MYSTERY MAN SPOILER FORUM

GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
You asked for one, so here it is!  Use this forum for spoiler-filled discussions of the clues and the game.  But please, if you don't want to be spoiled, don't read any further!

Comments

• AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    Great idea for a forum! I will say this here although some may have figured it out already, every time I find one of the solider boys I try and leave a hint.
  • GraybearGraybear West Sussex, U.K.
    I am terrible at giving clues as I'm either really cryptic or I give it away! 
  • Dr.SheppardDr.Sheppard Oxford, UK
    There are two books to browse through for the solution to The Mystery Man Game 2016. 1. The Agatha Christie Who's Who's by Randall Toye, and 2. An Agatha Christie Encyclopedia by Matthew Bunson. Both these books list all the characters, no matter how small, in every Christie book. Confirmed (I hope) by today's clue, there is only one possible thief that matches the clue's we have been given - yesterday there were two. 
  • misstulipmisstulip Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
    Are you looking at the clues as a puzzle? Possibly an anagram? Or do the names themselves point to a thief?
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I think they point towards one direction. But, I'm not sure.
    There are two books to browse through for the solution to The Mystery Man Game 2016. 1. The Agatha Christie Who's Who's by Randall Toye, and 2. An Agatha Christie Encyclopedia by Matthew Bunson. Both these books list all the characters, no matter how small, in every Christie book. Confirmed (I hope) by today's clue, there is only one possible thief that matches the clue's we have been given - yesterday there were two. 
    Thank Dr. Sheppard for making me aware of these books. I have to admit I have not heard of either one, and will try and add them to my collection. Thanks again!
    Yes thank you @Dr.Sheppard for the books. I think I will have to invest in them. 
  • swilks1991swilks1991 Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    I have no idea what the clues point to haha. A thief but not a murderer? I can think of one that is very prominent but I can't see how the clues lead to them??
    Agathasmykid, Graybear. I was doing some research for a conference/talk last year and found the hardback books on Amazon for 1p each (currently £2+ & £3+), dust jackets not so good, but the books are mint condition. Amazon offers a click to view inside, so you have an idea of what the contents are.
    I actually found in our local library! Check there first for the game is afoot! Then you can buy later. 
    I think I'm getting close!
    Help me out here misstulip. The Game is Afoot. appears to be a book about Sherlock Holmes. 
    Sorry! Not a hint. Just an expression! I realized I couldn't order the books you recommended in time and found at the library. As the game is underway, that might be a resource for other players!
    BTW, are your deductions panning out as expected? :)
    misstulip Good point about the library. One of my two books is an ex-library book. Re the game, yes. I have used the initial letters to give me an anagram. 
    I think there is only one option at this point but the numbers aren't adding up - if you know what I mean. There is a way though. Still possible...
    My local libraries have come up short and Amazon haven't got a cheap copy at the moment but I will keep a look out for one. However in the meantime - can someone hint as to what I'm looking for with my clues please I.e first letters forming an anagram, does the order they were given mean anything? Am I completely on the wrong track? I've hit a brick wall!
    edited March 2016
    I think I have it. Think. Not sure. Because my answer is missing something. I think you're on the right path though with what you've noted above. 
    Thank you @. I'll keep working on it! 
    If I can confirm what I've got is right, I will help further. I just don't want to set anyone down the wrong path!
  • Getting the above mentioned books is not possible for me, so I have to rely on internet and my grey cells! I've been trying the first letter anagram thing, but I feel I'l still need some help. Are any more hints going to be officially posted? ( "thief but not murderer" types)
    rekha.srivalli Let's confirm that some of us have actually solved it this morning, then we will be bragging about it. Keep you eyes open.
  • @Dr.Sheppard  sure. I'll do that 
  • micgreermicgreer Spring, USA
    I think I have solved it and sent in my answer.  Everything fit so I am hopeful.
  • Finally! After 90 mins of hard work, I figured it out - don't even know how - an epiphany. Finally, a game that really made the grey cells work! Perfect Friday evening! :)
    A hint please anyone? From a novel or short story? Anything lol??? I've never been good at anagrams. So frustrating to find all the clues then not have the least idea of the final answer.
  • Same here. Can anyone post a hint or something. 
  • Try to see what Christian names the anagram might hide - these names hopefully will trigger something. Remember, you are not looking for a murderer! The person you are looking for is connected to a very popular story that you all know probably. :)
    Yaaaaaaay I've got it. Thank you
  • i need help :( it's so frusturating not knowing the final answar after finding all the clues

• The character is from a Poirot novel.
    P_Lombard said:
    The character is from a Poirot novel.
    Hmmm, no wonder i haven't been able to figure it out yet. I guessed the right detective, but was searching a short story of his.