90 years of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

2»

Comments

• I'm glad to hear that such enquiries are being promptly answered. It will be good to have an alternative to using the forum - which is designed for discussion about the novels and dramatisations.
  • It doesn't make too much sense to post a "general enquiries" email address as a tag line in the discussion forum, but possibly it's a quick way to report someone who is being a nuisance or to ask technical questions about using the site.  If someone didn't know any better or struggles with English, he/she might understand it as the way to start a discussion. 

• aggierocksaggierocks Ipswich uk
    Isn't this the book that Agatha said was ruined by the presence of Poirot?  Perhaps I'm thinking of another book.  All I can say is, at a very young age (10-15) I read all her books, and this one was a zinger!  What an ending!  So few stories have really good endings.  Fooey on the Crime Club and their silly rules.  Agatha knew how to write a cracking good story!  And that's what counts!  One remark I'm desperate to make is this though:  Of all her stories, this is the main one I really believe has NOT been done justice on film one bit!  Even the Suchet version is a complete let-down....why can't anyone film this to get the same impact?  And why do they refuse to follow the book; meaning:  Have Sheppard narrate it!  And do it absolutely by the book.  THEN I think you would have an absorbing, worthy film..
  • Isn't this the book that Agatha said was ruined by the presence of Poirot?  Perhaps I'm thinking of another book. 
    It was actually The Hollow and Sad Cypress
  • One of the most surprising and shocking mysteries i've ever read from Agatha Christie.It was such a misleading story,that all the evidence she gave us through the story slipped by...
  • neodileepneodileep Thiruvananthapuram, India
    My first encounter with AC. The very first book i read of hers. Already have read a lot about her. both appreciation and criticisms. appreciation from those who love reading a good mystery novel. criticism from those who oppose the conventional orthodox mystery (Though she rewrote the rules through this book). Having finished the book today morning. My response may be spontaneous but true from my experience. Anyone can plant a mystery, but to ensure that it is rooted requires talent and courage. Dame AC hasn't just ensured aforementioned, however she simply was able to take the readers imagination for a detour, and one doesn't need to think to give in. Simply amazing. An aspiring writer will be thrilled, but would sure bookmark this novel, because if nothing had clicked, but the language, the way AC has used the real english (Some might disagree to be upper middle class), and reading real english is such a pleasure.