DECEMBER 2015 BOOK OF THE MONTH - THE ADVENTURE OF THE CHRISTMAS PUDDING

TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom

Described as “an indulgence of my own” by Agatha Christie, The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding short story collection is the perfect read to get you into the festive spirit. Christie.  Have you read all of the short stories in this collection? 

Share your thoughts and comments about The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding as a collection, and on the individual short stories themselves.

Comments

• Pat_septemberPat_september Gauteng, South Africa
    What a great read! One of my all time favorites!
  • I feel AC is better with characters who came from what I imagine to have been her own social milieu. I think when she gets into princes, Dukes, jewels, spies, diplomats it becomes a farce.( eg, Cat Among the Pigeons, and silly spy stories like The Big Four, and some Tommy and Tuppence) Same goes for science fiction stories for me, they are all so removed from the norm that almost anything goes. Nothing could reasonably make you care or feel surprised. Still, you can find pleasure in the other people in this month's novel, even if the plot is silly. The Christmas traditions are lovely, and make me feel nostalgic for a past that can never be recovered.I wish Britain had retained more of its old customs. Other countries are so much more sensible and traditional about preserving special days,and festivities. As one of my Sri Lankan friends said, we only have Christmas here, whereas her family gathers to celebrate all sorts of special days. We should have kept Micahelmass Day and May Day traditions. 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

I agree with you when it comes to Science Fiction but I like CaT Among The Pigeons, I find it fun as I do with Tommy and Tuppence, I am undecided about The Big Four, I am re-reading it now.

• AnubisAnubis Ontario, Canada
    Griselda and Tommy, I sympathize with your attitude about science fiction, especially these days it seems like most sci-fi stories are preposterous tales with laser guns and 5¢ philosophy. BUT, some authors use sci-fi and fantasy as an allegorical device to convey profound ideas. For example, the movie Forbidden Planet was a reworking of Shakespeare's Tempest. Planet of the Apes was about the treatment of displaced minorities and the importance of caring for our planet.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Yes I get that Star Trek was all about getting everyone t live in Peace and Harmony together, It doesn't stop me finding the Genre Boring though.
  • Yes, I think you are probably quite right, Anubis, just as Swift's Gulliver's Travels was an allegory for society's foibles here in the real world. The trouble is, I don't think that Agatha Christie's ideas on world politics bear scrutiny. To paraphrase in a scarcely exaggerated way," Lots of very important people behind all the really bad movements in the world which stir up no end of trouble for governments. That's who we're looking for" said M from Top Secret Department, Whitehall. "But they're very clever chappies, and just when we think we've got them they disappear." Or 'All the very, very big money decisions, all over the world are made by five people. They're behind all the really big shopping for industries, and they move money around the world with nobody really noticing. There's a Johnnie in Japan, a fellow in Africa, and one in Europe. We know who the African chap is, but we can't get to the Europe man. Everybody thinks the governments make decisions, but really the world is like a giant monopoly board with five players." How someone could have been so profoundly aware of human psychology, but so dense when it comes to movements confounds me. 
  • MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    Merry Christmas everyone.Happy Holidays !!!!!! I hope next year is a busy and productive year in  Agatha Christie world 
  • Merry Christmas, Marc, and a happy New Year! What a scary start to it with ATTWN.
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    I read this story every year and I have to admit it took me a few reads to really understand how the story was connected.  It was funny to read Poirot dreading the potential cold of the home he is asked to go to.  
  • I have just visited the rest of the website and seen that Murder on the Orient Express is book of the month for January 2016. However, I can't see it listed on the forum topics.
  • ChristeryChristery Rhode Island, United States
    I enjoyed the Christmas Pudding story ( and in fact all the other stories in this collection) and this is the story I recommend to Christie fans who are looking for the old fashioned British "Christmasy" feeling as opposed to Hercule Poirot's Christmas which, although it takes place at Christmastime, really has few Holiday references and could really have taken place anytime of year if you took out a few snow references. One could tell that Agatha really warmed here to the nostalgic task of describing all the traditional festivities and, of course, the traditional Pudding itself plays an important part in the plot. This is one that can be enjoyed again for many Christmases to come!
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I think the Christmas Pudding story is one of my favorites short stories. I read it every Christmas! I love it! I can have an idea of a holliday very different from I'm use to. It's just amazing!
  • MohanMohan Chennai
    Like I mentioned elsewhere, this one is among my top favourites!  There are so MANY things about this that I simple love.  The first is the utter disdain and contempt the grandfather has for his granddaughter's boyfriend.  How is the intelligent grandmother adroitly inserts the fact in conversation with Sarah that her boyfriend has knock-knees is really clever!  Sarah's secretive liking of the old-fashioned Christmas and her refusal to admit it is charming.  [Spoiler] The way the actual mould breaks and is substituted with another and how that affects the story is one of the best things about Christmas Pudding.  Most of all, how Poirot neatly turns the table on the three teenagers who attempt to play a trick on him closes this story with a dramatic flourish!  Brilliant and even after so many re-reads I never get tired of this!