Evil Under the Sun?

perryperry ireland
edited March 2016 in All Poirot novels
Just re- read Evil Under the Sun. I had thought there was an element of someone on the sea in a boat and much investigation/discussion of how much they could see of  the island. Was this in an other novel? Or in a film adaption? Or are there different versions of this novel?

There is mention of the sea/boat and the bottle being thrown but not of how far the person in the boat could see of the island

Comments

• I don't think that there are different versions of the novel. What I remember is discussion about whether Rosemary Darnley would have been visible from the sea whilst she was sitting on Sunny Ledge reading.  There was much discussion about whether you could see the beach where the body was found - was it Pixie's Cove? - from the top of the cliff. One of the things which scuppered Mrs Redfearn's story SPOILER was that she spoke of seeing Linda swimming, and would have needed to lean right over at the cliff top to do this. Or was this in the Jacqueline Biset film version, and not the novel? The bottle was thrown in to the sea and nearly hit Miss Brewster who was swimming. Indeed, as you say, a lot evolves around who could have seen what, e.g. Rosemary Darnley seeming Kenneth typingfrom the open door. Both major film dramatisations were very good, weren't they? They added elements, but did not really damage the original. The silly bit in the original book was SPOILER, Christine Redfearn talking about overhearing Arlene talking to a blackmailer. (I think it was in the book )Too preposterous and easy to disprove, or at least to be thought a bit weird. Someone like Poirot would be bound to think that that claim sounded outlandish and like something from a detective novel.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    There aren't different versions of the novel. But the adaptions are different. So as the game.
    SPOILER In the book (and David Suchet version), a bottle was thrown by Mrs. Redfearn near Miss Brewster and almost hit her as far as I remember. Peter Ustinov also, but they changed Miss Brewster sex.
    @Griselda, SPOILER, It's  in the book. Mrs. Redfearn's alibi is Linda. And she said that she saw Linda swimming. But, In order to do that, she had to lean right over at the cliff. On the other hand,  she said that she suffers from vertigo, so how she coud have done this? It's impossible unless she was lying.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Triangle at Rhodes and The Blood-stained Pavement and another I can't remember the name of are Short Story re-workings of Evil Under The Sun.