Reading Order

burtbarnardburtbarnard Salt Lake City, United States
Which should I read first, Murder in Mesopotamia or Murder on the Orient Express? I have seen both ways  on different lists.

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I go by Wikipedia and that says Orient Express 1st I don't suppose it matters as long as you read express before Appointmement With Death.
  • I would suggest Murder on the Orient Express first.  They are two very different style detective novels, and you will probably like them both, but Orient Express is one of her best mysteries while Murder in Mesopotamia is not a classic.  It can wait.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    You might find Murder in Mesopotamia slow, but there again I found Murder On The Orient Express a let-down.
  • In terms of publishing and probably writing too, "Orient" came first (it was published in 1934, "Mesopotamia" in 1936 . However, at the end of "Mesopotamia", the story teller, Amy, recounts that Poirot, after solving the Mesopotamia murder, travels home by the Orient express and solves a murder there - So that in terms of internal chronology, "Mesopotamia" comes first, and I think I'd prefer to have read it first.