this trick in every book, otherwise one would always be able to work out who the killer is) - Examples = The Mirror Crack'd, The Mysterious Affair at Styles, The Hollow, etc.
  • One more axiom: 

9. Parents have to let children go, to give them "a little healthy neglect" (Ordeal by innocence), to let them live their own lives, and take responsibility for their own mistakes (Crooked house). 

Also, another example for axiom 5 (the victim's personality is the clue) - The Mirror Cracked.
  • Very good  hypothesis, Siddhartha S, and very good examples P-Lombard.

I would say that linked to the black sheep axiom, there is the idea of a person who is unscrupulous, who often acquits themself well in situations of danger - wartime, for instance,(see Taken at the Flood)  and, I think it has been said that there brain is wired differently. Modern scientists would use the 'sociopath' label. We can, by association, state that AC did not believe in modern theories of psychology, and seems to have believed in biblical ideas of good and evil. It seems that she did not believe that nurture is stronger than nature (see discussion between characters in Mrs McGinty's Dead) . References to Lily Gambol in Mrs McGinty's Dead, and to the childhood of the main character in Towards Zero suggest that AC believed that individuals were born good or bad. Poirot says of Lily Gambol that someone who takes a meat cleaver to their aunt is not a nice child. The suggestion is that therapy won't reform a person such as Lily Gambol. In Mrs McGinty's Dead, the murderer SPOILER ALERT, wants dispensation because he feels his murderous ways are inherited and not his fault. A novel about adoption hints that upbringing will not change the unique nature of a person. Modern readers would lack sympathy will some of AC's ideas along these lines, and feel that they would not be acceptable today had they been stated explicitly instead of hinted at.
  • I ought to add that in the later novel, Murder at Bertram's Hotel, AC does seem to be embracing modern ideas on character being formed by environment. There is a mother who is reckless and unscrupulous but outgoing; there is a suggestion that her flyness is a sort of natural, healthy risk taking which has something honest and frank about it - though she hides SPOILER ALERT her criminal ways of course. Her daughter is portrayed as a repressed version of the mother: all that energy has turned inward, and the suggestion is their is something nasty, sly and unhealthy and ultimately more dangerous about the daughters mischevious and errant ways. Perhaps, following Tali talking about AC taking on new ideas, I might suggest that AC was starting to accept the axiom that environment and upbringing shape the personality of the individual. That said, even in the very late Elephants Do Remember (or whatever it was about forgetting) the key characters are obsessing about whether a bad character might be inherited, so she still had that kind of black sheep hang up about some people being made a bit odd and dangerous.
  • AnubisAnubis Ontario, Canada
    10. The life of one person is more important than the life of the country. E.g., The Patriotic Murders, (or whatever title you might know it as — the one where the dentist is translated into the beyond.) Even though AC evidently prefers austerity to Keynesianism (shudder), Poirot does not let the guilty party go "for the good of the country."
  • Griselda, It is interesting that in "Mrs. McGinty's Dead" the murderer feels he can't help it because of his heritage. John Dickson Carr, in his book "Scandal at High Chimneys", published 7 years after "Mrs McGinty", asks the same question. in his book, too, SPOILER an adopted child, issue of a murderess, kills the adopting parent in order to hide his/her origins. The narrator assumes that she/he has inherited the biological mother's instincts, but the detective hotly repudates it - he states that the circumstances of having been spoiled excessively all through life, and then have the easy respectable life he/she had been brought up to expect put in danger, make her/him chose the easy (and evil) way out. So that in the same period, both theories were in vogue - nature (AC) and nurture (Carr). Again, I wonder if Carr read MMD and whether his novel (set in earlier, Victorian times) is some kind of rebuttal.
  • How very interesting, Tali. I would imagine that he had read MMD. I note that The Times and other serious publications reviewed her work contempraneously, and I think there would have been excitement at the thought of a new work. Detective fiction was quite a cult genre in the middle of the 20th Century, and serious people would read it, in the way that they read science fiction by the greats such as Terry Pratchett in our times. I sense that Agatha Christie was something of a JK Rowling in her day: celebrated during her lifetime, enjoying great sales, and confounding her critics with the sheer quality and originality of her stories. People do critique Rowling's work by saying it is for readers who lack imagination, etc, but faced by the huge popularity of the works, critics have to concede that they have the power to thrill, entertain and move.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

The Patriot Murders are for people who don't know (I didn't) One Two Buckle My Shoe.

Thank Tommy. I knew it was something like that, but not sure of the exact title.

I recall reading the blurb on a John Dickson Carr book that was written by AC. It said something like, "Mr Carr's mysteries are the only ones that always baffle me." So we know that she did read his books, which in turn lends support to the idea that he read hers, and that there could be some sort of "dialogue" going on between them. But I think each author tended to focus on the niche she or he had created. AC was more "who did it," and JDC was more "how was it done."

Griselda, your comments raise an interesting question: Is the most popular author the best one? There would be lots of debate about that.
  • SiddharthaSSiddharthaS Michigan, United States
    @Anubis (Is the most popular author the best one?) "Most popular" is relatively easy to understand; but what should be the criteria for calling an author "best" needs to be understood and agreed upon first.  Right?   
  • It depends, but when you get an absolute mad rush to buy a book, you have to think that there is something of quality there. We obviously believe that a really, really, really, popular artist/writer does have something of genius about them, because we are always finding ways to endorse AC's style, and her methods. Growing up, I was always reading critics saying that Agatha Christie's characters were stereotypical, that her plots were similar, and, most of all, that there was no depth to her work. We just don't believe that, and we feel moved by her genius.
    The Best one could be the most original one, this might unfortunately cancel Agatha Christie out because there are similarities between Poirot and Holmes who came first but There again Detective Fiction-wise he only created Holmes and Watson where as Agatha Christie Created Miss Marple, The Beresfords, Mr Quin, Parker Pyne and those who accompanied them  The Best could be the one who sold the most Books and as Agatha Christie has only been out-sold by The Bible and Shakespeare it is her even if now she has been beeten by J K Rowling, It could be the one who gives the most pleasure and as ACs Books have been bought my more people than other Crime Writers again The "Best" is her, I like to think the best is Agatha Christie, I find her easier to read than others of her Generation and older and more enjoyable than modern Writers of Gory Crime Fiction but just as good as the Writers of the type I read and without her would we have them? 
    Good points, SiddarthaS, Griselda, and Tommy. I was actually thinking of "best" in terms of all writers, not just mystery writers. Let me say that when it comes to the great AC, I come down firmly on both sides of the fence. Figuratively speaking that is. It would be too painful to do that literally. So AC is definitely one of my favourites, certainly my favourite mystery writer, and I think snide critics are wrong to dismiss her as shallow. Her books provide great enjoyment. And many people find a profound meaning in her works, as comments in this chat site can testify. But, is popularity a good indication of whether a writer/book is good or not? Clearly not, for there are any number of writers who were popular in their day, but did not stand the test of time. For instance, the Philo Vance mysteries of S.S. Van Dine were among the most popular books in the world in the 1930s, and now no one reads these. Other indications of whether a book is "good" or not, include a) does it influence other writers (Shakespeare, the Bible) b) do the people in the book undergo a change of understanding or character (Catcher in the Rye) c) does it look at something in a new way d) was it written to express an important idea e) does it use beautiful language f) does it lead you to change your point of view g) are the characters rich in nuance?
  • I like your spot on analysis, Anubis.For me, it depends on one's taste. I am populist, I think. I'm one of those people who will listen to chart music compilations with my teenage son, and find a lot of tracks I love High production values can actually make a track good, not just slick. I will tend to think that obscure country and rock bands beloved by his dad are obscure for a good reason, eg they are relatively speaking weak, and the NME magazine writers must be pushing them to seem different and cutting edge. Second point, Shakespeare wrote plays to pay the bills; he wrote for ordinary town's folk who would throw oranges at him if the action became boring. Shakespeare was a popular dramatist in his time. Thirdly, some AC works are deeper and more complex than others. The Sittaford Mystery has a great premise as regards motive - all, just about of her works do too - but it relies on Emily, who is that Egg Lytton Gore, one in The Man in the Brown Suit and Why Didn't They Ask Evans type of feisty, quirky looking female to give it spirit, interest and humour. But Death on the Nile is a much more carefully drawn study as per characters, and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd more developed in plot, setting, character, detail. So which works do we consider as being typical of AC when we decide if she is popular or high brow great literature? If you take writing as a craft, she is brilliant. If  you want to say great literature reveals 'important ideas', then she isn't as profound as some other writers, perhaps.
    Anubis's criteria seem fairly exhaustive.

Referring to one of them, obviously Christie herself was heavily influenced by Shakespeare.  She was able to demonstrate the universality of Shakespeare's characters so beautifully that he himself would probably have gratefully acknowledged her masterly elaborations of his themes!   

Shakespeare and his quotes stay in our minds after so many centuries not necessarily because they are all eternal truths applicable in all contexts.  They resonated with generations because they gave expression to what humans feel and think in certain commonly experienced situations. Shakespeare's huge repertoire of quotes covering a wide spectrum of human experience is perhaps the most important reason for his immortality.  People across centuries have been able to relate to them. 

Nevertheless, it is for discerning readers to appreciate those quotes in the context of the situation the character faces.  To forget the character who speaks those words in a certain context, and to accept those words as eternally valid for all purposes would be superficial.  
    Consider Macbeth's lament about life being meaningless.  I don't know if that quote itself led to conceptualizing Nihilistic thought, but if any all time generalization is to be made from this specific situation in Macbeth, it must not be that Life itself is meaningless.  But I shall come back to it presently. 

***SPOILERS***

Christie's references to Iago are easily found - a whole book is written on that theme, not to mention the short story "Mystery of the Spanish Chest" in which Poirot explicitly invokes characters from Othello. 

The best implicit reference to Shakespeare I thought is found in Christie's "Death on the Nile", which I thought was an excellent representation of a 20th Century Macbeth & Lady Macbeth.    

Macbeth and Lady Macbeth were a highly ambitious couple.  They were unscrupulous in the pursuit of what they selfishly sought.  The brain behind their adventures, indeed the motive force, was Lady Macbeth; while Macbeth himself was the one who acted out his Lady's ambitious schemes.  When he finds himself in difficulty without Lady Macbeth around, he feels lost like a rudderless ship.  Such people in such situations are naturally going to feel what Macbeth felt - he merely voices that frustration by calling life meaningless.  

In "Death on the Nile", when the modern Lady Macbeth's grand scheme fails, Christie's Macbeth ends up feeling lost and helplessly asks his Lady "What shall we do now?".  

This is but one example of how deeply Agatha Christie's characters were influenced by their Shakespearean counterparts. Perhaps that is why they seem so real, and perhaps it also explains why her mysteries became classics rather than the lowly whodunits in literary rankings.      

But just because Shakespeare's Macbeth said it, Life does not become meaningless.  While we may often feel that Life is meaningless, we ought to have the Faith that there is some "cosmic" purpose behind all creation, like Christie's nurse tells us at the beginning of "Towards Zero".  Our failure to comprehend the larger scheme of things is merely a measure of our ignorance; and so we ought to strive to find that meaning and travel our own journeys to draw conclusions, never giving up on keeping an open mind. 

Christie is great because her books and her characters have the power to make readers reflect on life.   

SiddarthaS, that is a very eloquent analysis. The comparison between Macbeth and Death on the Nile never occurred to me, but it certainly is apt. I remember a comment that Pride and Prejudice has the same plot as a thousand Mills and Boon or Harlequin romances, but is superior to them because of the wisdom with which the author writes about the characters. Perhaps the same comment can be made about AC's stories.
    Probably, just because a Plot has been done before doesn't necessarily mean the 1st is the best, it is how you execute your Idea.
    To stretch Tommy's thought a bit further...

When a subsequent author worth her salt  (in this case AC) looks at a classical idea from the pioneering author (in this case WS), likes it, and wants to use it in one of her plots, she would want to add value to the original concept in some form.  A treatment of the theme without further embellishment would merely be a low caliber repetition. 

In case of Macbeth / Death-on-the-Nile, Christie had the benefit of a few centuries of additional human experience to draw from, such as better understanding of human behavior through psychological perspective. 

***SPOILER***

When Death-on-the-Nile's Macbeth asks Lady Macbeth, "What shall we do now?", the modern Lady Macbeth realizes that it is time to change her role from that of a thinker to that of a doer, for Macbeth has no capacity any more to take action at her bidding.  She has spontaneously and effectively acted once before on the cue provided by Macbeth.  This time she knows that she must do both swiftly, think as well as act.  It will be the final action she would take on behalf of both of them.  She takes it without hesitation.  

Don't we come across such transitions in every day family life? Fortunately not every couple does what the Macbeths did. 

Think of the redeeming example of Colonel and Mrs. Bantry in "Body in the Library".  The scandal on his premises makes the good old man depressed (reiterating Christie's own theme of "Ordeal by Innocence").  That is where Mrs. Bantry knows she has to act decisively, and requisitions Miss Marple's services to allow her husband to breathe freely once again.   
    Probably because I have never seen or Read any Shakespeare I have never got The Romeo amd Juliet Connection with Death On The Nile but I see it now.
  • I'd like to go back to an earlier point - about Shakespeare writing for bread, i.e. popular acclaim. Going back even further, to the Bible - there are chapters in the Old Testament which are definitely "storytellers' yarns". Think, for instance of the second version of genesis (Genesis chapter 2) - the story of Adam and Eve and the snake in the Garden of Eden. Or Lot's escape from Sodom. Or the story of Job (not the philosophical dialogues, but the framework story - the first chapters and the last). In terms of the story, you can practically hear the traditional storyteller sitting in the marketplace, telling the story and when he finishes passing his hat around for remuneration. Does that make them any less great? On the contrary, they are marvelous! Especially for Job, the framework story catches the reader's interest, so that there is a chance that he will even read the philosophical dialogues! My point is that "popular" and "great" may even have more in common than the critics will admit. (due disclosure - I'm Jewish, so I'm not familiar with the New Testament, that's why my examples are only from the Old Testament). 
    taliavishay-arbel - My understanding of Shakespeare does not extend to biographical details, for I am merely a consumer of his bountiful writing.  Still, if that movie is historically accurate, even Queen Elizabeth attended his presentations and plays, so Royal patronage was bestowed upon him at a fairly youthful age.  There was no stopping him after that!  Historically, literary greats did not blossom till they received some such assurance of basic sustenance.  Indian great Kalidasa is famous for Kumar-Sambhav, Meghdoot, Raghu-Vansh, ... (Sanskrit classics) was struggling for sustenance when emperor Vikramaditya spotted his talent.  

Regardless, I believe that some of the best literature has historically come from folklore, from the raw experiences of people who had to struggle hard to survive.  Since all societies go through such phases, perhaps many societies and cultures produced excellent literature that never came to light.  I think what turns an excellent author into a historical celebrity is the sustained world dominance by his society.  Short of sponsorship by such a society, the best authors may be lost in obscurity.  

Those lines from Blake's "Auguries of Innocence" that Christie quotes at the beginning of "Endless Night" would also apply to such unfortunate literary figures:  

"Every night and every morn, some to misery are born 
     Every morn and every night, some are born to sweet delight 
     Some are born to sweet delight, some are born to endless night".  

• I think that Agatha Christie and JK Rowling are celebrated, best-selling authors because people like to read their books, and tell their friends about the great stories they have discovered?
    What interesting comments. In "The Golden Thread", Bruce Meyer supports what has been said above with the suggestion that certain books are "great" because subsequent authors have been able to update them to reflect current existence. For instance, he notes that T.S. Eliot's "The Wasteland" owes a debt to the stories of the Holy Grail. Just to be persnickety though, I suggest that "great" and "popular" are not synonymous. While many "great" tales are popular, I am less willing to accept that all popular tales are "great". 
  • All popular tales might not qualify for the label of greatness, but that is not to say that popular tales cannot be great. It is worth saying this because there is a tendency for people, and especially critics and high brow people, to assume that anything popular must be trashy. As said, my ex-husband and his friends would never listen to popular music, having dismissed all of it as rubbish.  Lots of people I know think that all talent show contestants are mediocre, and tv soap operas can never aspire to artistic greatness. I wonder sometimes if commentators thought that T.S Eliot's work was good because it was obscure. I hate it. I feel it begins an era of art challenging what is wholesome and light, and proposing that what is dark, unhappy and twisted is more truthful. One of the things I like about AC is that there is a positive emphasis on balance, goodness and the value of ordinary mundane aspects of life.
  • My mother was much more "highbrow" in her literary tastes than me - I read Shakespeare and romantic romances, Dickens and AC with equal pleasure, while she preferred the more "Literary" authors, and rather scorned my "lowly" taste. However, as she reached maturity and old age, she developed a clear preference for "friendly" reads - that is, she (and I) prefer to read novels about people that we would enjoy meeting. I think AC definitely meets that criteria, if not that of "High Literature". Besides, quite often the most thought provoking literature is that which is written with the simplest vocabulary and the shortest sentences. We (my mother and I) were mentioning "Pippa passes" - one of the classic, most generally accepted fine pieces of poetry - and in the whole poem, (6 lines), all but 2 words have one syllable each! One of the things I like about AC is that non-native English speakers can enjoy her books in english, without feeling that they are being "written down to".
  • Hi Tali, I so agree. There is something special about AC's way with language and dialogue. 
    Griselda: You mean you didn't like "Cats"? I loved "Cats." And Talia, Dickens and Shakespeare are hardly "low-brow." Yes, sometimes popular artists are derided because they are popular. For instance, IMHO, even today the Beatles are not recognized for how good they really were. And AC too. She definitely had a way with language. But having a large vocabulary enables one to express a wider variety of feeling and topics with more nuance. S.J. Pereleman and P.G. Wodehouse were both great humorists who used vocabulary to enhance their effect. But popular is not always good.

I used to watch Coronation Street but for me it has lost its humour anyway, my point is when hearing an Actress talk about her Plot once she mentioned Shakespeare and another Actress said if Shakespeare was around he would be writing for the series so perhaps as AC mentions The Bard a lot perhaps she would write for Corrie if she was around today perhaps she would if her Books became unfashionable or perhaps to raise extra Cash.

I think The Contestants of Talent Shows have mediocrity as an Ambition.

• According to an article I read for one of my classes, what makes a work of literature great changes over time. The article contrasts the literary reputations of Nathaniel Hawthorne and Herman Melville, who today are considered by literary critics to be two of the greatest 19th century American authors. In the 19th century, Nathaniel Hawthorne and Herman Melville were considered complete opposites. Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote in prose as clear as running water, about nice people that you meet everyday, and taught good Christian values. Herman Melville wrote in an abstruse and bizarre style (which some critics interpreted as evidence that Melville was mad), about lunatics, and his works bordered on atheism. Nowadays, critics admire both Hawthorne and Melville for dealing with the darker aspects of life.

Who canonical authors envisioned as their audience also has changed immensely over time. Shakespeare famously wrote his plays for both the highest of the high and the lowest of the low. Plays during Shakespeare's life were not considered a form of literature. Thus, to cement his literary reputation, Shakespeare wrote his sonnets. When Shakespeare's contemporary, Ben Jonson, included his plays in an anthology of his works, the critics were appalled. This innovation paved the way for the posthumous publication of Shakespeare's collected plays in the first folio.

Charles Dickens and most 19th century authors wrote for popular audiences. Copyright was appallingly lacking in the 19th century. Consequently, 19th century authors' works were frequently plagiarized or re-printed without their permission. As a result, 19th century authors often struggled to make a living off of their writings. For example, Edgar Allen Poe was widely read in 19th century America, but mostly in unauthorized editions. Consequently, Poe died practically penniless (but his poverty was somewhat exaggerated by the guy who gave the speech at Poe's funeral [the guy who gave the speech was Poe's biggest enemy and tried to insult him throughout the speech] and this speech served as the foundation for many modern misconceptions of Poe).

In the 20th century, T.S. Eliot and other modernists thought writing for popular audiences was beneath them. They purposely tried to create difficult work that were intended to be appreciated by a discerning few. Some early modernist critics alleged that Dickens' works could not possess any literary merit because he wrote for "the masses". Today, some critics see Agatha Christie and other authors writing during the Golden Age of detective fiction as reacting to the elitism, cynicism, and difficulty of the modernists.

• Hi P-Lombard, I really enjoyed reading your explanation which will, I am sure, clarify areas of uncertainty for many of us. It is a really useful overview, thank you.