Grave

I wonder if fellow fans can help. I recently visited AC grave in Cholsey and was horrified to see it in such a poor neglected state. The headstone has faded and is sinking. I would like to.write to.her Grandson who is making a fortune from her books and the Mouse Trap. Does anyone know how to contact him. It really is a sad disgrace. 

Comments

• I tried to find an e-mail for him and couldn't. I can only hope (though it's a slim chance) that he sees this here.
  • Sad to hear/read that. It's really a shame.
  • I found an e-mail address for Agatha Christie Ltd. and wrote them about the state of the grave, and requested them to pass on the information and the request renovate it to the proper authorities. Hope it helps.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I found an e-mail address for Agatha Christie Ltd. and wrote them about the state of the grave, and requested them to pass on the information and the request renovate it to the proper authorities. Hope it helps.

Very nice of you. But it's very sad to read about the state of her grave. Meanwhile, there're a lot of people making money from her stories.
  • edited January 2016
    That's life. Sometimes you need to initiate the change. A couple of true stories from Israel - A well known and well loved educator from the beginning of the 20th century, Vitkin, who has a village, many streets and schools named after him, is buried in Rishon LeTzion. When we were at the old graveyard (our family comes from Rishon, and Vitkin was was a friend of my great-grandparents) we visited his grave and found, as with AC's grave, that is was neglected, cracked and mouldy. Mother wrote a couple of organizations - the town museum and Archive, and I think the old school as well - and as a result the school "adopted" the grave, renovating it and having regular ceremonies by the grave and learning about Vitkin and his contribution to education and to this country. I had a similar story here in Jerusalem - in a schoolyard, in a neglected corner, there was a memorial to the paratroopers who fought in Jerusalem in the 6 day war - and it was neglected and dirty. I brought it to the attention of the principal, and the school took over the memorial, cleaning it, planting flowers around it and holding Jerusalem day ceremonies including it. So sometimes all it takes is to bring up the issue and get people interested. 
  • I just recieved the following response from the Christie Archive to my letter: 

"Your email was forwarded to me from Agatha Christie Ltd. Just to let you know that I spoke with Agatha Christie's family about the grave and they are indeed planning to have the grave maintained properly going forwards, and they thank you for your message and concern. 

Best wishes"

I think the thanks are due to iffleyducks who brought up the issue. Thank you.